PDA

View Full Version : IQ Tour Pearl review by Storm / Roto Grip Staffer Dan Schaden Jr

StoRoto2013
01-23-2013, 08:21 AM
The IQ Tour Pearl does well for me when the back ends have a little carry down and the heads have some oil on them. The IQ Tour Pearl is a perfect complement to the IQ Tour. When the IQ Tour starts to read or hook too early and lose some of its energy for the backend the IQ Tour Pearl is the Ball to go to! IQ Tour Pearl conserves enough energy to make the turn on carry down and is explosive through the pins. My axis point is 5 5/8 over and ¾ up and my ball speed is around 15 mph and my rev rate is around 315 very little axis tilt. The layout that I used on my IQ Tour Pearl was 60 x 5 ½ x 75 or just pin below the fingers and the cg kicked out enough for a low hole on my P3. I slightly scuffed the surface with a 3000 pad, just to get some of the shine off of it.

The first pattern I threw the IQ Tour Pearl on was a fresh house pattern and the IQ Tour Pearl gave me decent length and a drastic reaction at the break point. I had over under from the start so I went and threw my IQ Tour which is laid out the same but in box condition and the ball smoothed over the over/under nicely. Game 2 I switched back to the IQ Tour Pearl and was amazed at how much room I had with this ball!!!! The over/under was gone and the IQ Tour Pearl looked unbelievable and was exploding through the pins with reckless abandoning. In conclusion the IQ Tour Pearl for me needs a little carry down because of the aggressiveness of the backend. I am a tweener and the first games on house patterns are always tricky for me so I am not surprised by the over/under… However, I am surprised in a good way by how controllable but aggressive the IQ Tour Pearl is.

The last pattern I threw the IQ Tour Pearl on was the Earl Anthony Pattern and was pleasantly surprised by the length and reaction I had with the IQ Tour Pearl. The reaction was aggressive and I did not have enough hold for my liking so I chose to start with another ball. Which I believe was a not so good idea. After fighting a few frames I switched back and again the IQ Tour Pearl opened up the lane for me. The IQ Tour Pearl is the mix of both worlds for me when there is a little carry down…. Power and controllability!!! I might rough the cover up some (hand scuffed at 3000, I was thinking spinning it at 2000) and see if it will allow me to start with the ball and stay with it all night! However, If you own an IQ Tour and looking for a ball that will complement it…. The IQ Tour Pearl is that ball with same controllability mixed with more length and backend motion.