PDA

View Full Version : First consistent night - wrist support

Fishhawk
01-19-2013, 02:52 PM
After a month and a half of league play, my scores are still all over the place. My average is 129 and I'm seeing scores just over 100 to the 160's. I'm consistently inconsistent :-). Even practice games are the same way.

Talking to my teammate about it and she suggested using a wrist brace may help with a more consistent hand position. So I picked one up and last night was the first outing. My first shots were greatly improved and spares had better control.

First game was 147 followed by 152 and closing at 150. I'm pleasantly surprised and thankful for giving it a try! Hopefully this will bring more consistency to my game.

Thought I'd share in case it may help anyone else.

cane
01-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Very nice! I've thought about one myself.

striker12
01-19-2013, 05:23 PM
very well done i have been just like that for awhile up and down all season long

billf
01-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Good job! Thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of us.

SouthpawTRK
01-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Congratulations on gaining consistency and pin count with the wrist brace! Out of curiosity, what make and model did you purchase?

Hammer
01-19-2013, 11:05 PM
I have been on my current league for 26 years now and have always worn a wrist support. I tried bowling without it and my wrist seems like it is flopping all over the place. I came to the conclusion that my wrist needs it. I have no trouble keeping my wrist straight or a little cupped all the way through the release. That translates into good revs on the ball if you want to hook it. Stay with it.

Fishhawk
01-20-2013, 12:23 AM
The wrist device is bowlingball.com's Kool Kontrol wrist positioner.

I'm using a 14# DV8 Maurader, lefty with pin up and left of the ring finger. It's my first fingertip ball and loving it. I've been using off and on a 16# Ebonite Perl straight ball which was my first ball ~25 years ago. I always threw it like a corkscrew anyways so moving to fingertip was a natural transition. I was in junior league for several years with around 160 average and outside of occasional recreational bowling, just recently came back to the sport so dearly missed. It's mind blowing the coverstock technology and technique changes in that time. It's really an exciting time to come back into bowling!

In retrospect, I'd rather have gotten a 15# however I wanted to settle in with the new grip style dealing with the mechanics of the approach and not having (too much) ball weight be an additional challenge.

Cheers
Dan

Tampabaybob
01-23-2013, 07:22 PM
If you're comfortable with a 14#er only go up to a light 15# ball. That way if you switch back and forth the weight difference won't bother you as much. You don't need a 16#er to bowl well. Several of the pros now throw heavy 14# or light 15 lb balls.

Big Nick
01-24-2013, 10:58 AM
I have two hook balls, one 15# and the other 16#, and I don't particularly like the weight of the 16# ball. My spare ball weighs 14#, and I really like that weight. I'm seriously considering switching to nothing but 14# equipment.

e-tank
01-24-2013, 12:20 PM
i love my wrist brace. Helps with my consistency and also keeps my from not just gunning the ball down the lane.