PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever buy a new bowling ball just because???????

Hammer
01-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Maybe you made the mistake of looking at bowlingball.com to see the new releases. Or maybe they weren't new releases and you just wanted to see what each manufacturer had out at this time. Maybe it was the name of the ball or it's color or a combination of both of those. Maybe you saw the ball reaction video and thought hey, that sure looks good.
Could be that you are getting tired of the ball or balls you have now and you need something new to keep you interested
in the game. Maybe if you get a new ball you will have it set up right and get that first 300 game or that first 600 or 700
series. When you find one you find yourself laying in bed and thinking about you throwing this new ball and watching it go down the alley with good revs and hooking beautifully into the pocket for a heavy hitting strike. You find yourself getting the fever that ends up pushing you to get this ball that is on your mind. You don't really need it but you want to get it just because. Next thing you know you make up your mind and you order it. Now you are at home thinking about it and you just can't wait to get it. Bowling ball fever strikes again and it got you good. You say to yourself I need it just because and that is a good enough reason. Anyway I like the name and the color. Yeah, that's it.

e-tank
01-31-2013, 06:33 PM
I made a thread about this earlier in regards to buying a heavy oil ball. I have real uses for it but im pretty sure its a "just because" buy more than anything.

sukeetoshyoo88
01-31-2013, 07:00 PM
yup. for some reason i bought another heavy oil ball (retired ball ) off ebay, cause i wanted to try. but i really dont need it, and still haven't drilled it...

got_a_300
02-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Guess I'm going to have to buy me a just because ball for
use in the first game of league because everything I have
now is just a little too strong on the back ends it seems like.

noeymc
02-01-2013, 02:07 AM
sure i am about to do it again and buy 3 more balls by the end of feb 2 are needs ones a want there in the order ima buy them

plastic ball
http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/RotoGrip/10676/Disturbed.html the just becuz ball
http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/DV8/10682/Brutal-Nightmare.html this is going to be a pin down bowling ball seems like a good place to start =D

Loyer807
02-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Im buying a zombie here soon...I guess its not just because cause I want a good ball for picking up spares.
I really really really keep thinking about buying a Nightmare just because ;)

The German Shepherd
02-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Yo Hammer, you got the bowling bug bad! LOL! :)

Actually , I have never purchased a ball just for the heck of it. it has always been to fill a hole in my line-up. Maybe if I hit the lottery....

Jay

Tampabaybob
02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Hammer, you're right and the ball manufacturer's know this and that's what keeps them in business. When I ran a bowling center I really had the fever because I could buy everything at cost. But once you have to start paying full price it slows down.

Just to relate a story to you, last night bowling against a team my friend was on. Followed him during practice and said, "What the heck ball are you using?" He said "An old Ebonite ANGLE". I told him (jokingly) that it was illegal to use a ball that was older than the guy he was bowling against, which just so happens the ball was 4 years older than the kid he bowled against. Long story short, that "old" ball bout him a 793 series last night !! Everyone around us was going nuts, because the angle was a urethane ball ! All night long he played second arrow and if he missed right by two to three boards it came back and crushed the pocket, and if he miss left by two board same thing. So, so much for all of this new equipment with computer generated weight blocks.

Zothen
02-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Having since relearned to bowl from the basics,I have re-realized that the best ball for me is a ball with a symmetrical core. I have recently gotten rid of my 508A and will be getting Columbia 300 VOW to replace it. I still have several asymmetrical core balls for when I play a longer oil pattern,but for the short oil or THS symmetrical works best for me and my rev(250-300).

Zothen

Hammer
02-02-2013, 02:34 PM
I stick with symmetrical core equipment also because of my speed, 13.5 to 14.5mph, my rev rate which isn't that high and my age which will be 66 tomorrow. YIKES!:eek: Plus I play on THS patterns that would be hard for me to play with asymmetrical equipment. If I had a high rev rate and a speed of 16 to 17mph and can play coast to coast bowling it might be a different story.

ArtVandelay
02-02-2013, 11:29 PM
I stick with symmetrical core equipment also because of my speed, 13.5 to 14.5mph, my rev rate which isn't that high and my age which will be 66 tomorrow. YIKES!:eek: Plus I play on THS patterns that would be hard for me to play with asymmetrical equipment. If I had a high rev rate and a speed of 16 to 17mph and can play coast to coast bowling it might be a different story.

Happy Birthday! You should probably buy yourself a ball to celebrate!

66? Thats a great number. The great Mario Lemieux wore that number because it was 99 flipped, and 99 (of course...) belonged to Wayne Gretzky.

ArtVandelay
02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
...you should probably have a party of some kind. Maybe enjoy some beers, some refreshments, and see if there are any sports on tv in the evening... Football, perhaps?

ecub
02-03-2013, 12:42 AM
I don't buy them, but I have an arrangement with my pro shop guy. I can get 2 balls a year, so I just pickup whatever looks cool. I currently have the Hammer Taboo, Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver, Storm Natural Pearl and I'm waiting on the Hammer 1st Blood.

billf
02-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Ever buy a ball just because? I replaced my entire arsenal last year because a certain ball company ticked me off. What's funny is now that I can get my equipment at cost, I haven't bought a thing.
Personally, my style and speed can vary greatly from day to day or even morning to afternoon. At the City tournament team even yesterday I was TRYING to go slow and smooth but my speed was never under 19.6 mph so I went with my pin down Revenge. After the adrenaline subsided and my speed slowed to my normal 15-18 mph I went to my Marauder. Bad day for me though as I only rolled a 655 series. Luckily Derrick went 744 and as a team went 3295.

Hammer
02-07-2013, 05:44 PM
To billf, how many balls did you buy and what were they?

GeoLes
02-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Did I ever purchase a new ball just because?

My wife won't let me.