PDA

View Full Version : What's your first adjustment?

aussiedave
02-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Scenario:-
It's late in the second game and you notice your main strike weapon resin ball is starting to come up too high in the pocket after performing admirably on the condition up to that point.
What's your first adjustment?
Do you just move two boards to the left and keep the same board out on the lane? Or do you put the main strike weapon in the bag and grab a less aggressive ball?
ad.

The German Shepherd
02-05-2013, 06:32 PM
When a ball has been reacting well for me and that kind of thing starts to happen, my first move is with my feet. If I have made that adjustment and the ball is leaving flat 10's I go to a less aggressive ball.

Jay

aussiedave
02-05-2013, 06:35 PM
When a ball has been reacting well for me and that kind of thing starts to happen, my first move is with my feet. If I have made that adjustment and the ball is leaving flat 10's I go to a less aggressive ball.

Jay
That's me too.
I'm a righty, and the first thing I do is move two boards left with the feet and if that doesn't work and I am sure I hit the mark, I will immediately go to the less aggressive ball.
No point in flogging a dead horse.
ad.

unclemantis
02-05-2013, 07:10 PM
It's late in the second game and you notice your main strike weapon resin ball is starting to come up too high in the pocket after performing admirably on the condition up to that point.
Do you just move two boards to the left and keep the same board out on the lane? Or do you put the main strike weapon in the bag and grab a less aggressive ball?
ad.

I have one ball only so 2 boards to the left. I check for drift first of course.

Greenday
02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Depends on what's going on. I almost move my feet left. If the new angle isn't giving me strikes when I hit the pocket, I go for a weaker ball.

e-tank
02-05-2013, 09:03 PM
moving left usually does it for me. I havent had to pull out a weaker ball unless i wanted to thus far

striker12
02-05-2013, 11:36 PM
i move 2 and 1 left because with moving 2 and 1 left i will still have the same break point but it will be a more angle and not over hook and go right back into the pocket but sometimes depending on how the lanes where in the first place i would move then 4 and 2 left opening up more.

ecub
02-06-2013, 01:55 AM
ad.

Depends where I'm at or what line I'm playing. If I'm already too deep, then I'll switch balls. Otherwise, if I still have plenty of room, I'll move a board or 2 left, depending on how high the ball went.

Zothen
02-06-2013, 02:48 AM
I will generally move 1/2-2 boards left. If ball is still going high,then I will try a lesser aggressive ball.

Zothen

unclemantis
02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
I had trouble last night. I ended up moving over 10 boards and shooting 5 to 10 boards over as well. Crap loud of carry down!

scottymoney
02-06-2013, 04:19 PM
I had trouble last night. I ended up moving over 10 boards and shooting 5 to 10 boards over as well. Crap loud of carry down!

here is a good read for you.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_oct_for_slowinski.pdf

unclemantis
02-06-2013, 04:22 PM
here is a good read for you.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_oct_for_slowinski.pdf

Thanks!

I will read this when I get a few. It just looked like the ball was not gripping at all.

unclemantis
02-06-2013, 04:28 PM
"Unless you come to a bowling center after hours of At the Kegel Training Center, the world leader in
open play or a birthday party, your change of ball motion bowling education, we strive to educate bowlers. One
is not a result of carrydown."

Well this was the case. Again there was no league play on that lane and mostly plastic ballers where on that lane.

Greenday
02-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Heh, tonight it was switch balls. Couldn't get a good roll from my Invasion so I switched to my Tropical Breeze. Missed inside and it just skidded into the pocket instead of over-hooking to the brooklyn side, giving me strikes. Missed just outside and it'd hook back anyway. I WIN!!!!!!!! MWAHAHAHA

Tampabaybob
02-07-2013, 08:16 AM
First move should be a couple of boards left (for righties). You should do this when you see the other bowlers before you starting to leave splits and 4 pin leaves. Don't wait until you get up and leave your own 4 pin or a split. Move on your next turn up. That's called being aware of the lanes starting to transition and anticipating the change. If your ball still comes in a little heavy try moving your target 1-2 boards right AND about 3 feet past the arrows. Pick a dark spot or something you can focus on and try to hit that gnat's butt on your next shot. That should bring you into the pocket. The reason for the target further out, is it will get your ball rolling a split second later. Try it. I do this every league nite and have of many years. It's a way to overcome the oil changes as you bowl. When the lanes have totally been fried, I look at the last hash mark on the right at the 40' mark to get the ball to slide further (and that's usually the last resort after changing to a less agressive ball !)

unclemantis
02-07-2013, 10:35 AM
First move should be a couple of boards left (for righties). You should do this when you see the other bowlers before you starting to leave splits and 4 pin leaves. Don't wait until you get up and leave your own 4 pin or a split. Move on your next turn up. That's called being aware of the lanes starting to transition and anticipating the change. If your ball still comes in a little heavy try moving your target 1-2 boards right AND about 3 feet past the arrows. Pick a dark spot or something you can focus on and try to hit that gnat's butt on your next shot. That should bring you into the pocket. The reason for the target further out, is it will get your ball rolling a split second later. Try it. I do this every league nite and have of many years. It's a way to overcome the oil changes as you bowl. When the lanes have totally been fried, I look at the last hash mark on the right at the 40' mark to get the ball to slide further (and that's usually the last resort after changing to a less agressive ball !)

I moved to 20 and threw over 10. I did try moving to 35 and threw over 25 but that didn't work. It just slid and then when it tried to hook it just couldn't cut the mustard. So my best bet was a straighter shot.

I only own one ball right now. I don't have the money right now to buy 2 more balls of greater and lesser hook.

ecub
02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
I moved to 20 and threw over 10. I did try moving to 35 and threw over 25 but that didn't work. It just slid and then when it tried to hook it just couldn't cut the mustard. So my best bet was a straighter shot.

I only own one ball right now. I don't have the money right now to buy 2 more balls of greater and lesser hook.

Stick with one ball. Use your thumb for better control. Learn to throw in different patterns. Learn how to adjust. The object of the game is to hit the pocket. Who cares how many boards you cover to make it hit. If you have to move right to hit it, do it.

dutchlefty
02-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Hei, I usually move 1-2 boards right. If that does not work out i play far out on the left, over 4-5th board..Sometimes with a ball change...

Tampabaybob
02-07-2013, 03:39 PM

Ok, when you have just the one ball the trick is to use your hand adjustments to throw more ore less hook. Coming straight up behind the ball "should" cut down on the hook. If it's too oily, then rotate your hand (thumb from 12:00 to the 3:00 position). You should be able to change from 12 to 1 to 2 to 3 for different reactions and axis rolls. If the lanes are hooking a lot moving your target further down the lane also helps. If you target at the arrows, 1st move could be 2' feet past. Don't be afraid to go 4', 6', or even further.

Other tips include, moving your index and pinky on the ball. There are many combinations of those that you can try too.

Just because you only have one ball, don't feel as though it's a detriment to you. learn exactly what that ball will do for you on different conditions, with differing hand positions. Now get out there and kick some butt !!

scottymoney
02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I watched a YouTube video today with a guy who was talking about adjusting to oil and oil changes. He was a pro shop owner and suggested hand adjustments before ball adjustments/changes. I believe it was a 16 minute long video from IAB on oil transition.

unclemantis
02-07-2013, 08:53 PM
I watched a YouTube video today with a guy who was talking about adjusting to oil and oil changes. He was a pro shop owner and suggested hand adjustments before ball adjustments/changes. I believe it was a 16 minute long video from IAB on oil transition.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obfJqa0e3i8

unclemantis
02-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Just got done watching the video. I will try the line change and release changes tonight. I will also try and keep my accuracy.

Wish me luck

ecub
02-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Just got done watching the video. I will try the line change and release changes tonight. I will also try and keep my accuracy.

Wish me luck

The line changes stated in the video, are typical line changes. Release changes will require placing your thumb in the ball :D

Good luck though.

Tampabaybob
02-08-2013, 07:47 AM

Wish me luck

Great video. This is a video that everyone on this site should watch. This explains many things that we often get questions on. Thanks for finding it.

ecub
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Vid actually posted by the mod...
http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/11457-Oil-Transition-The-Change-You-re-Looking-For

unclemantis
02-08-2013, 03:35 PM
I tried the adjustments last night and I stayed CONSISTENT!

Bowled a 174, 185, 166

Tampabaybob
02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
I tried the adjustments last night and I stayed CONSISTENT!

Bowled a 174, 185, 166

Way to go, consistency in this game is very important. How'd you do on your spare shots and what was your striking pattern like ? Did you leave any splits or 4 pins ?

unclemantis
02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Strike percentage 44%

Splits: 4-7-10 and 2-4-10. I didn't pick up any of those.

I did not leave the 4 pin single but I did leave the following that contained a 4 pin: 1-2-4, 2-4-5, 1-2-4-8, 4-7-10, 2-4-10

Tampabaybob
02-11-2013, 02:35 PM
So, it looks like you were getting the ball to the pocket pretty well. That's very important. The biggest concern I always tell people is to be sure you see the ball rollover your target. If you don't know "EXACTLY" where your ball is hitting the target, any move you make on the approach may not work. Accuracy in this game is extremely important. It enables you to make very fine adjustments to your game. Sounds like you're doing a good job there, good luck.

unclemantis
02-11-2013, 02:38 PM
So, it looks like you were getting the ball to the pocket pretty well. That's very important. The biggest concern I always tell people is to be sure you see the ball rollover your target. If you don't know "EXACTLY" where your ball is hitting the target, any move you make on the approach may not work. Accuracy in this game is extremely important. It enables you to make very fine adjustments to your game. Sounds like you're doing a good job there, good luck.

I have not video taped myself for a couple of weeks. My delivery has changed a bit since my finger holes have buffed out a bit since I told my proshop guy they where hurting. Also my speed has increased 1 to 2 MPH and I am doing a few new things that are GOOD. Like walking a straight line and getting the ball under my head, etc...

My spare pickups are getting better though :)

Next time I will publish a full game of my practice, I will bring the tripod and place it behind me at head level instead of on the table at that funny angle you have seen on youtube.

aussiedave
02-11-2013, 04:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obfJqa0e3i8
Very good video - knew most of it, but some of the terms like "burn" were cleared up for me.
Thanks.
ad.

Tampabaybob
02-12-2013, 08:42 AM
I have not video taped myself for a couple of weeks. My delivery has changed a bit since my finger holes have buffed out a bit since I told my proshop guy they where hurting. Also my speed has increased 1 to 2 MPH and I am doing a few new things that are GOOD. Like walking a straight line and getting the ball under my head, etc...

My spare pickups are getting better though :)

Next time I will publish a full game of my practice, I will bring the tripod and place it behind me at head level instead of on the table at that funny angle you have seen on youtube.

That's good. A good video is the best way for you, and others to pick up any bad spots in your delivery. Nop one knows what they look like and many are surprised when they see that first video of them selves. The first comment is usually, "Do I do that?" Yup, you sure do !!

unclemantis
02-13-2013, 08:55 PM
I went bowling last night but did not bring the camera.

Took me a few frames to warm up and then it took me like 2 games to find my line and then twords the end of the 3rd game I was ON FIRE!

Here are my stats.

League Stats:
League: Practice
Bowling Date: 02-12-2013

Score Ave: 165.25
Total Pins (Series): 661
High Game: 206
Total Games: 4

First Roll Average: 8.72
Most Strikes in a Row: 6

Strike Percentage: 42.9%
Total Strikes: 18
Strike Chances: 42

Spare Percentage: 33.3%
Total Spares: 8
Spare Chances: 24

Single Pin Spares %: 28.6%
Single Pin Total: 2
Single Pin Chances: 7

Multi-Pin Spares %: 35.3%
Multi-Pin Total: 6
Multi-Pin Chances: 17

Multi-Pin Non-Split %: 50.0%
Multi Non-Split Total: 6
Multi Non-Split Chances: 12

Split Conversion %: 0.0%
Splits Picked Up: 0
Splits Attempted: 5

Open Frame %: 40.0%
Open Frames: 16
Total Frames: 40

aussiedave
02-15-2013, 05:09 PM
ad.
A lot depends on ball speed too - I have noticed that bowlers who get 15 or more mph have less problems or not as severe or it takes a little longer for the problem to show up in their game. I am only around 12 - 13 mph and can't get much more than that without throwing wild shots or going to a lighter ball and dealing with the new timing. At such lower speeds the ball reacts with the lane at the slightest change in conditions so one must be well versed in adjustments.
ad.

billf
02-16-2013, 01:13 PM
OK so as usual I'm the odd one. Depends on my mood at the time. Fist adjustment is usually speed increase. If I don't want to open up the lane (move left) then I will move BOTH feet and target ball side. Most bowlers around here can't or won't play from the 1 to 5 boards so I can play way outside all by myself.

A typical night will have me moving from the 30 with an aggressive ball to the 3 with the Misfit. If the first shot after the switch doesn't look right then I will grab the Marauder. Usually by half way through the second game I'm bored with messing with other people's lines and go where they won't.

Tampabaybob
02-19-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm with Bill, and I think you'll agree this comes with experience. When all else fails, go to where "none else is shooting. You'll have the oil all to yourself and hopefully can find a shot quickly.

unclemantis
02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
I was watching XtraFrames last night with my dad and in one of the matches the telecasters said if you don't find your shot within 2 frames then you are pretty much done!

aussiedave
02-22-2013, 11:59 PM
I was watching XtraFrames last night with my dad and in one of the matches the telecasters said if you don't find your shot within 2 frames then you are pretty much done!
That might be against a very good bowler.
For me, I never stop trying to find that best line - I never quit. This has helped me become a more "knowledgeable" bowler than if I just gave up trying. To me, this kinda defeats the purpose.
ad.

unclemantis
02-23-2013, 02:55 AM
That might be against a very good bowler.
For me, I never stop trying to find that best line - I never quit. This has helped me become a more "knowledgeable" bowler than if I just gave up trying. To me, this kinda defeats the purpose.
ad.

Then again this was a match between Mika and I want to say Rash. it was back to back strikes and a fill here and there. It ended being an 11 pin difference!

billf
02-23-2013, 07:57 AM
When bowling scratch with bowlers who are averaging 230+ no matter the pattern, then yes, you had better find your line during practice. When the competition is that good one open frame is usually the difference between winning and losing. When it's exceptional then the placement of the frame that you don't strike in becomes critical.
What I mean by that is if you start spare then strike you get 20 pins in frame 1. If you make the front 7 but spare the 8th with a 9/ then that cost you over 20 pins.

unclemantis
02-25-2013, 11:08 AM
When bowling scratch with bowlers who are averaging 230+ no matter the pattern, then yes, you had better find your line during practice. When the competition is that good one open frame is usually the difference between winning and losing. When it's exceptional then the placement of the frame that you don't strike in becomes critical.
What I mean by that is if you start spare then strike you get 20 pins in frame 1. If you make the front 7 but spare the 8th with a 9/ then that cost you over 20 pins.

There was a day that I am not sure what was going on but no matter how far over to the left I got and how far out across the fith or sixth arrow, the ball would almost at once hook and head twords brooklyn.

Not sure if I needed to move over further to almost the other lane and loft the ball over the gutter or what. This was at a house that normaly I bowl the same line that you have seen me bowl in my videos. 25 over 15.

These are the days where I am like WTF and I just can't strike!

Greenday
02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
There was a day that I am not sure what was going on but no matter how far over to the left I got and how far out across the fith or sixth arrow, the ball would almost at once hook and head twords brooklyn.

Not sure if I needed to move over further to almost the other lane and loft the ball over the gutter or what. This was at a house that normaly I bowl the same line that you have seen me bowl in my videos. 25 over 15.

Sounds like a day where you just pack up your balls and say, "Screw it. I'll come back when they finally decide to oil the lanes!"

unclemantis
02-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a day where you just pack up your balls and say, "Screw it. I'll come back when they finally decide to oil the lanes!"

I sware! That is exactly the way they reacted like!

e-tank
02-25-2013, 11:42 AM
moving left usually does it for me. I havent had to pull out a weaker ball unless i wanted to thus far

20 days later this statement is now false haha. I move left a couple boards at first and if that doesnt work then ill go from HRR to too reckless then crossroad

ecub
02-25-2013, 11:55 AM

Do you ONLY practice your strikes? Strikes are easy at times, especially on a nice pattern where you have a big window. Practice picking up spares. On your first ball, shoot for the 10, then pickup the spare. Next frame, shoot for the 7, pickup the spare. Another frame, shoot to hit 3 pins down, then next ball pickup the rest.

As far as always going Brooklyn, have you tried standing in front of the ball return? I know shoot for 10 pin spares and the lanes are really dry, I often have to even stand in front, and left of the the ball return. I'm practically already standing on the lane next to me. I do so, since I hardly use a spare ball anymore.