PDA

View Full Version : My forms evolution in the past 4 months

I suck at bowling
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23KXl3DcCAA

Zothen
02-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Not bad at all! Good job on working the kinks out.

Zothen

I suck at bowling
02-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Not bad at all! Good job on working the kinks out.

Zothen

Thanks man! My bowling is always a work in progress, but I feel like I'm getting better everyday, lol

got_a_300
02-04-2013, 11:26 PM
It seems you have really improved a lot keep
up the good work.

coachkapps
02-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Nice work. Very powerful!!

I suck at bowling
02-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Nice work. Very powerful!!

Thank you! I haven't quite achieved the power of Osku yet, but I think I'm on my way.

scottymoney
02-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Much improvement, I think you are stuck on the "getty up" step with your one handed approach. I don't think I have seen anyone actually use the 2 handed approach with a 1 handed delivery, you are the first. You may gain balance if you get rid of it and go to more of a normal approach for one handed. I can't say anything about the 2 handed release as I have never done it nor do I study it. You may gain balance by slowing down your feet though with the one handed release.

I suck at bowling
02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Much improvement, I think you are stuck on the "getty up" step with your one handed approach. I don't think I have seen anyone actually use the 2 handed approach with a 1 handed delivery, you are the first. You may gain balance if you get rid of it and go to more of a normal approach for one handed. I can't say anything about the 2 handed release as I have never done it nor do I study it. You may gain balance by slowing down your feet though with the one handed release.

Yeah, people always said the my old one handed form was "unique". It was unique, but it was all over the place. I think it came from me messing around with the two handed style when I was just starting, and they kinda melded together, lol.

Tampabaybob
02-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Great video, showing lots of improvement. The biggest thing I noticed is your straight leg (left leg) at the foul line. You have little or no knee bend and little or no slide. Try to get a little lower on your last step or two and get your right foot on the floor. That will allow you to stay balanced and be able to post your shot. You shouldn't be falling over to the right on any shot. Every time you do that you risk the chance of missing your target because your body is in a consistent movement. You want to try to stabilize the approach and slide. That will increase your accuracy dramatically. As far as shooting your spares a different way...go for it. What ever works is good. One of the guys on my team (a former junior bowler of mine) shoots all of his spares on the right side with a backup ball and totally freaks out the players on the other team. Keep practicing and let us know how you're doing. Great job.

I suck at bowling
02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Great video, showing lots of improvement. The biggest thing I noticed is your straight leg (left leg) at the foul line. You have little or no knee bend and little or no slide. Try to get a little lower on your last step or two and get your right foot on the floor. That will allow you to stay balanced and be able to post your shot. You shouldn't be falling over to the right on any shot. Every time you do that you risk the chance of missing your target because your body is in a consistent movement. You want to try to stabilize the approach and slide. That will increase your accuracy dramatically. As far as shooting your spares a different way...go for it. What ever works is good. One of the guys on my team (a former junior bowler of mine) shoots all of his spares on the right side with a backup ball and totally freaks out the players on the other team. Keep practicing and let us know how you're doing. Great job.

Thanks for the great advice man!

The three big things I'm working on are

1. Bending my knees more and staying balanced
2. Not whipping my head around
3. Having a consistant followthrough

RoccoRock
02-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I have to say, you should really stick with one thing. Throwing the ball two different ways is going to lead to inconsistency. LOL, I'm just kidding bro. I bowl both one handed and two handed as well, and that's the same song and dance I hear. I am a firm believer in you do what you need, and want to do. The difference between you and me, besides the apparent 20 year or so age gap, is when I bowl two handed I shoot all my spares two handed as well. If I go one hand, I commit to it the whole game. i won't change in the middle of a game. You can learn to throw a straight ball two handed just as easy as you can learn to throw a ball one handed. Just look at Belmo, his shoots his spares dead straight two handed. In all the years I've watched him bowl, I think I've only seen him miss 2 non split spares.

I have similar issues two handed. Balance, and too much head movement. I'm working on making my delivery less violent, therefore making it more consistent. It will also allow me to be able to do it longer. At 36, if I keep up a violent delivery, I probably won't be able to do it in 5 years. That was the original idea of me switching to one hand. As of now, I'm going to put some time into my two handed, and see where it takes me.

I find it inter sting that you use a Hell Raiser Revenge. With your rev rate, I would think that's too much ball. I'm curious, do you leave a lot of 10, and 7 pins? When I used a Mutant Cell Pearl, and a 919C I left corners a lot. When I changes to a 607A, I left far fewer corner pins. Right now I don't feel comfortable throwing anything stronger than my Marauder.

I suck at bowling
02-08-2013, 05:46 PM
I have to say, you should really stick with one thing. Throwing the ball two different ways is going to lead to inconsistency. LOL, I'm just kidding bro. I bowl both one handed and two handed as well, and that's the same song and dance I hear. I am a firm believer in you do what you need, and want to do. The difference between you and me, besides the apparent 20 year or so age gap, is when I bowl two handed I shoot all my spares two handed as well. If I go one hand, I commit to it the whole game. i won't change in the middle of a game. You can learn to throw a straight ball two handed just as easy as you can learn to throw a ball one handed. Just look at Belmo, his shoots his spares dead straight two handed. In all the years I've watched him bowl, I think I've only seen him miss 2 non split spares.

I have similar issues two handed. Balance, and too much head movement. I'm working on making my delivery less violent, therefore making it more consistent. It will also allow me to be able to do it longer. At 36, if I keep up a violent delivery, I probably won't be able to do it in 5 years. That was the original idea of me switching to one hand. As of now, I'm going to put some time into my two handed, and see where it takes me.

I find it inter sting that you use a Hell Raiser Revenge. With your rev rate, I would think that's too much ball. I'm curious, do you leave a lot of 10, and 7 pins? When I used a Mutant Cell Pearl, and a 919C I left corners a lot. When I changes to a 607A, I left far fewer corner pins. Right now I don't feel comfortable throwing anything stronger than my Marauder.

Great guess on the age gap! I'm 16, lol.

I tried to throw spares two handed for a while, but even damn plastic balls would curve too much! So I throw some spares one handed now. I absolutely love my HRR, it is just so strong that I barely ever get to throw it on a regular house shot. I usually only throw it on the heavier sport stuff. And I leave more 4 and 9 pins then I do 10 pins, but I do leave 10 pins regularly. The Marauder is pretty strong man! I have a friend who throws one, and it corners pretty hard, lol.

Tampabaybob
02-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Great guess on the age gap! I'm 16, lol.

I tried to throw spares two handed for a while, but even damn plastic balls would curve too much! So I throw some spares one handed now. I absolutely love my HRR, it is just so strong that I barely ever get to throw it on a regular house shot. I usually only throw it on the heavier sport stuff. And I leave more 4 and 9 pins then I do 10 pins, but I do leave 10 pins regularly. The Marauder is pretty strong man! I have a friend who throws one, and it corners pretty hard, lol.

Ok, here's a tip for you. Free of charge ! Next time you bowl, take your plastic ball, and use some polish on it. doesn't matter what type, just shine that sucker as much as you can. (If you know the guy in the pro shop, and if he'll let you, ask him if you can use his ball spinner to do this). Now once that ball is "HIGHLY POLISHED" that thing should not hook even if there was no oil at all. I polish my spare ball BEFORE each set and that sucker will not hook. Try it, it works.

I suck at bowling
02-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Ok, here's a tip for you. Free of charge ! Next time you bowl, take your plastic ball, and use some polish on it. doesn't matter what type, just shine that sucker as much as you can. (If you know the guy in the pro shop, and if he'll let you, ask him if you can use his ball spinner to do this). Now once that ball is "HIGHLY POLISHED" that thing should not hook even if there was no oil at all. I polish my spare ball BEFORE each set and that sucker will not hook. Try it, it works.

My alley has a ball spinner in the back, so I'm sure that they will let me use it. Now having a true spare ball hurts my 9 pin shooting, i pick up the 3-10 at a higher rate!

but I'm gonna polish up my T-zone today.

Tampabaybob
02-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Cool, good luck. Let me know if it works. And oh by the way, just move a board or so to the right, and shoot the same target as you do for the ten pin to make the nine pin. Easy adjustment !

RoccoRock
02-12-2013, 07:40 AM
I used to struggle with the 10 a lot. Then I bought a brand new spare ball, and that did the trick. The old one got so beat up, and I never polished it, so it was hard to not hook it. Like Bob said, a polished plastic ball will go straight now matter what.

Tampabaybob
02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Some people are afraid to change the surface of the ball either to polish it or lower the original finish on the ball. Don't be afraid to experiment. You may find something that works a little better just by chaining the surface a bit.