PDA

View Full Version : Hi, All

zman1974
02-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm returning to bowling after a 13 year hiatus. I bowled in a YABA youth league for a few years where I had a great time. Tried a league back in 2000 with a co-worker, and it didn't work out too well for various reasons. A couple of weeks ago another co-worker (new job) decided he wanted to start bowling so we formed a four man team from work. It's a men's league located at an old house here in Fort Myers, Florida. I had to use a house ball for average night. Ended up with a 145. I received my ball, a DV8 Marauder, last Friday, and had it drilled this weekend. I am a stroker who likes to play up the 2nd arrow. Threw a 217 in a practice game, but tanked on our first league night. Got my average, but only managed a 475 series. Still having problems with maintaining a consistent arm swing and release. Having a blast, though, and looking forward to many years of bowling.

75lockwood
02-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the boards!

Great choice in ball lol

it will take time to get used to a finger tip ball, once you do and get the arm swing down you should have no problem getting that average way up there.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have and even post a video of yourself bowling for some tips.

scottymoney
02-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Welcome Zman!

Coming back to start bowling in a league is tough. I am doing it myself and it has been a good learning experience my first season back. Don't get down on yourself as it takes time to handle the extra little pressure people feel during league. Also remember practice and league are 2 different animals. The oil will be different in most cases and you just have to become used to playing a bit different between the 2.

zman1974
02-06-2013, 10:22 AM
I have actually thrown a fingertip ball every year except the first. Not so much getting used to that grip as getting back into the timing, staying loose, and not muscle anything.

As far as oil conditions, they appear to be fairly oily at first, but I must quickly move left by the 2nd game to hit my target. Funny thing; I finally figured that out in the 10th frame of our last game, and struck out..lol.

striker12
02-06-2013, 02:29 PM
welcome to the boards