PDA

View Full Version : Why fear the 10?

aussiedave
02-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Or the 7 for lefties.
For those who have been bowling long enough to consistently leave the dreaded 10, I reckon it is a mental thing that stops us from picking them up. Think about it - it is likely the most common leave for those good enough to hit the pocket most times in a game, so logically, it should be the one we throw at the most. Ergo, we should be most accomplished at hitting the darn thing.
I know exactly what board to throw at to get it as should you. So what is the problem? It's all in the mind - we fear the gutter.
The solution for me was to shoot across the lane and straight and not throw a hook. It all boils down to technique from there.
So many bowlers seem leary of shooting across the lane - and when you think about it, it should ease the mind as you have more lane to keep the ball on. Flirting with the gutter trying to shoot down the 5 or 10 board only exacerbates the problem as far as I'm concerned - why not take it out of the equation as much as possible?
I see so many hook bowlers persist with the hook when shooting at this pin and miss it to the left. If they had not tried to hook the ball, you can tell they would have picked it up. It's a simple adjustment to keep the hand under the ball and not rip the follow through but just let it flow off the hand. I
Look at it this way, would you rather be a 170 average or a 180+? One frame a game is all it takes. I know I get more appreciative high fives when I pick up a ten than other single pin spares.
I pick it up at least 8 times out of ten and have no qualms shooting at it whatsoever.
ad.

Greenday
02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
10 pin, after the 1 and 3 pins, is the easiest IMO. I grab my spare ball, stand on the 35 board, spread my pinky wide, bring my index finger against my middle finger, and throw the ball over the middle arrow. Pick it up every time.

ecub
02-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm a righty, but I don't fear the 10. I fear the 7 more. LOL

I go cross alley, when picking up either the 7 or 10. I always adjust for my hook, I don't use a spare, to pick up either the 7 or 10. But whenever I pickup the 7, I end up not putting enough finger on the ball that it doesn't hook into the 7 or I pull it.

TheSheibs
02-05-2013, 05:47 PM
I was very lucky. When I was younger and being taught to bowl by my dad, there was more emphasis put on being able to pick up spares. My dad would tell me to hit the pocket and try to leave something you can pick up. I would leave a lot of 7s and 10s. So I was taught how to pick them up and to go from one side to the other for both. Sure enough, I know exactly where I need to throw the ball to pick up them both. Oh, and I'm a lefty. When bowling now, I don't care so much about leaving one of those pins since I know I that if I am being consistent with hitting my mark, that I will pick up those pins between 75% and 100% of the time. When I miss, it is usually because I threw the ball straighter than I should have or sent the ball at too sharp of an angle. This also is where having a spare ball that doesn't hook comes in handy.

aussiedave
02-05-2013, 06:24 PM
10 pin, after the 1 and 3 pins, is the easiest IMO. I grab my spare ball, stand on the 35 board, spread my pinky wide, bring my index finger against my middle finger, and throw the ball over the middle arrow. Pick it up every time.
Man, you just described me exactly!
When I use urethane, I will continue to use her, but if on resin, I will pick up the urethane ball and shoot it.
ad.

aussiedave
02-05-2013, 06:28 PM
I was very lucky. When I was younger and being taught to bowl by my dad, there was more emphasis put on being able to pick up spares. My dad would tell me to hit the pocket and try to leave something you can pick up. I would leave a lot of 7s and 10s. So I was taught how to pick them up and to go from one side to the other for both. Sure enough, I know exactly where I need to throw the ball to pick up them both. Oh, and I'm a lefty. When bowling now, I don't care so much about leaving one of those pins since I know I that if I am being consistent with hitting my mark, that I will pick up those pins between 75% and 100% of the time. When I miss, it is usually because I threw the ball straighter than I should have or sent the ball at too sharp of an angle. This also is where having a spare ball that doesn't hook comes in handy.
I have seen drier conditions when resin balls are starting to behave erratically and they will shoot it at the spares!
I prefer to play it safe and pick up a less aggressive ball for my spares period.
ad.

Greenday
02-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Man, you just described me exactly!
When I use urethane, I will continue to use her, but if on resin, I will pick up the urethane ball and shoot it.
ad.

If there's enough oil, I can 10 pin shoot with my Tropical Breeze, it's weak enough that I can throw it straight easily on heavier oil.

BoomGoesTheDynomite
02-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I personally think the 10 pin is one of the easier spares. Just because as you said I leave it the most. I like to throw my strike ball cross lane and take all my hand out of the ball so it goes dead straight. I used to spend games only practicing corner pins. It definitely forced me to be comfortable shooting them.

chrono00
02-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Yea I tend to worry about the ten far less than the seven, mostly because I've had to shoot at the ten so much I figured out how lol. The seven I don't leave that often so it's a bit tougher

e-tank
02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
i just use a house plastic ball and throw it across lane. I still throw it like a hook but it only hooks about 2 boards max

aussiedave
02-06-2013, 04:52 AM
i just use a house plastic ball and throw it across lane. I still throw it like a hook but it only hooks about 2 boards max
Probably the best idea of all as you don't have to do anything different so it should be the most natural shot to make.
ad.

noeymc
02-06-2013, 06:57 AM
ten pin is easy i just break my wrist...

75lockwood
02-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I was so annoyed with the 10 pin yesterday, the conditions were so dry that i couldn't get a ball to go even remotely straight enough to hit it..... I can't wait to get that spare ball....

I suck at bowling
02-06-2013, 09:55 AM
The spare itself is quite difficult for beginner bowlers who don't have a system to pick it up.

For experienced bowlers, it's the demoralizing feeling of throwing a good shot, but leaving the 10.

noeymc
02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
I was so annoyed with the 10 pin yesterday, the conditions were so dry that i couldn't get a ball to go even remotely straight enough to hit it..... I can't wait to get that spare ball....

speed ur ball up so it dont have time to hook =D

americantrotter
02-06-2013, 10:00 AM
I have my spareball just for 10 pins. I just dont shoot it as accurately as my hook for anything else. But going across the lane for the ten is becoming a solid part of my game. I don't fear it anymore, I'm usually just more irritated that it's still there.

75lockwood
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
speed ur ball up so it dont have time to hook =D

ok, when you throw a NeXXXus across a bone dry wooden lane nothing will stop it from moving, i went from 15 to 16.5ish mph, broke down my wrist, 0 axis rotation, and the ball still hooked 10 boards.... (marauder was worse because it would hook sooner)

noeymc
02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
ok, when you throw a NeXXXus across a bone dry wooden lane nothing will stop it from moving, i went from 15 to 16.5ish mph, broke down my wrist, 0 axis rotation, and the ball still hooked 10 boards.... (marauder was worse because it would hook sooner)

get it up to the 20-24 mph bet u =D

aussiedave
02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
I have my spareball just for 10 pins. I just dont shoot it as accurately as my hook for anything else. But going across the lane for the ten is becoming a solid part of my game. I don't fear it anymore, I'm usually just more irritated that it's still there.
And that is why we miss it - we are so mad that our heads are not in the game and we are unfocused. From there it is easy to make a poor shot and plain miss.
Another good idea for those who are thinking of going with a spare ball and need a bit of eaxtra pace is to drop a couple of pounds to about 13 - you don't need 15lbs to knock over 1 or 2 pins and you will be able to toss is quicker.
ad.

scottymoney
02-06-2013, 01:18 PM
FYI, read an article that basically gives all the info.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_june_08.pdf

noeymc
02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
what u mean our heads not in the game? we could have 5 strikes in a row then all of sudden ur lines burnt up just enough u leave a solid ten confused everyone pretty much knows how to shot a ten/seven its just they prob dont practice it as much as they should

FYI, read an article that basically gives all the info.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_june_08.pdf

very good read

harroo
02-07-2013, 12:28 AM
I use whichever ball I am using as a strike ball at the time the feeling of the ball is more important to me i dont like to put my fingers in to a cold spare ball that has been sat there all night. So i will always just use my strike ball and throw a backup of 1 - 2 boards As norm duke teaches.

Tampabaybob
02-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Breaking your wrist backwards, increasing speed = easiest way to pick up corner pins. With that said, you probably shouldn't try picking them up with a very aggressive ball like the Nexxxus. Try something much less aggressive and you'll convert most of them easily. Target percentage on corner pins should be 90%. Target percentage on all other spares should be 95%. If you increase your accuracy on your spare shooting, that accuracy eventually rolls over to your first ball and you'll start seeing more strikes. Take as much time if not more when shooting your spares and try to keep a mental count on your accuracy. As I've said before, the three most important things in this game is accuracy, accuracy, and accuracy. Really tough to beat an accurate bowler.

All other adjustments to your game can be overcome such as roll, axis changes, delivery, arm swing, etc. Accuracy is one thing that matters the most.

Dartgod
02-07-2013, 02:15 PM
I've always struggled with the ten pin. I use my old gray Angle urethane ball now for them and I can pretty much throw my normal shot. I'm getting better than I used to be when I stopped bowling 15 years ago.

Tampabaybob
02-07-2013, 03:58 PM
I've always struggled with the ten pin. I use my old gray Angle urethane ball now for them and I can pretty much throw my normal shot. I'm getting better than I used to be when I stopped bowling 15 years ago.

Old Angle Urethane, Huh ? Friend of mine last week, (bowling against my team of course) using and "OLD" Angle urethane, shot 793, at us with that ball. Tried to talk him out of using it by busting his chops and telling him balls older than 20 years old were against USBC regs. Didn't fall for it.... kicked our butts.

noeymc
02-08-2013, 12:57 AM
i use my hammer deep purple and pick up my conor pins id say my % is around 70-90 rough guess

Tampabaybob
02-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Depending what your currently averaging, I'd say if you're in the 180's-190's, 70-80% isn't bad. The trick here is to "take more time" on your 2nd shot and increase that percentage. Once you can achieve missing only one or two spares in a three game series, you'll see your average skyrocket up near the 200 level. As I've mentioned before, "Strikes are for show and Spares are for "MONEY"."

noeymc
02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
yeah i should get a lot more stirkes now after working with vince i bowled a 3 game series to see where i was after bowling like 3-4 days xtra to work on the 2 things and i seen ball drive thur the pins more and more action but the 3 rd game i think i brunt up my line and didn't move -_- and left like 5 frames in a row of solid tens only missed 1 =D but yeah i see my avg going up here real soon

Dartgod
02-09-2013, 04:57 PM
TampaBayBob,

I can't quote your post for some reason, but yeah I had the old black Angle first. Shot both of my 300's with that ball as well as a 290. I picked up the gray Angle later for dry conditions and spares.

unclemantis
02-10-2013, 04:38 PM
The 10 is a pain in the butt! I am getting closer to 100 percent conversion! Just got stop it leaving the ringing 10 and solid 10 :(

Tampabaybob
02-11-2013, 07:44 AM
TampaBayBob,

I can't quote your post for some reason, but yeah I had the old black Angle first. Shot both of my 300's with that ball as well as a 290. I picked up the gray Angle later for dry conditions and spares.

After seeing how my Buddies ANGLE reacted, I'm tempted to look on line and find a used one. The ball just was amazing on a real crappy pattern that others were struggling on. Says a lot for just having a urethane ball available in you bag for those types of conditions.

Tampabaybob
02-11-2013, 07:46 AM
The 10 is a pain in the butt! I am getting closer to 100 percent conversion! Just got stop it leaving the ringing 10 and solid 10 :(

TRY, moving back on the approach about 3-5 inches. Take your steps the same way, this should get the ball down on the lane a bit earlier and into a roll earlier. And hopefully less ten pins. Only do that when you start leaving several 10's.

noeymc
02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
bob normally i agree with you but on this one i gotta say only take a inch back if your hitting the pocket and just move inch at a time till u stop 3-5 seems like a really big change i mean if u see your hitting high then yeah 3-5 but if your just trying to fix a solid ten inch at a time thats just me tho =D

Tampabaybob
02-13-2013, 10:32 AM
This adjustment is different for every person. With some people, just moving an inch wouldn't change a thing, others may have to move much further. Again, no two bowlers are the same and what works for one person may not for another. If one inch works for you then stick with it.

unclemantis
02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
I tried an adjustment last night. Keep my index finger in close to my middle finger and spread my pinky out for balance. Seems to make the ball go straighter and hook less on the back when leaving the oil area.

SmilingBowler
02-14-2013, 02:39 AM
unclemantis,

That's how I throw my Ebonite Innovate when shooting the 10 pin. I was 2/2 on the 10 pin tonight, 6/6 on the 10 pin last WED (non-sanctioned) after making that adjustment in practice the Sunday before. Keeps the ball balanced on your palm for controlled release.

Best Bowling to you man. (: .)

SmilingBowler
02-14-2013, 02:45 AM
A game of "22" will help you hit those corner pins. Sunday mornings I throw three practice games.
When I'm done that I play a whole 10 frames, the fourth game, playing "22".

The purpose is to use your strike ball to take only the 10 and 7 pins.
Like golf, the aim is to shoot the lower score than before. Gutter balls count as 5 pins.

Have fun. You can also take a couple practice shots like this after you set your line during league play.

Mike White
02-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Depending what your currently averaging, I'd say if you're in the 180's-190's, 70-80% isn't bad. The trick here is to "take more time" on your 2nd shot and increase that percentage. Once you can achieve missing only one or two spares in a three game series, you'll see your average skyrocket up near the 200 level. As I've mentioned before, "Strikes are for show and Spares are for "MONEY"."

With todays conditions, if you have to shoot spares, you're already out of the money.

unclemantis
02-14-2013, 04:43 PM
unclemantis,

That's how I throw my Ebonite Innovate when shooting the 10 pin. I was 2/2 on the 10 pin tonight, 6/6 on the 10 pin last WED (non-sanctioned) after making that adjustment in practice the Sunday before. Keeps the ball balanced on your palm for controlled release.

Best Bowling to you man. (: .)

Great job!

ecub
02-14-2013, 05:41 PM
With todays conditions, if you have to shoot spares, you're already out of the money.

Definitely, especially in the 3rd game.

noeymc
02-15-2013, 12:00 AM
you guys should try our lanes =D there never the same i seen 222 avg bowler and a 212 avgs drop into the 190s so it depends on what type of house shot cuz there are easy house shots and hard house shots also a female who avgs 187 at one house has lost 40 pins on her avg at these lanes if u guys are ever in north east ohio let me know we shall bowl =D

ecub
02-15-2013, 01:58 AM
you guys should try our lanes =D there never the same i seen 222 avg bowler and a 212 avgs drop into the 190s so it depends on what type of house shot cuz there are easy house shots and hard house shots also a female who avgs 187 at one house has lost 40 pins on her avg at these lanes if u guys are ever in north east ohio let me know we shall bowl =D

That happens everywhere. I know a a guy with a 225 average and shot 173, 203, 221 for a 597. I remember the night, because it was a team we were bowling against and the guy was 4th man, and so was I.

The type of oil will probably vary from house to house, and how the oil settles will vary by temp/humidity. Also equipment used. Plus the weight of the pins will also vary from house to house, so that will affect pin carry.

SmilingBowler
02-15-2013, 02:42 AM
Great job!

Thanks! 3/3 on 10 pins earlier tonight.

noeymc
02-15-2013, 10:53 AM
That happens everywhere. I know a a guy with a 225 average and shot 173, 203, 221 for a 597. I remember the night, because it was a team we were bowling against and the guy was 4th man, and so was I.

The type of oil will probably vary from house to house, and how the oil settles will vary by temp/humidity. Also equipment used. Plus the weight of the pins will also vary from house to house, so that will affect pin carry.

all very true its just a tough house shot at least the hardest ive bowled in and i traveled a lot while in the military and moving but its def a good house to bowl in a little unorganized but its a new owner he's getting it together

aussiedave
02-15-2013, 04:26 PM
all very true its just a tough house shot at least the hardest ive bowled in and i traveled a lot while in the military and moving but its def a good house to bowl in a little unorganized but its a new owner he's getting it together
I used to bowl at a small country center in Australia about 15 years or more ago and it was it's third build - moved from two other towns. The owners were lousy with their money and consequently didn't oil their lanes properly or didn't care what the mechanic did.
Anyway, those were the most difficult lanes I ever bowled on and I had a chance to compare them with about 6 other centers, the easiest of which were in Brisbane which were the easiest - to give you a comparison, my average was about low 160's (at best) at the small country town and in the 180's at Brisbane.
ad.

billf
02-16-2013, 01:32 PM

Ben, Noah said speed it up. 16.5 mph is slow. Stop rolling it like a kid. Oh, wait, you are a young one. My average speed at the 10 pin is around 22 mph at 50'. This past Tuesday my team captain and I had a contest to see who could hit a single pin with the highest speed. I thought he had me with 35.7 mph at the 10 pin. I left a stone 9 pin and crushed it with a 38.2 mph shot. Both of us had the ball hit the back wall and roll all the way back up the lane and off the approach.

I will admit that Curt is smoother than me. His shots always look effortless and we both are usually in the low 20s on strike shots.

noeymc
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
bill i think u got me on speed my ten pin pick lol

Tampabaybob
02-19-2013, 09:50 AM

You make a very good point. The last 5 weeks, I've had to shoot against 230+ average bowlers and if you miss one, you're done. First 4 weeks I was above the 50% mark for kicking their butt. Last week the guy shot 802 at me ! Paled in comparison to my 650. He started with 268, then shot 278, and 256. Tough to beat and yeah, he was a lefty !! 3rd in those 5 weeks !

aussiedave
02-25-2013, 10:54 AM
It still depends on what the lanes are doing at the time - if the lanes are not striking very well, then the better spare shooter will be tough to beat.
Try missing a spare in the tenth leaving the frame open when it's close and see what happens.
ad.

mxjosh
02-26-2013, 01:30 AM
I hate the 10 pin cause I miss it enuff to fear it. Ik exactly where to stand, where to throw it but I cant always hit it. idk why. Some days I cant miss while other days I cant get anywhere near it. Anytime I get confident, I miss one, then back to square one again. I look at it like my strike shot. I cant always hit my target and I always get to shoot that first shot. 10 pin shows up less frequently so missing one really hurts.