PDA

View Full Version : First No-Tap Tournament

Flyer41
02-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Bowling in my first no-tap tomorrow, 4 game block. Trying to get some experience before I get done with school so I'm ready to go once I graduate. Been bowling well recently at local college nights, so I have pretty high expectations for myself. Any advice from the veterans out there on how to approach a no-tap? Anything will be appreciated.

Greenday
02-02-2013, 01:14 PM
I do a no-tap tournament once a month. It's a lot of fun. Don't do anything crazy. Just find an easy line to the pocket and relax. If you can hit the pocket, doesn't even have to be perfect, you should get at least nine nearly every shot. As my coach says, don't worry about throwing the perfect shot every frame. Just throw acceptable shots.

I threw my first no-tap 300 the last tournament I did. I was super relaxed and just focused on hitting my mark and nothing else. I ended up having 9 actual strikes in that game.

billf
02-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Don't think, "I only need 9." Instead just try to make quality shots.

Flyer41
02-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Well, I think I did fairly well. 300,278,189 (oof), and 255 for 1022. Broke down for me bad the third game, and moved from playing 4th arrow out to 12 to playing right up 10 the last game. Used the IQ Tour Pearl all day, as it is the only ball I have at school with me. Finished tied for 5th and got a few bucks from the brackets and 300 jackpot.

Greenday
02-04-2013, 12:43 AM
I got my butt kicked in my tournament. My ball was wobbling when it rolled down the lane so I was concerned I sanded one side too much but it still looks spherical to me. I think it might be the extra grip tape in the thumb. Changed the pitch too much maybe?

210, 250, 199. Few people managed to throw 900s. Just couldn't get in the groove.

SouthpawTRK
04-07-2013, 10:41 PM
I bowled in my first no tap today; wish I would have read bill's advice. I was thinking too much of just trying to get nine and not making quality shots. The two highlights of the series was a 280 and winning some money for a high handicap score. I had a lot of fun and I look forward to entering more of them.