PDA

View Full Version : Homemade bowling oven!!!!

edpup316
01-30-2013, 08:37 PM
What do you think guys?!?! Ill let you know if it works after i do a couple balls. The light should only heat the tank to about 110-120. Hope i dont melt any balls!

billf
01-30-2013, 08:40 PM
What kind of tank is it? Did you line the inside with aluminum foil (or any metal) to help distribute the heat evenly? Can't wait to see if it works.

ArtVandelay
01-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Ive always had my doubts about baking a ball, but I think im in the minority on that. Ya never know! It might work wonders!

edpup316
01-30-2013, 08:45 PM
What kind of tank is it? Did you line the inside with aluminum foil (or any metal) to help distribute the heat evenly? Can't wait to see if it works.

The tank is a 25 gallon reptile aquarium and it is lined with insulation all inside so this thing is made for keeping heat in. i wish i had a better top to help keep the heat in. might have to buy a real aquarium top instead of a bbq grill rack.

billf
01-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Even some ball companies have honed in on that action. That's why they are now selling "rejuvenator ovens" to pro shops. The trick is not to go above 130°f and let it cool gradually.

edpup316
01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Even some ball companies have honed in on that action. That's why they are now selling "rejuvenator ovens" to pro shops. The trick is not to go above 130°f and let it cool gradually.

I have a kitchen laser thermometer that i swiped for my gf (shhhhhh) to help me keep tabs on the temp.

e-tank
01-30-2013, 09:14 PM
not bad. Id be too scared to heat mine. Goodluck with it though

2fingerroller
01-30-2013, 10:19 PM
I've accidentally done worse. I left my bowling balls in the trunk of the car last year during the summer. Balls still work fine but it was truly disgusting how much oil they sweated out.

GeoLes
01-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Some proshops use them. I was thinking of stealing my niece's Barbie oven. Don't tell my sister.

75lockwood
01-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Looks neat, i would say turn it on with a thermometer in it before a ball just to see how hot it gets, and adjust the heat source accordingly. otherwise, looks like a great idea, i do have a terrarium in the basement somewhere...

ecub
01-31-2013, 12:03 AM
You would need to be carefull. You need to keep rotating the ball to avoid a real hot spot. You also need to wipe the oil off. I have a Revivor oven and it blows hot air around the ball, as it rotates. There is also a pad on the bottom to wipe off the oil.

ecub
01-31-2013, 12:32 AM
Also, I would get one of those laser temp gauges so you can check the actual surface temp of the ball.

scottymoney
01-31-2013, 10:20 AM
I will stick with the hot soapy water bath. It is a cool idea and would love to hear how easy it is to keep a constant temp without getting too hot.

e-tank
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
You would need to be carefull. You need to keep rotating the ball to avoid a real hot spot. You also need to wipe the oil off. I have a Revivor oven and it blows hot air around the ball, as it rotates. There is also a pad on the bottom to wipe off the oil.

So if you had some kind of rotisserie device, a hair dryer or heat gun and a closed insulated chamber with a thermometer to check temp, you get the same effect?

unclemantis
01-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Man I have heard some crazy ideas but this is just scary!

ecub
01-31-2013, 12:48 PM
So if you had some kind of rotisserie device, a hair dryer or heat gun and a closed insulated chamber with a thermometer to check temp, you get the same effect?

Well, the thermometer has to be set to regulate the temp, not just check the temp. Just include the pad and your all set.

e-tank
01-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Well, the thermometer has to be set to regulate the temp, not just check the temp. Just include the pad and your all set.

hmmm i have no need for a homemade revivor oven currently but i might have to go mad scientist in the future

ecub
01-31-2013, 01:09 PM
The revivor oven brings out the best reaction on the ball. I have my own ball spinner as well. I've tried the hot water bath method, dishwasher method, resurface the ball, the the revivor oven. The oven works the best. Resurfacing was the 2nd best. I never found any major change when using the hot water bath or dishwasher method. I've never tried actually putting the ball in the oven. When I did the dishwasher method, I did it wrong and used the hottest setting. A few days, my ball cracked. The kitchen oven method works, somewhat, but you have to make sure you rotate the ball. You also need to put a pan underneath, to catch the oil. I've heard good & bad things about using the kitchen oven. You just have to make sure the significant other doesn't know about it.

unclemantis
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
The revivor oven brings out the best reaction on the ball. I have my own ball spinner as well. I've tried the hot water bath method, dishwasher method, resurface the ball, the the revivor oven. The oven works the best. Resurfacing was the 2nd best. I never found any major change when using the hot water bath or dishwasher method. I've never tried actually putting the ball in the oven. When I did the dishwasher method, I did it wrong and used the hottest setting. A few days, my ball cracked. The kitchen oven method works, somewhat, but you have to make sure you rotate the ball. You also need to put a pan underneath, to catch the oil. I've heard good & bad things about using the kitchen oven. You just have to make sure the significant other doesn't know about it.

Can you bring the oil back to the place that you bowl for a credit?

got_a_300
01-31-2013, 03:01 PM

LOL!!!!! Yeah it would be nice if you could take it back and get some credit for it.

scottymoney
01-31-2013, 09:47 PM

Give it a try! I am sure the person at the front desk will think you are crazy and have no clue what the liquid in the cup is. Please video this if you actually were to try it!

unclemantis
02-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Give it a try! I am sure the person at the front desk will think you are crazy and have no clue what the liquid in the cup is. Please video this if you actually were to try it!

Will do!

Tampabaybob
02-01-2013, 11:31 AM
You can use a home oven if you can regulate the temp down to 120 or 125 degrees. One of the guys on my team does his regularly and has also done mine a couple of times. You need to check, wipe off the oil and rotate the ball every 15 minutes to get them clean. Usually one hour will suffice unless you're still getting a lot of oil on your wipe down at the one hour mark. You won't believe how much they will bleed. By the way, make sure you use a drip pan. If you use an aluminum pan (i.e.; for turkeys) you can get two balls in at once. Don't over cook them. But it does work well. Beats spending $1500 on a rejuvenator. Not one pro shop in the entire Tampa Bay area has a rejuvenator !

ecub
02-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Not one pro shop in the entire Tampa Bay area has a rejuvenator !

It's hot enough there, why not just still the ball in the car with a towel underneath :D

Many pro shops here have revivor ovens, as do some individuals, like myself. It works well. Just still 2 balls in the machine, set the timer for 2 hours, then walk away.

As I mentioned earlier, I've heard good & bad things using a kitchen oven. The bad is that it causes the resins to melt off. Also that it's not really even heating, since the heating element is either the top or bottom.

ecub
02-01-2013, 11:46 AM
When I hear of people putting bowling balls in their ovens at home, it makes me nervous. Bowling balls, especially reactive and particle technology balls, are sensitive to heat. If you put one of these balls in the oven at 150 degrees for an hour, don't be surprised if it splits into two pieces as it cools. Thermal stress is not good for balls. If the ball gets too hot it can crack, and even if it does not appear to have a crack on the outside surface the heat can cause many small, unseen stress fractures in the material that weaken it.

Another concern stems from the materials balls are made of. There are all sorts of chemicals in the balls, and many of them are not fit for human consumption. Putting a ball into an oven that is used to prepare food is a bad idea. In fact, you shouldn't even leave your balls in a hot trunk for very long--high temperatures in the trunk can damage a ball.

A safer and effective way to get the oil out of your ball is to get a five-gallon bucket of hot water and a detergent and scrub your ball with a soft nylon brush, rag, or sponge. This will draw the oil out of the ball and restore some of its hooking power.
Why spend hundreds of dollars on a pwedormance ball if you're not going to maintain it for optimal performance? That's like buying an expensive sports car and waiting 10,000 miles to change the oil, or leaving the body exposed to the elements and letting it rust away. By knowing what to do, where to go, and how often to maintain your ball properly, you can raise the efficiency of your game. Just as important is avoiding anything that may harm your precious ball--bowling balls are most definitely not fit for Shake 'n. Bake.

Ball reaction is about surface to surface contact. If you don't create friction you will get skid, if you create lots of friction you get hook. You must have the right friction level for each lane condition to be effective on that lane condition. Dull balls tend to hook earlier and shined balls tend to hook later. Adjust your surface before you change your style. Keep it simple and you will score higher. Too many changes are too confusing and cause difficulty staying consistent. Experiment with changing your ball surface to change the reaction. Find out what your balls can do.

Bowl with well maintained balls and you will have more success. Higher scores with less work and your average will go up. Your confidence will build and who knows where your average will end up at. Take advantage of the tools available to you and you will be glad you did.

from here...
http://forums.hammerbowling.com/showpost.php?p=83380&postcount=6

GeoLes
02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
"So if you had some kind of rotisserie device, a hair dryer or heat gun and a closed insulated chamber with a thermometer to check temp, you get the same effect? "

I have a friend who works in Boston Market. I just give in a few buck on the side when the manager is away.

unclemantis
02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
"So if you had some kind of rotisserie device, a hair dryer or heat gun and a closed insulated chamber with a thermometer to check temp, you get the same effect? "

I have a friend who works in Boston Market. I just give in a few buck on the side when the manager is away.

You roasted your ball? LOL. That is something else.

e-tank
02-01-2013, 05:11 PM
You roasted your ball? LOL. That is something else.

only to a golden brown finish!

unclemantis
02-01-2013, 05:23 PM
only to a golden brown finish!

How does one run a scuewer threw it? LOL

billf
02-03-2013, 04:50 PM

The kitchen oven worked great the one time I did it. The only issue was a few days later when the wife turned the oven on and it started to smoke. I recognized the smell but told her she must have spilled something in there. Darn oil! Next time I will use a drip pan.

Nope, I will just spend the money to get it professionally done. Easier in the long run.

bowl1820
02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
The reason why you don't put your ball in the oven.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/aloarjr810/bowlingxtras/ovenbake_ball.jpg

unclemantis
02-03-2013, 08:06 PM
The kitchen oven worked great the one time I did it. The only issue was a few days later when the wife turned the oven on and it started to smoke. I recognized the smell but told her she must have spilled something in there. Darn oil! Next time I will use a drip pan.

Nope, I will just spend the money to get it professionally done. Easier in the long run.

$15 every 200 games

GeoLes
02-04-2013, 08:52 AM
It really stinks when you get barbeque sauce on the ball. Once baked in, you never get it out and it totally destroys the hook.

I guess I should only rotissie the spare ball.

Actually, it doesn't stink, it smells pretty good. I wonder if Storm has plans for Barbaque scented balls in the future. It would certainly be a boon to the consessions at the local lanes. A real win/win.

scottymoney
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
It really stinks when you get barbeque sauce on the ball. Once baked in, you never get it out and it totally destroys the hook.

I guess I should only rotissie the spare ball.

Actually, it doesn't stink, it smells pretty good. I wonder if Storm has plans for Barbaque scented balls in the future. It would certainly be a boon to the consessions at the local lanes. A real win/win.

Was the Barbeque stain in the shape of Joe Montana's face? From the commercial last night you can get big money for that!

unclemantis
02-04-2013, 11:36 AM
The power outage should have happened ed during the halftime show. The timing was off!

serial bowl
02-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Being a builder for over 25 years, I am among those who like to bypass the manufacturer and make it myself. However, when it comes to something like cooking the oil out of an expensive bowling ball, I think I would just pay for the service.
Best of luck to you.

unclemantis
02-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Being a builder for over 25 years, I am among those who like to bypass the manufacturer and make it myself. However, when it comes to something like cooking the oil out of an expensive bowling ball, I think I would just pay for the service.
Best of luck to you.

I am with this guy. I can only go so far myself.

ecub
02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Be aware of any bowlers who have the Innovative Revivor oven, like myself. We charge allot less, at least I do, that proshops for oil extraction. In fact, I charge a full resurface & oil extraction, about the same price as what a proshop would charge for either resurface OR oil extraction.

unclemantis
02-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Be aware of any bowlers who have the Innovative Revivor oven, like myself. We charge allot less, at least I do, that proshops for oil extraction. In fact, I charge a full resurface & oil extraction, about the same price as what a proshop would charge for either resurface OR oil extraction.

My proshop charged $15 and uses the Brunswick

ecub
02-04-2013, 05:20 PM
I didn't know they had their own oil extraction equipment.

ecub
02-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Here's some info regarding oil extraction...
http://www.innovativebowling.com/products/brunswick%20oven%20research.html

unclemantis
02-05-2013, 11:01 AM
I didn't know they had their own oil extraction equipment.

They do. My pro-shop owns one. I tried doing research and I don't think it is available to the general public.

http://www.ballreviews.com/miscellaneous/brunswick-rejuvenator-oven-t257034.0.html