PDA

View Full Version : household ball polish?

unclemantis
01-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Ya you heard me. I see household cleaners but what about polish or is that something one really needs to get from the manufacturer?

billf
01-26-2013, 03:15 PM
I just bought some Turtle Wax polish to try. Polish, not wax. Wax has silicone that clogs the ball's pores. I will let you know how it works out. We are soaking the Terror now then will sand and add rough buff and this high gloss polish just like the manufacturer's directions.

ZRock
01-26-2013, 04:29 PM
It still scares me that you hand sand your balls. Especially if you're bringing them down to 500 grit. Hand sanding has two issues. First you have natural errors in your accuracy and pressure, and once done, your ,ball is usually less round, which can affect a lot.... Secondly, you lose out on the clean track lines that You get with a ball spinner...

billf
01-26-2013, 05:08 PM
I've had to hand sand plenty of cars over the years so that's helped to train to keep the same pressure. BTW, the same issues can arise with a spinner and an inexperienced user.
The 500 grit is with an Abralon pad so it's not like using a piece of 500 grit sandpaper.

unclemantis
01-26-2013, 05:18 PM
I've had to hand sand plenty of cars over the years so that's helped to train to keep the same pressure. BTW, the same issues can arise with a spinner and an inexperienced user.
The 500 grit is with an Abralon pad so it's not like using a piece of 500 grit sandpaper.

This is all sounding pretty crazy LOL. Maybe I will just drop my ball off at the pro-shop once a week to be polished and or sanded.

ZRock
01-26-2013, 06:33 PM
You should mantis. Bill I've got to say you're special! I screwed up one ball when I tried to drunk sand :)

cane
01-26-2013, 06:50 PM
You should mantis. Bill I've got to say you're special! I screwed up one ball when I tried to drunk sand :)

Haha! After all, what else is there to do whilst wasted?

billf
01-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Well I decided to de-oil, sand and bring one Revenge, the Terror, the Marauder and the Misfit. The polish worked well. They all reacted just like new tonight. The Terror went so long and angular I thought for sure it was only going to hit the 3-6 if lucky. Instead it was a beautiful pocket strike.
I didn't put any polish on the Revenge this time and quickly remembered why I had before. Started the night with it and had to loft the left gutter cap just to go through the nose.

ecub
02-04-2013, 01:51 PM
I figure hand sanding cars would be different from a bowling ball. Uneven sanding on cars, won't effect it's performance, compared to a bowling ball. Using a ball spinner, you can sand with the track, against the track, etc., which will effect ball reaction.

ecub
02-04-2013, 01:53 PM
This would also apply to hand polishing a ball, compared to using a spinner. A spinner allows you to generate enough heat to "burn" the polish into the ball.

Juice
02-07-2013, 03:54 AM
No. Just... No.

1. you cannot re-create the same reaction by hand sanding a ball.
2. you cannot re-create the same reaction by polishing a ball... even on a ball spinner.

ecub
02-07-2013, 02:05 PM
No. Just... No.

1. you cannot re-create the same reaction by hand sanding a ball.
2. you cannot re-create the same reaction by polishing a ball... even on a ball spinner.

True. Factory sanding and/or polishing finish is ALWAYS different from a pro shop sanding/polishing finish. But pro shops do use ball spinners and manufacturer recommended polishes, to create a similar reaction. Ball spinners and polishes are available to the consumer. I have my own spinner as well. Although when I do get a new bowling ball, I NEVER used it out of the box. I always resurface it my own way, using the manufacturers sanding/polishing suggestions. This way, I can ALWAYS recreate the same process over and over again.