PDA

View Full Version : First video

Perrin
01-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Just a quick video of one shot on my Tuesday league.

This is just after moving to a line trying to set the ball down at 12 and break at 6.

Open to any comments and suggestions.

deeper knee bend is mostly out though due to arthritic knees. I can do it but I pay for it the next day or three

I don't hold my position long for the same reason.

Perrin one shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsrxWTFaRc8)

Perrin
02-05-2013, 02:19 PM
near 100 views and no comments? at least tell me if you think I look goofy :)

scottymoney
02-05-2013, 03:56 PM
First time i saw it, but you seem to bring the ball around your body a bit, almost like you are throwing a discus. It isn't a huge problem if you can keep it the same every time.

J Anderson
02-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Hard to tell from that angle but you might be stopping a bit far back from the foul line.

wimsical
02-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Balance arm seems a little lazy to me, could be wrong though... I feel uncomfortable commenting on a player that averages 30 pins higher than me.

75lockwood
02-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Couple quick things:

you should work on staying in the finish position until the ball hits the pins (or at very least your mark) if its a pain issue, finish, unbend your knee's but stay there, watch the ball path.

you are indeed giving away a lot of the lane by finishing so far back, get closer to the foul line it won't bite (hard)
your arm swing isn't free, your trying to place the ball instead of rolling it, as soon as you drop the ball into the back swing it should be doing all the work.

Balance arm seems a little lazy to me, could be wrong though... I feel uncomfortable commenting on a player that averages 30 pins higher than me.

don't! if this was a problem, no pro bowler would be able to find a coach, just because they are better at application doesn't mean their better at knowledge and understanding ;)

scottymoney
02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
For future reference it is better to do video of a couple shots as just seeing one shot may not really reveal any problems. The video I have done I did a running video of an entire game and went through and removed all the time between shots. You may be able to video a text book delivery once and show it but if your next frame you go back to having issues we would never be bale to comment on those.

CeKnauss
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM

don't! if this was a problem, no pro bowler would be able to find a coach, just because they are better at application doesn't mean their better at knowledge and understanding ;)

No one can truly see themselves bowl. Even when you watch yourself back on video, you can't always just know what you need to change. Everyone has a little different take on things and different people may notice different things. The more help, the better, or so I would guess.

First off, the disclaimer: I am not a certified coach. I learned most of what I know by watching tons of bowling videos on youtube, studying the styles of bowlers around me, talking to pros like Anne Marie Duggan and Chris Lucas, etc.

It looks to me like you are creating rotation by twisting your whole arm. As such, it looks like you are losing your balance forward to some degree.
You are starting too far back on the approach for your release. Your legs get going so fast that your arm looks forced down to catch up. This could be part of the balance loss and you could be losing rotation by trying to force the ball.

From the single clip, this is all I noticed at first. As for the lesser amount of knee bend, I can relate. My dad's side of the family seems to be prone to some knee issues. As such, I tend to bend my knee less and use more leverage at my ankle and hip, allowing them to transfer forward where my knee would have. The first few seconds of the following video of me (despite being a year old) shows to some degree how I transfer some of the energy from my knee to my hip. I know this may not be your preferred adjustment, but it is an idea and something you could try. They do say speed is generated by your legs, after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHd9J-4ayqU

Perrin
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys.

I never noticed my arm coming behind me before. I will have to keep an eye on that to at least be aware in case it changes unintentionally.

You're exactly right. I usually stop 2-3 feet from the foul line. I do this as a left over from back when I used to slide more. When I get in a groove and do slide I stop 6 inches-a foot behind the line. Unfortunately my footwork and slide are one of my most inconsistent pieces.

Good point wimsical. My balance arm may be part of my balance issues. didn't notice before that i was dropping it before I release the ball.

I have noticed I do that depending on my focal point on the lane. if I focus at the arrows I tend to place the ball there vs when I focus farther down the lane I roll the ball more. I hadnt thought of it in those terms before but i could feel the difference.

He makes a great point wimsical you may see something that others don't. Don't let your average keep you from speaking up. If you look at it across sports a lot of coaches aren't/weren't very good players

I agree on the couple shots. This was literally take on my phone in the middle of league so that I could see what the new line looked like and I decided to throw it up for opinions.

CeKnauss. very good points I sometimes do litterally get off balance forward and can feel myself bending forward. my best balls are when I keep myself vertical

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and observations. I'll try to get a new more complete video. There is a shop here that does group lessons for $12 with video. I need to sign-up :)