PDA

View Full Version : The Great Thumbhole Experiment

Rdmonster
02-01-2013, 08:45 PM
If the boards have read my posts then some of you know that I have had thumb issues. Most notably numbness. Although I have gotten over the worst of it I am very careful. I can feel it ready to creep back up. I'm pretty sure I now know the true cause.....gripping the ball.

In the quest for better technique and proper form I read a lot. I was pretty sure I had a decent fitting thumb......I was wrong. In warmup for league me and the guys were messing around. My buddy and me decided to go at the same time on adjacent lanes (in practice). I was so relaxed that I didn't grip the ball at all...it fell right off my hand in the backswing. I didn't really think much of it at the time.

The more I thought about it the more I thought it was wrong. I read some articles about thumb holes and ran across a good one by Ron Clifton. It basically made me think my hole was way to loose.

When I got home from work I decided to do the test where you hold the ball super relaxed with it at your side.The ball fell right off after I finally overcame the desire to grip it.I then started adding tape.

I kept throwing practice tosses into my couch. When I messed up....the ball stuck like glue....when my hand was relaxed it came off like butter.Its gonna take a lot of work.....I'm convinced its still to loose.

I'm going to find my Zen spot and practice on Monday. I think I can get it because my practice throws have shown me its not going to stick if I do my part....Im up to five pieces tape.

My only concern is that my team (yes...my team...it was all my idea!!) is in first place...ive got my average to 156 and I've never done worse than winning two out of three all year.I don't want to mess it up.

Please add your thoughts and wish me luck.

unclemantis
02-02-2013, 01:03 AM
If the boards have read my posts then some of you know that I have had thumb issues. Most notably numbness. Although I have gotten over the worst of it I am very careful. I can feel it ready to creep back up. I'm pretty sure I now know the true cause.....gripping the ball.

In the quest for better technique and proper form I read a lot. I was pretty sure I had a decent fitting thumb......I was wrong. In warmup for league me and the guys were messing around. My buddy and me decided to go at the same time on adjacent lanes (in practice). I was so relaxed that I didn't grip the ball at all...it fell right off my hand in the backswing. I didn't really think much of it at the time.

The more I thought about it the more I thought it was wrong. I read some articles about thumb holes and ran across a good one by Ron Clifton. It basically made me think my hole was way to loose.

When I got home from work I decided to do the test where you hold the ball super relaxed with it at your side.The ball fell right off after I finally overcame the desire to grip it.I then started adding tape.

I kept throwing practice tosses into my couch. When I messed up....the ball stuck like glue....when my hand was relaxed it came off like butter.Its gonna take a lot of work.....I'm convinced its still to loose.

I'm going to find my Zen spot and practice on Monday. I think I can get it because my practice throws have shown me its not going to stick if I do my part....Im up to five pieces tape.

My only concern is that my team (yes...my team...it was all my idea!!) is in first place...ive got my average to 156 and I've never done worse than winning two out of three all year.I don't want to mess it up.

Please add your thoughts and wish me luck.

Good luck!

Also take into concideration the overall tempature. My ball heats up during a game so the thumb feels smaller. I don't use my thumb at all but just letting you know it could be weather related.

A hole that is too big is better than one that is too small. You can always add tape.

Also visit your pro shop, they may have some ideas.

Again, GOOD LUCK!

noeymc
02-02-2013, 02:08 AM
Good luck!

Also take into concideration the overall tempature. My ball heats up during a game so the thumb feels smaller. I don't use my thumb at all but just letting you know it could be weather related.

A hole that is too big is better than one that is too small. You can always add tape.

Also visit your pro shop, they may have some ideas.

Again, GOOD LUCK!

very good answer to his post!

Rdmonster
02-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Ive had my proshop go over my stuff and they say the meaurements are fine but I know beyond a doubt that I am gripping the ball too much. My plan on Monday is to try to develop a relaxed hand feel even if I shoot a 50. Thinking about how much I hang up in this ball with no tape but how it falls out of my relaxed hand standing in my living room tells me it's to loose and I'm gripping when I bowl.

I want to develop the feeling of not holding on at all and having the ball fly out of my hand at release without me having to "let go of it". I can feel my hand tightening on it during the backswing. When I take a few practice tosses at home after putting lots of tape in the thumbhole it releases clean with out me grasping it.I make a conscious effort to keep the tip of my thumb ressing back...the opposite of grasping it. With no tape it just falls off...I'll be experimenting and letting everyone know if I learn anything or if I am totally wrong.

unclemantis
02-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Ive had my proshop go over my stuff and they say the meaurements are fine but I know beyond a doubt that I am gripping the ball too much. My plan on Monday is to try to develop a relaxed hand feel even if I shoot a 50. Thinking about how much I hang up in this ball with no tape but how it falls out of my relaxed hand standing in my living room tells me it's to loose and I'm gripping when I bowl.

I want to develop the feeling of not holding on at all and having the ball fly out of my hand at release without me having to "let go of it". I can feel my hand tightening on it during the backswing. When I take a few practice tosses at home after putting lots of tape in the thumbhole it releases clean with out me grasping it.I make a conscious effort to keep the tip of my thumb ressing back...the opposite of grasping it. With no tape it just falls off...I'll be experimenting and letting everyone know if I learn anything or if I am totally wrong.

Let the ball do the work.

scottymoney
02-02-2013, 02:07 PM
If you don't use your thumb how does the thumb hole feel smaller? And it has nothing to do with the ball heating up and everything to do with the thumb swelling or shrinking due to the weather. Your ball does not heat up enough to change the thumbhole size.

SouthpawTRK
02-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Have you ever thought about using the interchangeable thumb systems on the market? There are a couple of guys in league that use them; having different sized ones for when their thumb may swell or shrink. I'm sure there are going to be mixed reviews on them, but definitely could be a possible solution.

unclemantis
02-02-2013, 02:37 PM
If you don't use your thumb how does the thumb hole feel smaller? And it has nothing to do with the ball heating up and everything to do with the thumb swelling or shrinking due to the weather. Your ball does not heat up enough to change the thumbhole size.

Because I stick my thumb in it from time to time to pick the ball up from the return rack or out of the bag.

Rdmonster
02-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Have you ever thought about using the interchangeable thumb systems on the market? There are a couple of guys in league that use them; having different sized ones for when their thumb may swell or shrink. I'm sure there are going to be mixed reviews on them, but definitely could be a possible solution.

I have but would rather conquer this fundamental issue before contemplating something like interchangeable thumbs. I'm sure it's technique related..if I can get it snug with tape and learn to keep my thumb from gripping the ball I will be very happy.

unclemantis
02-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Just go thumbless. I have a high game of 225

Rdmonster
02-02-2013, 10:54 PM

Lol...my high game is 258... I've given it a passing thought...but I'm a purist

slmrcs
02-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Ron Clifton also has article on forward pitch. Few ball drillers understand pitch. In fact most are flat out incompetant, so the fact that one approved of your fit shouldn't necessarily confirm anything, unless he's one of the few who really know what he is doing (they all do have big ego's and think they do).

unclemantis
02-03-2013, 02:00 PM
I need my finger grips replaced tomorrow. I need one size up. Not sure of my pitch but I think it is forward.

ZRock
02-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Your pitch doesn't matter if you don't use your thumb.

Rdmonster
02-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I also read the article on thumb pitch.....if I get to the point that I can make a throw without gripping the ball and still have issues I will investigate that next.

I did have a pretty substantial bevel added to my Marauder because I felt that might have been the cause of my issues. I will update this thread after I practice tommorow.

scottymoney
02-03-2013, 04:24 PM
How do you already need your finger grips replaced? You haven't had the ball a month?

Rdmonster
02-08-2013, 11:13 AM
the brace helped my thumb get out cleaner but still felt like I was grabbing....not much new I guess but I'll keep trying lol

75lockwood
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Just saw this thread lol.

Ok, so there is a difference between not squeezing and not feeling any pressure on your thumb, you should still feel the ball with your thumb, but fully squeeze it.

how good are you at staying behind and under the ball? if you pick the ball straight up its not possible to hold it without squeezing unless the fit is way to tight and you are creating suction between your thumb and the ball. the reason the ball doesn't fall off when you swing it is because of centrifugal force, and if you are dropping it it is most likely due to a pause in your swing at which point either the ball is not pushing on the hand (back swing) or the hand is not pushing on the ball (swing forward). the pro shop said the fit was good, assuming he he is good at his job and knows what he's talking about then the reason you drop the ball when not squeezing is because your swing is not free and you are pausing giving the ball a chance to drop.

ecub
02-09-2013, 01:42 AM

People can get lucky at times :) I have a high game of 279 during a league and a 300 after league for money, using my thumb.

unclemantis
02-09-2013, 01:44 AM
People can get lucky at times :) I have a high game of 279 during a league and a 300 after league for money, using my thumb.

Funny guy. I average 170. Just need to be lucky ALL the time :-)

Rdmonster
02-09-2013, 11:08 AM
I was just wondering if maybe my span is a little long. What Ive read seems to say that when inserted (fingertip ball) the fingernails should not be firmly pressing into the back of the grips but rather straight down in. When my fingers go straight down in it is hard to get my thumb in. Im going to experiment some later but may have my new ball drilled with a slightly shorter span.

the pro shop measured me but did it against my old ball and I have a feeling that what he sees when my fingers are splayed out over the finger holes versus what my hand really does inside the ball are different. Or maybe I lack flexibility and when I'm in the ball my hand is stretched causing issues.

sigh...hope I get this figured out soon.