PDA

View Full Version : PAP and also layout question

Keithalw
02-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Well today I bought a new ball and after buying it got a free game after throwing the ball two frames I had the pro shop guy come watch me and he got my pap for me. I am 4 1/4 over and 1/4 up. when he put the tape on the ball after measuring it out that tape just stayed perfect.

So now when I get a balled drilled just curious what does the numbers mean if I want to use a layout someone suggest like for instance AxBxC I dunno what the numbers would represent so im curious on that one... Thanks

bowl1820
02-11-2013, 07:32 AM
A AxBxC layout is most likely referring to a Dual Angle Layout. Example: 30° X 3.5" X 45°

The Dual Angle Layout Technique uses three measurements:

A-The Drilling Angle: Affects the length of the skid phase of the ball, when it goes into a roll.
example:
A 10° drilling technique will roll the soonest of all the effective drilling angles.
A 90° drilling technique will roll the latest of all the effective drilling angles.

B-The Pin to Positive Axis Point (Pin-to-PAP) distance
The Pin to PAP distance affects the percentage of the flare potential available.

C-The Vertical Axis Line (VAL) angle
The Angle to the VAL affects how quickly the ball transitions through the hook phase of the ball.

You can read more here:
DUAL_ANGLE_LAYOUT_TECHNIQUE.pdf (http://www.morichbowling.com/Education/DualAngleSeminar/DUAL_ANGLE_LAYOUT_TECHNIQUE.pdf)

Tampabaybob
02-11-2013, 07:39 AM
There are many layouts on the balls that will make the balls react differently. That said, there are also many variables involved. Here's what I always suggest. Try this new ball out on a few different oil conditions and try it using different lines (targets). See exactly what this ball/layout will give you for a reaction. In other words, is a skid/flip reaction or doe the ball start hooking early and give you an earlier roll? Then look at the other balls you have and try to determine where each ball can be used to give you the best reaction on certain lane conditions, based on how you release the ball. High average bowlers can pretty much tell you how each ball they have in their bag will react on the lane condition they're bowling on.

Your PAP will, for the most part remain fairly constant on all of your balls and usually only change if you change your release. The biggest difference between your equipment is where the pin is located in relation to the mass bias of the ball and whether you have a weight hole and also where that is located. It can get quite complicated to figure this out. There is plenty of reference material on line for you to get educated about the various drillings, weight hole locations, and RG differences, if you have the patience. Over the last several years the drilling of balls has become quite a science. Knowing what you have and what works best for you after a little trial and error is your best bet for higher scoring.

Keithalw
02-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Thank you bowl 1820 and tampabaybob

Big Nick
02-28-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm a little late to the party here, but PSA drilling specs are also described in an AxBxC measurement system, but instead of A and C being angles they're all just measurements in inches (ie 4"x4"x2"). In the PSA drilling scheme, A is the pin to PAP measurement, B is the PSA to PAP measurement, and C is the pin buffer measurement. To know which your driller is using, you'll have to ask. My driller doesn't like the dual angle system, and he says that he always feels like he's guessing the numbers. My guess is that he's used the PSA drilling system for so long that he's just more comfortable with it.

Anyway, here's a link that explains the PSA layout if anyone is interested. http://www.stormbowling.com/drill-specs/PSA_Lightning_Stikes.pdf

Tampabaybob
03-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Nick, you're on the money with that reply. Also just as a FYI.... that 4 x 4 x 2 layout is terrific if you have a pearl and you like a ball to be a skid snap ball.
Great layout.

SouthpawTRK
03-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I've been bowling for about four months and I decided to have my PAP measured. I felt that my release has improved over the past months and I was curious to know about my PAP.

While I know it's important to know what your PAP in regards to drilling future bowling balls, my concern is that my release may get better and therefore my PAP would change. I generally shoot between 130 to 150 in both practice and league; but have had high games that are over 200 (which to me shows that I'm not very consistent)

Would it be better to use a general layout until I have a better release?

I recently attended an EBI demo day and the demo balls that I tried all had the #1 layout pattern on the following link:

http://trackbowling.com/images/uploads/ball/drilling/CTNT-009_TrackDrilling_Sheet.pdf

Of all the ones that I tried, I really liked how the 706A rolled with the lay out mentioned in the link.

Thanks in advance for the help!

billf
03-06-2013, 10:43 PM
At worse, it will let you track the changes. They will probably be minimal and may shock you

SouthpawTRK
03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks Bill for the words of wisdom! I definitely agree that the worse case if my PAP changes, I can track that. I guess my concern stemmed from my obsessive compulsive disorder and the fact that a bowler's PAP in theory can slightly change every now and then (dependent upon the consistency of their throw). What I did not look at it was, that determining a PAP gives a bowler a starting point and a general idea of the axis in which the bowler is releasing the ball.

Tampabaybob
03-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Everytime you change your release your PAP should change. That's due to the ball rolling on a different area of the ball. For example if you have your hand tilted (for righties fingers at 8:00 and thumb at 2:00) you'll get a different track, than say if you changed to coming straight up behind the ball. It's important to note having the ability to change hand positions, finger placements and so on, will affect the roll of the ball for different conditions. Once you do that the PAP will change accordingly. I wouldn't worry too much about your pap, because if you do change it's the effect that the ball has on your carry that's important. Different balls with different drillings will give you different flare patterns that you can have in your arsenal for different conditions. If you bowl at multiple houses with varying patterns, it would be good to experiment a little. With the cost of balls being what they are, I always suggest to look at your local pro shop and serif they have any used balls (spelled cheap) that you could red rill and play around with.