PDA

View Full Version : Is My Span To Long (AKA The Thumbhole Experiment part 2)

Rdmonster
02-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I posted this on another website so if you guys hang out there it's the same message. Most of you who frequent this website and read my posts are familiar with my recent thumb issues. I feel I am on the cusp of getting it worked out. Read on if you aren't tired of reading about it already.

Here's my story. I was on a bowling league in college (20 years ago). Had my own ball I used through the years casually bowling after the league etc. This fall I joined a league with my golf buddies.I decided to buy a new modern reactive ball and was pleased with my new Marauder.

I bowl well with it but after about 5 or 6 weeks of using it I started to have thumb issues. When I had it drilled the pro shop simply took the measurements off my 20 year old Rhino. I've had numbness and nerve issues because my thumb just above the webbing (towards the tip) scrapes the thumbhole as it comes out. It even will leave a little black mark on the thumb insert. Using a wrist device somewhat helps but not entirely and I also get stuck in it occasionally because the thumb issue makes me grip the ball somewhat.

The reason I think that the span is to long is that when I fully insert my thumb into the ball I can barely get my fingers in the ball to the first knuckle and it's very difficult to bowl with them in even that far. I can also feel very firm pressure on my fingernails when they are in the grips. I usually have to back them out until they are barely in there when I get set up to bowl.

I won a Rotogrip Berserk online and am going to have it drilled this week. I'm not sure if I should ask them to just shorten my span or have a complete remeasure done. I'm concerned that the span that is on there (although it feels to long and something is causing problems) is measured correctly...if it is and my third ball is drilled the exact same way then the issues will continue.

My inclination is to have him measure me and then compare it to the drill sheet they have on file...if it's the same I will have them shorten the spans after I explain my dillema....if it works...I'll have them slug the thumbs on my other two balls and use the new measurements.

opinions?

J Anderson
02-10-2013, 10:51 AM
I would guess its either too long a span or the pitch of the finger holes. If your fingers aren't flexible enough it could make the span seem too long if the finger holes are drilled with 0º pitch.

Rdmonster
02-10-2013, 11:43 AM
When I support my ring and middle fingers below the first joint with my thumb I can easily bent them to very near 90 degrees. I would say flexibility is less of an issue. I only have to do that with my fingers to comfortably get my thumb all the way in the ball.

bowl1820
02-10-2013, 11:43 AM
If you think the span is too long, here's how you can check and see if it's close.

Put your thumb in the ball, relax you hand and lay for fingers across the holes.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/aloarjr810/Fit%20and%20Grip/relaxed_a.jpg

The half way point between the first and second knuckles, should be about at the edge of the finger hole's.

Your best bet would be to have your grip redone. Taking your grip from 20 years ago and using it isn't right, your grip would have changed over twenty years.

I had my grip updated just awhile back (span, pitches, did the center line transfer the whole 9 yards) made nice difference ball sets better in my hand and comes off cleaner.

Rdmonster
02-10-2013, 02:12 PM
i did the span check when I got home and it's very close but does appear to be closer to the first joint than in the middle. I'm just going to take the ball in...not even talk about my other stuff and have them measure me up.....then I will have them compare that to the drill sheet they have on record.

Rdmonster
02-11-2013, 08:18 PM
I was measured today, the pro compared it to my previous drill sheet (measured off the 20 year old ball lol), the span was shortened by 1/8th. Does that sound like much? I then went out and shot a series with a high of 210 on the Marauder(old drill). Won't get it till Thursday.... Can't wait to try it out.

Rdmonster
02-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Bump to the top.....mini update

Haven't picked up the new ball yet but did well in league.... Over my average by quite a bit with a 246 in the middle.Just missed a 600.

Used only the Marauder and the second game was clean!