PDA

View Full Version : tape on fingers?

unclemantis
01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
I am seeing some of the pros wearing tape or something on their fingers. Why do they do this?

e-tank
01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
I believe you are talking about bowling tape. From what i gather this changes how your fingers fit in the hole

unclemantis
01-27-2013, 06:04 PM
I am not sure how I would use it to improve my game

J Anderson
01-27-2013, 06:20 PM
I am seeing some of the pros wearing tape or something on their fingers. Why do they do this?

I believe its to protect their fingers and or thumbs. These people bowl may over a hundred games a week between practice and competition.

unclemantis
01-27-2013, 07:00 PM
I believe its to protect their fingers and or thumbs. These people bowl may over a hundred games a week between practice and competition.

I notice that my skin above my cuitcle and below my first nuckle are splintering and sore after a solid week of bowling.

Is this why they use the tape?

billf
01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Torn skin, callouses that get hard, peel off and then come back again, knuckle pain. When you're bowling 200-300 games a week the digits take a beating. The average goes way up though :cool:

unclemantis
01-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Torn skin, callouses that get hard, peel off and then come back again, knuckle pain. When you're bowling 200-300 games a week the digits take a beating. The average goes way up though :cool:

Holy crap! 300 games A WEEK? I am only up to 20 a WEEK

ecub
01-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Tapes for the thumb/finger have varying uses. They provide for either better grip/release or to protect or prevent a cut/sore. They also can make the hole a little snug, for those who prefer it. These tapes vary in different textures to allow a quicker or slower release. These tapes are also made of stretchable material, so they can stretch along with the finger as it bends.

I use Turbo Quick Release patch tape on the back of my thumb. If my thumb hole in the bowling ball feels a bit slick, I like to exhale in it to get some moisture, to temporarily allow me to get a better grip with my thumb. Unfortunately, without the tape, this may cause the back of my thumb to rub, preventing me from a clean release. Having the tape on the back of my thumb, still allows a smooth, clean release. I have interchangeable thumb inserts, so depending on which thumb insert I use, I may start to get a callus, due to the constant rubbing. The tape will also help protect my thumb and prevent the callus from getting worse.

unclemantis
01-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Tapes for the thumb/finger have varying uses. They provide for either better grip/release or to protect a cut/sore. They also can make the hole a little snug, for those who prefer it. These tapes vary in different textures to allow a quicker or slower release. These tapes are also made of stretchable material, so they can stretch along with the finger as it bends.

I use Turbo Quick Release patch tape on the back of my thumb. If my thumb hole in the bowling ball feels a bit slick, I like to exhale in it to get some moisture, to temporarily allow me to get a better grip with my thumb. Unfortunately, without the tape, this may cause the back of my thumb to rub, preventing me from a clean release. Having the tape on the back of my thumb, still allows a smooth, clean release. I have interchangeable thumb inserts, so depending on which thumb insert I use, I may start to get a callus, due to the constant rubbing. The tape will also help protect my thumb and prevent the callus from getting worse.

Interchangeable thumb inserts? I never heard of such a thing

budda
01-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Most of it is for protection, by the time they get to the TV show that you see, they could be fifty or so games into a tournament. I tape both my middle and ring finger. Cause they get sore and the skin will tear. I dont like to bleed into my bowling ball. Bowling can be hard on the fingers....the tape helps.

unclemantis
01-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Most of it is for protection, by the time they get to the TV show that you see, they could be fifty or so games into a tournament. I tape both my middle and ring finger. Cause they get sore and the skin will tear. I dont like to bleed into my bowling ball. Bowling can be hard on the fingers....the tape helps.

I think I will stop by my pro-shop and let him know how my game is going so far. It has only been a week into the new ball but it wouldn't hurt to chit chat and see how his vacation was.

ecub
01-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Interchangeable thumb inserts? I never heard of such a thing

Vise IT (Interchangeable Thumb), Turbo Switch Grip, and Griploc (http://grip-loc.com/). I use Griploc, because they allow me to use oval or round thumb inserts. I understand, Turbo switch grips have them now. Interchangeable thumb inserts allow you to switch to different insert sizes, instead of using tape. Plus I can get the same feel/release when I switch balls. I use 4 bowling balls. If you blind folded me and hand me put my fingers/thumb in ANY of my bowling balls with the thumb insert, I can't tell which ball is which.

scottymoney
01-29-2013, 09:29 AM
The qualifying for events over 4 days is 32 games. And then another 8 games or so if you make it through qualifying. So just in actual tournament play 64 games possibly. And that is just to possibly make it to TV. Plus each day they have practice beforehand plus for the TV tapings you can't hear it but the teams not participating at that moment were actually over practicing to keep warm.

Plus think about it, once you start ripping your hand open form so much bowling and you start taping your fingers, you might as well just keep taping them to keep a consistent feel.

Zothen
01-29-2013, 12:59 PM
The tape serves 2 purposes! 1) It protects the fingers from friction which can cause blisters and 2) It sometimes helps take up extra space in the hole so you don't have to use tape in the hole. I use tape on back of thumb and it helps with eliminating friction burns and also gives me a snugger fit.

Zothen

unclemantis
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
The tape serves 2 purposes! 1) It protects the fingers from friction which can cause blisters and 2) It sometimes helps take up extra space in the hole so you don't have to use tape in the hole. I use tape on back of thumb and it helps with eliminating friction burns and also gives me a snugger fit.

Zothen

I just encountered my first skin tear last night! OK well that is a good and bad thing :-)

unclemantis
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
The qualifying for events over 4 days is 32 games. And then another 8 games or so if you make it through qualifying. So just in actual tournament play 64 games possibly. And that is just to possibly make it to TV. Plus each day they have practice beforehand plus for the TV tapings you can't hear it but the teams not participating at that moment were actually over practicing to keep warm.

Plus think about it, once you start ripping your hand open form so much bowling and you start taping your fingers, you might as well just keep taping them to keep a consistent feel.

64 games? Jesus that is a lot of games!

So... I play dollar games for 5 days that is about 12 to 13 games a night!

I bowled 8 games in a 2 hour period last night and boy was I TIRED!

I usually bowl at the most 6 games a night at 3 nights a week. Well I guess this is a start :)

My wrist is really tired today but in a good way. I force myself to cup the ball and wen I did my lift was better and leaving less splits.

Also I found out my swing timing was off and I fixed that too.

My average for last night was 170 with my high game being a 212.

i think another month and I am going to try for a scratch tournament and THEN sign up for a league :)

ecub
01-29-2013, 09:59 PM
I would join a league first, before joining any tournaments. When you practice, your usually by yourself, you're the only one using the line, so you get used to it. You may/may not have to adjust at all. You are also relaxed. With a league, you can have 8-10 bowlers using the pair. Each may use different lines, spread the oil around, which would may prove to be trickier. You may also end up bowling with people bowling the same line as you do, therefore, you may have to make adjustments after 2-3 frames. There's also allot of pressure, especially if the team is counting on you to pickup a spare.

billf
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
8 games in 2 hours? I wish I could slow myself down like that. I tell myself to sit and relax but almost always end up throwing ball after ball. I can easily bowl those 8 games in an hour. I don't pay for open bowling so it's not the money but the timing. Leagues and tournaments it seems like forever before it's my turn again. Just the time from when warm ups end to my turn feels like an hour.

Tampabaybob
01-30-2013, 07:25 AM

I usually bowl at the most 6 games a night at 3 nights a week. Well I guess this is a start :)

My wrist is really tired today but in a good way. I force myself to cup the ball and wen I did my lift was better and leaving less splits.

i think another month and I am going to try for a scratch tournament and THEN sign up for a league :)

Here once again is the argument about bowlers not being "Athletes". People in general do not recognize bowlers as being athletes, however they have no concept of how hard, and how much endurance, concentration, and just physical strength it takes for these guys on tour. Sure, if you're a casual bowler and shoot 2-3 games a month no big deal, but these guys are the best and shooting a hundred games a week (with practice) is the norm. I know, I did it for two years, and it's tough. When I watch the guys on TV in the finals, you have no idea how much respect I have for them, because I know what stresses they've endured to get there during that entire week, and then only to start all over again in a couple of days and do it again.

As far as you bowling in a tournament or a league, you'll definitely have to learn how to pace yourself because of the pace you're doing in practice. It will seem like forever between shots and it'll be easy to lose your concentration. Shoot a couple of tournaments and by all means join a "GOOD" league and you'll enjoy the game much more.

americantrotter
01-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Plus each day they have practice beforehand plus for the TV tapings you can't hear it but the teams not participating at that moment were actually over practicing to keep warm.

I could hear the practice on Sunday's broadcast. I thought the lanes were being stingy and having open bowling on the other side of the lanes, lol. Practice for the upcoming teams makes much more sense.:p

scottymoney
01-30-2013, 09:10 AM

I have bowled 9 games in just over an 1.5 hours and that is with taking my time. I also bowled 4 games earlier that day. I would tell you not to go bowl a scratch tournament because I doubt you understand the concept of "scratch". Meaning no handicap and without bowling leagues you are going to get a quick wakeup call. Go find yourself a league, establish an average and go bowl handicapped tournaments where you have a fighting chance. Just my opinion but I think you need to slow down your aspirations. GO league bowl for a year and get used to actually bowling on oil. I am guessing most of your practice time is in dry conditions and come tournament time the oil will beat you up.

unclemantis
01-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Here once again is the argument about bowlers not being "Athletes". People in general do not recognize bowlers as being athletes, however they have no concept of how hard, and how much endurance, concentration, and just physical strength it takes for these guys on tour. Sure, if you're a casual bowler and shoot 2-3 games a month no big deal, but these guys are the best and shooting a hundred games a week (with practice) is the norm. I know, I did it for two years, and it's tough. When I watch the guys on TV in the finals, you have no idea how much respect I have for them, because I know what stresses they've endured to get there during that entire week, and then only to start all over again in a couple of days and do it again.

As far as you bowling in a tournament or a league, you'll definitely have to learn how to pace yourself because of the pace you're doing in practice. It will seem like forever between shots and it'll be easy to lose your concentration. Shoot a couple of tournaments and by all means join a "GOOD" league and you'll enjoy the game much more.

What is a GOOD league? Ones with an average that is complement to mine? Any other factors?

http://www.leaguesecretary.com/

billf
01-30-2013, 08:07 PM

Bob, you ain't lying! The fast pace is great to build endurance but learning to maintain the focus and memory over the extended time between shots is a big factor. Of course once it gets down to match play then I usually have an adavantage over some of our area bowlers who aren't use to the faster pace.
I've even started offering free lessons to certain bowlers with the condition that we bowl together just to slow the pace down. It has worked well since the other two also average 230+ and don't like to bowl alone. Plus doing it as a lesson we know we can get a lane :cool:

scottymoney
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
Pace is a huge factor. I bowled last night and can average a game by myself in 10 minutes. This is great and all and I like the workout of quick bowling but bowling at a fast pace normally cause me to throw out the concentration part and I become very sloppy. I think it is good to practice both ways though. You need to be able to condition your body to bowl at a fast pace but also you need to be able to have practices where you take your time and concentrate.

Tampabaybob
02-19-2013, 09:15 AM
What is a GOOD league? Ones with an average that is complement to mine? Any other factors?

http://www.leaguesecretary.com/

A good league for you, at the average you're at right now, would be a mens handicap league. You might also try a mixed league, but many times that can work against you as there are lotus of lower average bowlers there. You want to bowl in as good a league as you can get into (not scratch yet - gotta get your feet wet first) and bowl against some good competition. The better bowlers you bowl against the better you'll get. If you bowl with all low average bowlers it'll take you much longer to improve.

Stay away from scratch leagues until you're into the 190 bracket for average. It would be hard to get picked up on a team at a lower average in a scratch league anyway. Scratch league bowlers are all headhunters and out for blood. Get your experience first then dive in ! Also, look for some local handicap tournaments (once you start in the league because you need to establish a USBC average first) and try that out. Bowling in a scratch tournament just means you're shooting against guys that may be averaging 230 + and you'll just be donating your money to them.

unclemantis
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
A good league for you, at the average you're at right now, would be a mens handicap league. You might also try a mixed league, but many times that can work against you as there are lotus of lower average bowlers there. You want to bowl in as good a league as you can get into (not scratch yet - gotta get your feet wet first) and bowl against some good competition. The better bowlers you bowl against the better you'll get. If you bowl with all low average bowlers it'll take you much longer to improve.

Stay away from scratch leagues until you're into the 190 bracket for average. It would be hard to get picked up on a team at a lower average in a scratch league anyway. Scratch league bowlers are all headhunters and out for blood. Get your experience first then dive in ! Also, look for some local handicap tournaments (once you start in the league because you need to establish a USBC average first) and try that out. Bowling in a scratch tournament just means you're shooting against guys that may be averaging 230 + and you'll just be donating your money to them.

Thanks bob!

Tampabaybob
02-19-2013, 09:36 PM
No prob.

unclemantis
02-21-2013, 08:23 AM
No prob.

I am working on getting information about subbing in the leagues down here.

I AM NERVOUS!