PDA

View Full Version : Approved ball cleaner

unclemantis
01-23-2013, 11:58 PM
I was looking at the USBC list and I see that Windex is one of the approved cleaners.

Does this mean that the Alcohol Free, AR (anti reflective) Formula by Walmart vision center is one of them or does this contain something that is harmful such as the AR ingredient, or coat is APPROVED or not? is it harmful?

75lockwood
01-24-2013, 12:28 AM
I was looking at the USBC list and I see that Windex is one of the approved cleaners.

Does this mean that the Alcohol Free, AR (anti reflective) Formula by Walmart vision center is one of them or does this contain something that is harmful such as the AR ingredient, or coat is APPROVED or not? is it harmful?

I don't know about harmful, but i think the approved list is talking about Windex brand window cleaner. while unlikely there could be ingredients in the formula that could cause adverse affects. personally i just stick with Isopropyl, it seems to be doing its job given i have not seen and performance drop in my marauder yet.

I would like to try the simple green/Isopropyl mixture that is said to work well, just need to find where to buy the stuff lol

crimsoneyes
01-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Not sure about where it is in Canada but to the south in Minnesota some walmarts and Menards carry simple green. I just checked and Amazon has it also. I use just straight simple green and it works great. I also happen to work for a company that buys it in bulk so i can just fill my little spray bottle whenever i need. My boss does the same thing for his bowling balls. I may try a mixture though and see what that does if anything more.

Zothen
01-24-2013, 02:44 AM
You can buy alcohol and simple green most likely at Target,Walmart,CVS,Rite Aid,Walgreens,etc.

Zothen

75lockwood
01-24-2013, 02:50 AM
You can buy alcohol and simple green most likely at Target,Walmart,CVS,Rite Aid,Walgreens,etc.

Zothen

See i've seen somthing called "mean green" at walmart before, but never simple green, i bet it's essentially the same, but unless i can prove that i will keep looking.

steven408
01-24-2013, 04:50 AM
Not sure about where it is in Canada but to the south in Minnesota some walmarts and Menards carry simple green. I just checked and Amazon has it also. I use just straight simple green and it works great. I also happen to work for a company that buys it in bulk so i can just fill my little spray bottle whenever i need. My boss does the same thing for his bowling balls. I may try a mixture though and see what that does if anything more.

i think the alcohol helps evaporate faster and leaves less residue

backlasher
01-24-2013, 06:53 AM
If you have Home Depot or Lowe's where you live, try them. I bought a gallon of Simple Green at Lowe's.

scottymoney
01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Simple Green works well. I will say that the amount you actually use when cleaning the ball, I wouldn't worry about price. I paid $9 for a bottle from my proshop and it will last me for at least 6 months. Doing the math, it won't hurt my budget at all. I bought a little spray bottle that I use as to never overuse the cleaner I bought.

e-tank
01-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I currently use alcohol diluted with a bit of water

ZRock
01-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Simple greens whole idea is that it doesn't leave a film or residue

crimsoneyes
01-24-2013, 05:43 PM
To address the actual original post, I wouldn't worry so much about the actual brand of the product. Unless you have a crazy obsessive person you bowl with, it wont probably matter whether it is "Windex" branded or another off brand window cleaner. As far as the alcohol free formula, I probably would not use that as the alcohol will help it dry faster and clean better.

GeoLes
01-25-2013, 02:31 PM
I currently use alcohol diluted with a bit of water

I like mine with a little tonic water :)

Seriously. I picked up a can of denatured alcohol from the hardware store. I keep a little in a plastic bottle stored in my bowling bag. Just a daub on a cloth cleans the ball with no residue.

unclemantis
01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
I like mine with a little tonic water :)

Seriously. I picked up a can of denatured alcohol from the hardware store. I keep a little in a plastic bottle stored in my bowling bag. Just a daub on a cloth cleans the ball with no residue.

During the past 2 sessions I am using a diluted mixture of 1 oz of 50% Alcohol and 1 oz of distilled water. Give it a good shake and spray 3 or 4 sprits on one half of the ball and rub it clean and then do the other side, and then buff after my bowling session.

I am using this currently until I can buy the Powerhouse mixtures for cleaning and polishing.

Don't tell my pro-shop guy :P

GeoLes
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Consider your self "straight-up-busted"

Unless you share the alcoholic beverage with me.

unclemantis
01-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Consider your self "straight-up-busted"

Unless you share the alcoholic beverage with me.

Uh oh.....

Hey buddy! Let me buy you a drink :-)