PDA

View Full Version : Hard to resist the itch not to get a heavy oil ball

e-tank
01-31-2013, 12:59 PM
The main reason im looking at one is so i can have a ball to open up the lane with playing outside because i find that more fun. I dont really play on heavy oil, just fresh oil when league starts. I have no problem playing straight up stroker style down and in as my highest scores are when i play that way. At the same time i would like to try out sport patterns and bowl in local tournaments which correct me if im wrong would need a heavy oil ball?

What do you guys think?

And since were on the topic, any suggestions for balls? Ball speed is high and revs are medium, looking play tweener style

Fuzzifus
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
I see no reason to NOT have a heavy oil ball. With what you have said you would like to do, I think you could put one in the bag. It obviously wont be a piece that gets used often, but will be nice to have around.....

Balls Like:

DV8 Nightmare
Brunswick Aura or Aura Paranormal
Storm Sync or Lucid
RotoGrip Defiant Soul

Zothen
01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
If you want a heavy oil ball,i'd recommend-Roto Grip-Defiant or Defiant soul,Brunswick-aura or aura paranornal or neXus line,Storm-Sync or lucid or vivid,900 global-Freight train or Bullet train,Hammer-Arson,Ebonite-Challenge or Enigma or pursuit,Columbia-Mass Eruption,DV8-Marauder or Nightmare,Motiv Raptor talon.

Zothen

Greenday
01-31-2013, 03:46 PM
I already have a Storm Invasion but it just doesn't hook enough for me. It won't go flat like my other balls but it still doesn't bite enough for me.

I decided to pull the trigger and purchased the Sync today. Can't wait to get it!

striker12
01-31-2013, 04:07 PM
well if you want a nice heavy oil ball then the critical theory is a nice ball but then so is the defiant and defiant soul.

from DV8 you got the Hell raiser series and the nightmare series.

storm there strongest ball is the virtual gravity nano and pearl.

but you should go with a roto-grip ball or DV8

Greenday
01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
storm there strongest ball is the virtual gravity nano and pearl.

If you go by bowlingball.com's perfect scale, their new Sync beats the Nano by an entire 0.6 points. Not a ton, but they react different. From what I'm seeing in various videos, the Nano gives you some more length while the Sync is more of a wider hook.

75lockwood
01-31-2013, 07:15 PM
If you want to get a heavy oil ball but are worried about it not getting a lot of use i would say get a pearl and drill it long, when i won the nexxxus i was worried i wouldn't get a lot of use out of it, but having it be a pearl and drilled long even on drier conditions it hits hard, i often start out nights with the marauder then move to the Nexxxus when the heads get burnt up.

Greenday
01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
If you want to get a heavy oil ball but are worried about it not getting a lot of use i would say get a pearl and drill it long, when i won the nexxxus i was worried i wouldn't get a lot of use out of it, but having it be a pearl and drilled long even on drier conditions it hits hard, i often start out nights with the marauder then move to the Nexxxus when the heads get burnt up.

Yea, a heavy oil pearl ball would be a good choice if you want to be able to still use it on less than heavy conditions.

e-tank
01-31-2013, 07:40 PM

Yea, a heavy oil pearl ball would be a good choice if you want to be able to still use it on less than heavy conditions.

sounds like a good option. What if i got a polished solid? That way id have the option to dull it and still have it perform up to par if need be? I remember reading a post saying dulled pearls dont perform to well

Probowlerjg
02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Can't go wrong with the NEW Lord Field Judgement! This ball is continuous and has great back end reaction. Great mid-lane read, pushes well on back end. I like how consistant this balls is for me. Adapts well to surface change as it comes out the box 2000 polished. Lord Field, check em out!

James H. Graham
Lord Field Amateur II Staff
www.lorfield.com
“Changing Bowling, One Bowler At A Time”.

I suck at bowling
02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Every bowler needs a heavy oil ball.

Without my Hell Raiser Revenge, any pattern longer then 43 feet will eat me alive.

e-tank
02-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Without my Hell Raiser Revenge, any pattern longer then 43 feet will eat me alive.

decided to start saving up to get one. How do you like your sync?

J Anderson
02-07-2013, 10:59 PM

Not really. There are still lots of bowlers who only buy a ball to save the trouble of finding a house ball that fits every week. Their primary reason for bowling is the social aspect. They don't have the time or desire to really develop the skills that would make it necessary to own a heavy oil ball.

Then of coarse there are those bowling centers that use so little oil that a heavy oil ball would never make it through the first game. If you have the misfortune of being surrounded by a number of these type centers, you wouldn't need a heavy oil ball either.