PDA

View Full Version : Defiant Soul Review by Dan Schaden Jr

StoRoto2013
01-30-2013, 08:42 AM
The Defiant Soul is the most readable bowling ball that I have thrown in years. The layout that I used was 60 X 5 ½ X 70 or pin under the fingers with mass bias in the strong position roughly 1 ½ from the center line with no hole. My axis point is 5 5/8 over and ¾ up with not a lot of axis tilt and my ball speed is around 15 mph. The Defiant Soul’s arching nature will come in play on the short to medium and tough/flatter sports patterns for me where readability is key.

The first pattern that I threw the Defiant Soul on was a typical house pattern with low volume and about 36 feet in length. The Defiant Soul gave me the best reaction on the fresh than any other ball that I have thrown before. The over/under that I usually have was gone! I know that house patterns are easier but for me being a tweener the first game is usually adventure! The Defiant Soul is a readable bowling ball but has enough guts to throw pins around.

The next pattern that I used the Defiant Soul on the Viper pattern because it blended out the over under at the break point on the fresh. The Defiant Soul is smooth enough to blend the wet/dry but is strong enough to move left and follow the breakdown and will get through some of the carry down. I started the day playing around ten with modest angles through the front to the last game (game 8) playing between 20 and 15 with confidence. For me, the Defiant Soul is not a send the ball right and watch it turn sideways type of ball. Out of the box the Defiant Soul will go longer than the Disturbed but not as long as a Shatter. The Disturbed and Shatter are more violent at the break point while the Defiant Soul is more readable.

The defiant Soul is my benchmark ball and will be in my bag whenever I bowl.

Dan Schaden Jr
Storm/Roto Grip Staff Member
Vise Grip Staff Member