PDA

View Full Version : Stumbled upon this while looking for a ball spinner on ebay

e-tank
01-28-2013, 09:10 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Bowling-Ball-Maintenance-Sys-Sand-Polish-your-ball-/21/!B1PQ1WgEGk~$(KGrHqV,!iUE)q1UfjL0BMdqqz!qww~~_12.J PG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Bowling-Ball-Maintenance-Sys-Sand-Polish-your-ball-/12/!BtN6J5gCWk~$(KGrHqEOKisEvNSvUvOUBL7CWIeybQ~~_12.J PG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowling-Ball-Maintenance-Sys-Sand-Polish-your-ball-/251207261374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7d1e9cbe

could this be a good cheap alternative to a ball spinner?

striker12
01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
well not very sure if it would be as good but a ball spinner would probably be better because with a ball spinner you can see what your are doing and also youa re doing it with your hand so you control the presser with a drill in your hand its harder to now how much presser you are using.

75lockwood
01-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Looks interesting, i don't think it would be all that hard to build a spinner off the same concept, buy the ball spinner cup then connect to a mounted variable speed drill and walla!

billf
01-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Might be worth a try. The $10.95 for shipping seems ridiculous.

bowl1820
01-28-2013, 10:32 PM
That's the "SMarT BMS" If interested in this buy it direct from the company.
here
http://www.polishyourball.com/

http://youtu.be/xm5DfCVrBzg

crimsoneyes
01-28-2013, 10:49 PM
This is interesting. I've often wondered if there was something like this out there. Anybody ever used one?

striker12
01-28-2013, 11:04 PM
wow this is the first time in awhile since i seen bowl1820 post something

e-tank
01-29-2013, 01:38 AM
After watching the vid i might have to give it a try!

got_a_300
01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
I just do not think it is worth what it costs somewhere around
$50.00 - $60.00 for the complete kit plus the cost of buying a
variable speed drill and you have close to what a ball spinner is
going to cost to start with. You can just add another $60.00 or
so dollars and get a real ball spinner.

ecub
01-29-2013, 10:45 AM
I actually have one, as well as a ball spinner. It doesn't give you an even sanding process as ball spinner would. Holding the pad by hand gives you a better feel, as well as allowing a constant pressure against the ball.

scottymoney
01-29-2013, 10:50 AM
This would be worth it.

All you need to do is mount the drill in a vise so that it doesn't move. Then set the drill to spin and stay on. Now you can use both hands to rotate the ball. The ball will use its own weight to provide the even pressure all you have to do is rotate it slowly.

ecub
01-29-2013, 11:23 AM
That won't work. You would be applying too much pressure on the ball with the sanding pad, since you're using the weight of the ball. If you have ever sanded a ball, you apply lite pressure with the pad.

bowl1820
01-29-2013, 02:26 PM
This would be worth it.

All you need to do is mount the drill in a vise so that it doesn't move. Then set the drill to spin and stay on. Now you can use both hands to rotate the ball. The ball will use its own weight to provide the even pressure all you have to do is rotate it slowly.

That would be total recipe for disaster. The ball would most likely start spinning while you tried to hold it and fall off.

Using it the way it was designed for would be best. Having a even pressure on the ball wouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't be much different than using a buffer on a car.

swingset
01-29-2013, 03:35 PM
I just do not think it is worth what it costs somewhere around
$50.00 - $60.00 for the complete kit plus the cost of buying a
variable speed drill and you have close to what a ball spinner is
going to cost to start with. You can just add another $60.00 or
so dollars and get a real ball spinner.

What man doesn't have a variable speed drill laying around?

Seriously, you can buy one at a yard sale for $5.

scottymoney
01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Sorry for the bad information. I didn't think it all the way through. I think it would work, you just could not let it sit for very long. I am not about to buy the equipment to try it out so I will just take your word for it.

ZRock
01-29-2013, 11:03 PM
I can't imagine the track lines would be anything close to consistent...

swingset
01-30-2013, 05:14 PM
I can't imagine the track lines would be anything close to consistent...

All things being equal, orbital sanding should produce a more uniform pattern than spinning. That is, of course, if the operator is able to apply even and uniform pressure and spend the same time on each area of the ball.

But, these same caveats apply to a ball spinner too, do it wrong and your pattern through the track will be inconsistent...tho I imagine it would be much easier to be uniform with pressure and area on a spinner.

Take look at the finishing and polishing rollers from this clip at the Storm factory - they're not evenly spun by hemisphere like a spinner is, it's haphazard and random (closer to the orbital action than a spinner).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDtS955HnD0

I've seen another clip from a factory (can't recall which) that shows orbital and even vibratory finishing being used.

Even pressure and equal coverage are the key, no matter the method. I'm sure with skill you could do that with the SmarT, but again it's probably easier for the layman with a spinner.

billf
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
What I like about the SmarT is you could easily do it in a sink which is how Abralon was designed to be used (wet) and wet sanding allows the life of most sanding materials to last longer. Some ball spinners are not sealed and therefor could not be used in/with water.

swingset
01-30-2013, 08:18 PM
What I like about the SmarT is you could easily do it in a sink which is how Abralon was designed to be used (wet) and wet sanding allows the life of most sanding materials to last longer. Some ball spinners are not sealed and therefor could not be used in/with water.

I think a "best of both worlds" device could be built out of the SmarT and a cheapo drill press. If the press was cocked at an angle, the SmarT attached and then pressed into the spinning base (would be easy to deliver a steady even pressure with the press lever), you'd have a really good system that if used properly would be about the most consistent finish abralon could deliver.

Could be used wet, too, since the press would be above the ball & water pushing down into it. You'd just need a rudimentary splash guard on the motor.

Hmmm....now I'm giving myself ideas....and I have an old Rockwell table-top drill press.