PDA

View Full Version : How many OPEN games a week do the pros bowl?

unclemantis
01-28-2013, 07:42 AM
I am sure they don't need to bowl as many games now as they did when they first started but I was just curious.

budda
01-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Everyone of them would be different. Out of the ones that I know, they practice around 10 games a week in the off season. Not including the local scratch tournaments they do on the weekend. But the staffers for the big companies have access to there facility where they can practice as much as they want on any pattern they want.

unclemantis
01-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Everyone of them would be different. Out of the ones that I know, they practice around 10 games a week in the off season. Not including the local scratch tournaments they do on the weekend. But the staffers for the big companies have access to there facility where they can practice as much as they want on any pattern they want.

I read that if I sign up as a PBA member I can bowl at a lot of places at a discounted rate anytime during the day. Sure would beat needing to go to these places at their $1 a game nights :)

striker12
01-28-2013, 10:01 AM
well most pba players dont realy go and open bowl because they bowl in 6 leagues in a week depending on the times and because of being in so many leagues that is the practice right there

unclemantis
01-28-2013, 10:03 AM
well most pba players dont realy go and open bowl because they bowl in 6 leagues in a week depending on the times and because of being in so many leagues that is the practice right there

Wow. 6 a week? That is like $500 a month! But then again they get their money back at the end if they clean up :)

striker12
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Wow. 6 a week? That is like $500 a month! But then again they get their money back at the end if they clean up :)

yeah but think it would be more because they also bowl in the pba ik a few people in ym home town who bowl in 4-5 leagues and they are good 225-232 avg and i asked them why dont they go try to bowl in the pba or get a sponsor i understand the one he cant handle pressure and the other guy dose not think hes ready and he ssaid that right after he shot a 811 series

GeoLes
01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
I read that if I sign up as a PBA member I can bowl at a lot of places at a discounted rate anytime during the day. Sure would beat needing to go to these places at their $1 a game nights :)

I enjoy that benefit, not so much bacause of PBA membership, rather because I belong to a league that competes at that particular lane. There are some lanes that will honor a PBA discount regardless of where your home lane is. I usually pay $1.75 per game during the day and $2.50 at night in my home lanes. Plaze lanes, the other lane near me, where I do not bowl league, usually only charges me $3 for game when everyone else pays $4 because of PBA affiliatiion Check with your local lane for details

unclemantis
01-28-2013, 04:58 PM
I enjoy that benefit, not so much bacause of PBA membership, rather because I belong to a league that competes at that particular lane. There are some lanes that will honor a PBA discount regardless of where your home lane is. I usually pay $1.75 per game during the day and $2.50 at night in my home lanes. Plaze lanes, the other lane near me, where I do not bowl league, usually only charges me $3 for game when everyone else pays $4 because of PBA affiliatiion Check with your local lane for details

What are the other true benefits

billf
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
One free entry in a regional tournament per year. The cost vs. benefits are not a good fit for most bowlers.

Tampabaybob
01-30-2013, 08:07 AM
What most people don't realize is the overall cost to bowl in the PBA. Yeah, you "might" get discounted practice at 'some' houses and even one free entry into a regional, but if your seriously considering it, figure out how much your entry fess weekly would be, travel expenses, lodging and meals. It adds up to a large amount of $$$$$$ and if you "work for a living", try telling your boss you need to take Tuesday through Thursday off to go and try to qualify. Oh and yeah, Boss if I do qualify I probably won'y be in Friday either. What I'm getting to, is unless you have a Sugar Daddy (Sponsor with deep pockets) keep bowling in your weekly leagues.

Several years ago a friend of mine wanted to go out on tour. His Dad and his Uncle put up 30 Grand. He went out on tour for several months and came back empty handed. Goodbye 30 grand ! Never tried it again. It' very, very, expensive.

unclemantis
01-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Good thing I am an independent contractor