PDA

View Full Version : What is sandbagging?

EboniteKid299
01-22-2013, 01:33 AM
Alright, so I have a legit question about sandbagging.. what is offically considered sandbagging? Tonight in league we had already locked up the half for our league since it was the last week and we were up by more than 4 games to 2nd place. The third game came around and I had not been throwing the ball good all night. I was unsatisfied with my ball reaction and my mechanics. So the 3rd game I starting fishing around a little bit moving left and trying to swing it more to find something if I could while trying to get my mechanics in order. I missed the head pin a little more than usual then realized after a few frames this line was not going to work at all. I then just decided to finish the game by throwing plastic. This set the other team off in fumes. Apparently because I was trying to fix a few physical things with my game during league and find something new if possible on the shot this is considered sandbagging.. I thought sandbagging was intentionally missing spares and bowling bad on purpose. I was not doing any of this. I was not intentionally not throwing strikes or missing spares on purpose.. just trying to fix things before sunday's tournament. Am I really wrong in this situation? I don't think so? Opinions?

ZRock
01-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Could it be poor manners yes. Sandbagging? Nope!

noeymc
01-22-2013, 03:47 AM
its when u bowl below your real avg to get a handicap

if there mad u bowled 2 bad games then bowled a good 3rd game thats there problem wouldn't worry about it

J Anderson
01-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Alright, so I have a legit question about sandbagging.. what is offically considered sandbagging?

I don't think there is an official definition of sandbagging. One of the problems is that unless its blatant, the only one who knows for sure is the sandbagger. Most people think that if a bowler throws a bad first ball or misses a spare after a game is locked up, he or she must be sandbagging. The truth is that all of us are human and, regardless of our intentions, do not always execute well on every shot. On top of that, some of us lose a bit of our focus once the game s decided.

As for your situation, by halfway through the season its hard to manipulate your average. You need about 50 pins difference to move up or down one pin in average. I've never thought of throwing plastic as sandbagging. In the sport league its usually a sign of frustration. Some one will be having a hard time, either finding the right line, or being accurate enough to stay around the pocket with their normal strike ball. They switch to plastic to cut their losses. they may not be getting strikes but they stop leaving splits and washouts.

As to trying or practicing different lines during league, I've tried different lines when my usual shot isn't working. I don't really practice other lines during league but If I was in your position I might, and I certainly wouldn't accuse you sandbagging for doing so.

Zothen
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Sandbagging is where you purposely bowl below your average to gain a handicap! We have a guy who bowls in the high 200's and announced to the league he was going to be sandbagging. Since their is no rule about sandbagging,he did just as he said and has pissed a lot of people off because he usually wins 2 out of 3 side pots with his 40+ pins of handicap.

UBowling
01-22-2013, 01:18 PM
If you intentionally bowl well below your ability to perform in order to gain an advantage by having a lower average, that is sandbagging. Some people do it to get higher handicap, some do it to fit on a team where the league has an average cap.

Struggling for one night and making moves to find something to work is not sandbagging. You would have to do it for multiple weeks to be considered. These people were just angry about losing and wanted something to complain about.

Davec13
01-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't call what you did sandbagging at all. You were attempting to correct your game and things just weren't working for you. That falls under the stuff happens clause of life. :p Sometimes people need to come up with a reason why they lost and blaming the loss on others is easier than finding the fault in their selves.

billf
01-22-2013, 10:46 PM
You were fine. I often go to plastic when I'm struggling. I know exactly how much it should hook and it often helps accentuate what ails me.

unclemantis
01-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Since it is towards the end of the season the other team was just being stressed out. Don't worry about it.

EboniteKid299
01-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I was pretty sure I wasn't wrong here and people are going to be upset when they don't come out on top. It's my first year in an adult league after being in youth leagues and I guess I should probably get used to stuff like this happening right? I just don't enjoy being involved in controversy

unclemantis
01-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I was pretty sure I wasn't wrong here and people are going to be upset when they don't come out on top. It's my first year in an adult league after being in youth leagues and I guess I should probably get used to stuff like this happening right? I just don't enjoy being involved in controversy

Adults focus more on completely different stuff than kids. Adults are crazy. Don't let it get you down.

J Anderson
01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
I just don't enjoy being involved in controversy

You have absolutely no future in politics.

Seriously, part of becoming an adult is learning that even when you've done nothing wrong there can be people who will react as if did. The hard part is figuring out the best way to deal with those people.

UBowling
01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Chalk it up to ignorance. And get used to people doing stuff like that. In any kind of competitive league, there are going to be people who do that. You just have to have a thick shell and laugh at them.

unclemantis
01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Chalk it up to ignorance. And get used to people doing stuff like that. In any kind of competitive league, there are going to be people who do that. You just have to have a thick shell and laugh at them.

When ever there is money involved, the game changes big time.

It's only a game people. If you are looking for make money in bowling then learn some sportsmanship first and enter some scratch games.

The weekly leagues that include handicaps I would assume is for FUN first and MONEY is just a BONUS.

10-in-the-pit
01-24-2013, 04:16 PM
It wasn't bagging, but I would not do that again. Practice different stuff outside of league play, not during the match. Since you have locked up the first half, everyone will be watching to see how much your average changes the 2nd half of the season. In my league, people have been kicked out for doing this, it's flat out stupid and embarrassing. Since you are in your first year in that league, the other bowlers that are trying to win will be watching. This is coming out harsh, but there is money involved and you don't know how people will react when you switch up so drastically, especially after they have seen you bowl for the past 16 week and now you bowl different after the half was wrapped up.

Congrats on winning the half and keep up the good work.

unclemantis
01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
It wasn't bagging, but I would not do that again. Practice different stuff outside of league play, not during the match. Since you have locked up the first half, everyone will be watching to see how much your average changes the 2nd half of the season. In my league, people have been kicked out for doing this, it's flat out stupid and embarrassing. Since you are in your first year in that league, the other bowlers that are trying to win will be watching. This is coming out harsh, but there is money involved and you don't know how people will react when you switch up so drastically, especially after they have seen you bowl for the past 16 week and now you bowl different after the half was wrapped up.

Congrats on winning the half and keep up the good work.

Try and make your changes as much as possible during the first 10 minutes of open bowling.

During the match make SUBTLE changes in your approach.

Again as I have said before. Adults can complain and moan about the silliest things. Sometimes it feels like I am in daycare again. :P

billf
01-24-2013, 08:03 PM
My scratch league Tuesday I was playing straight up 5 and the only one hitting the pocket. After the first game the other 9 bowlers moved to where I was so I made a subtle adjustment...moved left to 35 and cranked the crap out of it.
Are those the minor, subtle adjustments you're talking about?

unclemantis
01-24-2013, 08:17 PM
My scratch league Tuesday I was playing straight up 5 and the only one hitting the pocket. After the first game the other 9 bowlers moved to where I was so I made a subtle adjustment...moved left to 35 and cranked the crap out of it.
Are those the minor, subtle adjustments you're talking about?

Pretty much. One change or two during the first 2 frames.

billf
01-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Now that's funny. Most people wouldn't consider a 30 board move and change in styles subtle. The only reason I can do it and not get accused of sandbagging is all the bowlers around here know I've been doing it this way for years. They learned how competitive I am after getting hurt and having to bowl blind. I went from a pure stroker to cranker and my average only dropped to 195 during that time (11/2010-1/9/12).

unclemantis
01-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Now that's funny. Most people wouldn't consider a 30 board move and change in styles subtle. The only reason I can do it and not get accused of sandbagging is all the bowlers around here know I've been doing it this way for years. They learned how competitive I am after getting hurt and having to bowl blind. I went from a pure stroker to cranker and my average only dropped to 195 during that time (11/2010-1/9/12).

You are blind?

unclemantis
01-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Check this out. This is a product called the Sandbagger.

I wonder if it is legal is use during the middle of a match?

http://www.turbogrips.com/products_sandbagger.php

http://youtu.be/j8lgIiDfZPY

billf
01-27-2013, 07:52 PM
No, not during a match. From the time practice starts until competition is over any altering of the ball's surface is illegal per USBC rules.

unclemantis
01-27-2013, 08:59 PM
No, not during a match. From the time practice starts until competition is over any altering of the ball's surface is illegal per USBC rules.

I will keep that in mind.

The only altering to the ball would be inserting and removing tape from the thumb hole.... correct?

got_a_300
01-28-2013, 12:33 AM
The only altering to the ball would be inserting and removing tape from the thumb hole.... correct?

No what the rule states is no altering of the bowling ball surface like
taking a shiny ball and sanding it to make it a dull surface or taking a
dull ball and adding polish to it during league or a tournament.

Now you can use a USBC approved ball cleaner during league and some
tournaments but not all tournaments will allow you to do so. Take the
USBC National tournament you are not allowed to do anything to your
ball like clean it or anything like that.

Adding or removing tape from the thumb or finger holes is perfectly
legal to do during league or tournament I'm not real sure about the
USBC National tournament if you are allowed to change tape or not
but normally you can just a long as it doesn't come in direct contact
with the balls outer surface.