PDA

View Full Version : I am concerned about developing chronic wrist troubles

unclemantis
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
I just came accross this article on PBA.COM http://news.pba.com/post/2011/01/07/e2809cThumblesse2809d-Mike-Miller-Daughter-Adrienne-to-Make-History-in-241-Million-PBA-Tournament-of-Champions.aspx

It looks like Mike Miller retired 13 years ago because he developed chronic wrist troubles due to his thumb-less release. I just came back into the game after 10 years due to a car accident and I converted to thumb-less and got back in the game after a month and I am now close to a 200 average again!

last night after bowling 8 games I had trouble during the beginning of th 7th where the ball felt like it was slipping out of my hand. I had to concentrate more and more on cupping my ball hardder which calse my attention on other areas to be descracted which allso caused me to give too much lift on the ball. After a while I got back into the swing of things.

But twords the end of the 8th game I was just too tired and converted to a broken wrist dead on approach to finish up with above 200 game.

What can I do to insurse that I am not taken out of the game before my time? I have not signed up for a leauge yet or even attended any tournaments.

What can I do to prevent injury and what can I do to strenghten key areas of my body so that everything feels effortless?

Thanks guys!

It sure feels great to be bowling over 200 again 6 games out of 8!!!! Average last night was 197.

Tampabaybob
02-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Michael, I wish there was something I could say that might assure you of never having that type of problem, however, with that type of release most of the pressure will be on your wrist from cupping so much. The only thing that might help is to do some wrist strength exercises and build up the muscles and tendons in your wrist. Also you might want to consult a sports therapist and get some suggestions from them. When you get older, and I know this from personal experience, lots of aches and pains suddenly appear about an hour after bowling and the next morning isn't any better. So while you're young enough try and take some preventative measures. Good luck.

unclemantis
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Michael, I wish there was something I could say that might assure you of never having that type of problem, however, with that type of release most of the pressure will be on your wrist from cupping so much. The only thing that might help is to do some wrist strength exercises and build up the muscles and tendons in your wrist. Also you might want to consult a sports therapist and get some suggestions from them. When you get older, and I know this from personal experience, lots of aches and pains suddenly appear about an hour after bowling and the next morning isn't any better. So while you're young enough try and take some preventative measures. Good luck.

Also I need to get my timing better so that when my arm swings back and forth the ball is where it should be at the time it needs to be.

Know what I mean?

I wonder if Mike Miller takes email questions?

Tampabaybob
02-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Try him. Most good bowlers are more than willing to help out other bowlers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

unclemantis
02-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Try him. Most good bowlers are more than willing to help out other bowlers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I can't seem to find his Twitter account or any other access point.

Little help :)

J Anderson
02-01-2013, 11:25 PM
I can't seem to find his Twitter account or any other access point.

Little help :)

I sort of doubt that Mike Miller would be on Twitter.

ArtVandelay
02-02-2013, 12:34 AM
8 games is a lot and I know you tend to bowl a ton of those $1 game open nights. Perhaps bowling 3 to 4 is the answer. Or consider joining a league. I also have a thumbless release (most of the time) and I bowl about 5 games a week on average. Sometimes I only bowl 3 games in league. I DID have wrist problems last year but I blame golf...

Less is more, and proper recovery time is key. At least consider bowling only every 3 days if you are going to bowl 8 games per trip. Let yourself recover.

A pro will bowl more than that because it is income. You have a choice.

unclemantis
02-02-2013, 12:57 AM
8 games is a lot and I know you tend to bowl a ton of those $1 game open nights. Perhaps bowling 3 to 4 is the answer. Or consider joining a league. I also have a thumbless release (most of the time) and I bowl about 5 games a week on average. Sometimes I only bowl 3 games in league. I DID have wrist problems last year but I blame golf...

Less is more, and proper recovery time is key. At least consider bowling only every 3 days if you are going to bowl 8 games per trip. Let yourself recover.

A pro will bowl more than that because it is income. You have a choice.

So 3 to 4 every other day?

Tampabaybob
02-02-2013, 04:19 AM
I agree with Art....... If you bowl 8 games and get tired after 4 or 5, a lot of things start shutting down. You're getting tired, so you're approach, swing and follow through may change/suffer. Better to shoot 3 maybe 4 at a time, I think you'd get more out of it.

unclemantis
02-02-2013, 10:40 AM
I agree with Art....... If you bowl 8 games and get tired after 4 or 5, a lot of things start shutting down. You're getting tired, so you're approach, swing and follow through may change/suffer. Better to shoot 3 maybe 4 at a time, I think you'd get more out of it.

I will try that.

I think muscle memory is hard wired now

Tampabaybob
02-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Muscle memory usually happens (for a specific movement) after 1200 to 1500 repetitions. As you get better, yes, the muscle memory it extremely important, however, when you get better, and your level of knowledge increases, you thinking process gets much more involved. Your base muscle memory should always stay the same, it's the hand adjustments, speed control, loft or no loft, and many other things that you have to change periodically, that may be tough to maintain. You may change them from one game to another, but your basic muscle memory should always stay intact.

billf
02-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Bowling is no diffferent than any other exercise. You can't take 12 years off from bench pressing and do as much or as often as before. Work up to the number you want. I'm a freak in the number of games I bowl a day or week but it's with a purpose in mind. Next Saturday I have three entries in the local doubles/singles tournament. I will bowl 6 games each at noon, three and seven. So that will be 18 tournament games for the day. I also plan to bowl two practice games before hand and sub Sunday morning. Most bowlers wouldn't think of doing this when they have a choice but I normally bowl 20+ games a day anyway.

I was favored to win the overall title until I only bowled a 655 in team event yesterday. If I had the extra $20 I would have entered with another team after that. Now it looks like I will need a 700 series in doubles and 800 in singles to get back into contention. With my luck I will get them on different squads and not win. To put it in perspective, I bowl with Derrick at noon and he rolled a 744 yesterday so he has me by 90 pins already. The guy I bowl with at 3 didn't do team event so he won't qualify for overall. At 7 I bowl with another teammate, Chris, who rolled a 684 yesterday. If I can't beat those I'm bowling with then I sure won't beat those I'm not.

unclemantis
02-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Just got done with a little Practice.
Bowled a 190, 182, 182, 146, 205 for a 905 series!

unclemantis
02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Oh and I discovered why I am dropping the ball after a few games. My fingers are site and swelled up. I need to.get my inserts replaced to one size larger.