PDA

View Full Version : What is the most demoralizing single pin leave?

I suck at bowling
02-11-2013, 09:10 AM
I vote for the 8 pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3fWgis-D9s

scottymoney
02-11-2013, 09:19 AM
That's just a lot of deflection!
a few question.......
What weight ball are you using?
Have you been adjusting during the game? That shot tells me you need to make a move to get into the pocket at a better angle.

I suck at bowling
02-11-2013, 09:36 AM
a few question.......
Have you been adjusting during the game? That shot tells me you need to make a move to get into the pocket at a better angle.

That was my first ball of the day, so no adjustments yet. By the end of the 8th game I was lofting the over the left gutter, lol.
And I use 14 pounders.

scottymoney
02-11-2013, 09:49 AM
That was my first ball of the day, so no adjustments yet. By the end of the 8th game I was lofting the over the left gutter, lol.
And I use 14 pounders.

I would suggest starting more right to begin with so you have room to move left.

Greenday
02-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Ten pin by far. It's the only one (For a righty anyway) that you can get such a solid pocket shot and still leave that pin.

americantrotter
02-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Head Pin. LOL

But other than that 10 pin.

I suck at bowling
02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I would suggest starting more right to begin with so you have room to move left.

Thats a part of my game I haven't quite figured out yet, but once I learn to play straighter I think my game will improve a lot.

75lockwood
02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I agree with the head pin LOL whats more demoralizing than not hitting the head pin?

I suck at bowling
02-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I agree with the head pin LOL whats more demoralizing than not hitting the head pin?

I was referring to pocket leaves, but I should have said that, lol.

J Anderson
02-11-2013, 10:22 AM
For right-handers its probably a toss up between a ringing ten pin and a stone eight. Either one of these will look like it should be a strike as the ball enters the pocket. Since the flat ten is usually considered as being cause by hitting too light my vote is for the eight.

Not that we should really let a nine drop demoralize us, leaving a single pin when we've thought that we made a good shot is going to cause some sort of emotional reaction. The trick is to deal with that emotion while the ball is coming back, and then be completely focused on making the spare. By the way I think this is much easier for those of us who started bowling before the "Strike in a Box" era.

I suck at bowling
02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
For right-handers its probably a toss up between a ringing ten pin and a stone eight. Either one of these will look like it should be a strike as the ball enters the pocket. Since the flat ten is usually considered as being cause by hitting too light my vote is for the eight.

Not that we should really let a nine drop demoralize us, leaving a single pin when we've thought that we made a good shot is going to cause some sort of emotional reaction. The trick is to deal with that emotion while the ball is coming back, and then be completely focused on making the spare. By the way I think this is much easier for those of us who started bowling before the "Strike in a Box" era.

Normally I can tell when I'm gonna leave a ringing ten. It happens when I miss right of target, so I come in with too much angle. Stone 8s are just awful.

I agree with you on the strike in a box thing, though I am a part of that generation, lol.

Perrin
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Close one between the 9 and 10 pins for me.

I can almost always get the 9 so I voted 10 :) my percentage isn't bad on 10's but worse than for 9's

v33dubfox
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I don't think that a ringing 10 or 7 is a "steal". It is always the same, not enough high on the 1st pin, so that the 3-6 pin don't do their job.

I suck at bowling
02-11-2013, 01:42 PM
I don't think that a ringing 10 or 7 is a "steal". It is always the same, not enough high on the 1st pin, so that the 3-6 pin don't do their job.

Yes, but it appears to be a strike. Therefor when you see the 10 or the 7 standing, it feels like you are robbed.

noeymc
02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
throwing 3-4 strikes in a row then leaving a solid ten always sucks

Flyer41
02-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Defiantly a 9-in the pit 8 pin is the worst for me. Those are just plain mean.

panbanger
02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
I vote for the 10 pins because it's so common compared to the others.

jbeck
02-11-2013, 06:59 PM
8 or 9s for me. I had a couple over the weekend and today...just enough to **** you off!

Rdmonster
02-11-2013, 08:43 PM
10 pin

JaMau24
02-12-2013, 12:17 AM
8 pin for sure. While it's extremely easy to pick up, it is a real blow to the gut when you leave one (a perfect flush 8 pin). Takes the wind out of you for a second, lol.

Mike White
02-12-2013, 12:48 AM
I guess we have a different definition of demoralize.

With a (RH) 4, 7, 8, 9 or 10 pin leave on a pocket shot, you can feel pretty good that you threw the ball well, and if you repeat close to the same shot, you are likely to carry the next time.

So for me it's the 5 pin. It's like the pins scream "You Suck, and if you throw it like that again, you're still gonna suck."

Mike White
02-12-2013, 12:54 AM
a few question.......

A lot of deflection? Someone schedule an eye exam for Scott.

The only thing I saw wrong about that shot was the violent head bob at the point of release.

noeymc
02-12-2013, 01:04 AM

With a (RH) 4, 7, 8, 9 or 10 pin leave on a pocket shot, you can feel pretty good that you threw the ball well, and if you repeat close to the same shot, you are likely to carry the next time.

So for me it's the 5 pin. It's like the pins scream "You Suck, and if you throw it like that again, you're still gonna suck."

no drive no 5 =D

The German Shepherd
02-12-2013, 07:18 AM
I answered the 8 pin but I would think that your 5th 10 pin in a single game would work....

Jay

I suck at bowling
02-12-2013, 08:06 AM
A lot of deflection? Someone schedule an eye exam for Scott.

The only thing I saw wrong about that shot was the violent head bob at the point of release.

I'm working on that, lol.

It is really hard to break a bad habit that I have been doing for years.

Loyer807
02-12-2013, 08:20 AM
The most demoralizing for me is the 9, I get a sick to my stomach feeling every time I leave it.
The most annoying is 10 or 9, just cause it always seems like a perfect strike every time I leave one and they are easyish pick ups.

J Anderson
02-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Of course we have different definitions, you're in California with a crazy homicidal maniac and I'm in Connecticut watching the snow melt.

Seriously, if we all thought the same there would be no point to this poll and the thread would have died out after a few responses.

I'm seeing three basic ways of looking at this. One is that the worst is when you make an excellent shot and get tapped. Two is that you leave the 7 or the 10 pin and you're bummed because you only make that leave 50% of the time or less. The third and equally valid way is that you threw a bad ball, either missing the head pin ( yet amazingly carrying everything else ) or deflect off the head pin and leave the 5, leaving you to think maybe you should take up golf.

I suck at bowling
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM

Demoralize: to cause (someone) to lose confidence or hope; dispirit.

After I left that stone 8, I felt like every time I hit the pocket, there would be something standing. I was demoralized.

unclemantis
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
The head pin!!!!!! Omg what a SLAP in the face!

Mike White
02-12-2013, 12:07 PM
The head pin!!!!!! Omg what a also in the face!

How bad did you spell the word "SLAP" for it to be autocorrected to the word "ALSO" ?

eugene02
02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
8th pin of course. Shooting in the pocket but that stone stays.. damn...

unclemantis
02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
How bad did you spell the word "SLAP" for it to be autocorrected to the word "ALSO" ?

Ya. Just now corrected it LOL

I suck at bowling
02-12-2013, 04:36 PM
8th pin of course. Shooting in the pocket but that stone stays.. damn...

It is the last thing you expect to be standing when you hit the pocket, lol

I suck at bowling
02-13-2013, 11:28 AM
I answered the 8 pin but I would think that your 5th 10 pin in a single game would work....

Jay

I think the most 10 pins I've had in a single game is 6-7.

I had no carry, at all.

Mike White
02-13-2013, 02:31 PM
I think the most 10 pins I've had in a single game is 6-7.

I had no carry, at all.

I left 16 ten pins in a 3 game series back in August, that was the night I hurt my arm. Just trying for a bit more roll.

I suck at bowling
02-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I left 16 ten pins in a 3 game series back in August, that was the night I hurt my arm. Just trying for a bit more roll.

That must have sucked, most of the time carry issues are one game things for me, but on occasion they will haunt me for 4-5 games in a set.

Mike White
02-13-2013, 04:03 PM
That must have sucked, most of the time carry issues are one game things for me, but on occasion they will haunt me for 4-5 games in a set.

This was when I only had the White Dot.

The next day I went out and bought a Hammer Midnight Vibe thinking I could get a little more back end. But when I tried to use the Hammer, I found that my arm was dead.

e-tank
02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
as of practice today, 10 pin. I have no problem picking it up but i can lay down a good strike shot and boom stone 10 remains

unclemantis
02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
as of practice today, 10 pin. I have no problem picking it up but i can lay down a good strike shot and boom stone 10 remains

Looking at my stats. 10 pin is the most frequent followed by the 7.

Mike White
02-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Yo Isab, you wouldn't happen to have a long lost twin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZszYx3AI2Bw

SmilingBowler
02-14-2013, 04:20 PM
8 pin.. you can have an absolute pocket strike send every pin for the walls but that 8 pin will stand there, smirking at you. That's demoralizing. Especially when you've strung 6+ and you're pushing for a new lifetime high.

Best thing to do when that happens is throw the same line, same speed. You'll pick up the 8 and keep your line and confidence up.

I suck at bowling
02-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Yo Isab, you wouldn't happen to have a long lost twin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZszYx3AI2Bw

Wow. The resemblance is uncanny!

aussiedave
02-15-2013, 05:15 PM
a few question.......
I use a 15 pounder and can still leave that stone 8. More recently, I have left a couple of 9's which were just as well placed in the pocket. You can watch a video on the stone 8 and you can see how the 5 spin wraps around it. Must check out the 9 to see what happens with it.
ad.

Hammer
02-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Being a lefty I hate those nasty ol' 7 pins on a pocket hit. I have had games where I swear I had six 7 pin leaves in one game. Leaving the 7 for me usually means that I am coming in too light with a shallow angle into the pocket. Sometimes I can correct it with a half board move with my feet. It makes me clench my jaws because the ball looked so good going down the lane with a nice arc to the pocket
and then BAM. At which time I say to myself you got to be kidding me! Actually I cleaned that up a little. Usually an F-BOMB comes sailing out of my mouth before the word kidding. LOL.

I suck at bowling
02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Being a lefty I hate those nasty ol' 7 pins on a pocket hit. I have had games where I swear I had six 7 pin leaves in one game. Leaving the 7 for me usually means that I am coming in too light with a shallow angle into the pocket. Sometimes I can correct it with a half board move with my feet. It makes me clench my jaws because the ball looked so good going down the lane with a nice arc to the pocket
and then BAM. At which time I say to myself you got to be kidding me! Actually I cleaned that up a little. Usually an F-BOMB comes sailing out of my mouth before the word kidding. LOL.

When I leave a 10 pin (I'm a righty). I usually take a small step backwards on my approach. This lets my ball get in a roll a little bit quicker, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

unclemantis
02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
When I leave a 10 pin (I'm a righty). I usually take a small step backwards on my approach. This lets my ball get in a roll a little bit quicker, but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I never did understand how stepping backwards does anything.

hey Bill! or Bowl, can you answer this question?

I suck at bowling
02-28-2013, 08:28 PM

-__-

dude. I explained why in my post.

unclemantis
02-28-2013, 08:36 PM
-__-

dude. I explained why in my post.

I need details of WHY it works!

MAN!

:-P

J Anderson
03-01-2013, 04:00 PM

The reason it works, when it works, is that by starting farther back from the line and taking your normal approach, you will stop a little farther from the line and your ball will touch down on the lane an equal distance closer to the foul line. This means your ball is in contact with the lane longer and instead of leaving the weak ten, the ball should now hit dead flush.

billf
03-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Easily the 8 pin. Followed closely by the 9 pin. A perfect shot with the wrong ball will look awesome and leave one or the other of these. 10 pins **** me off but only because I know it was me that caused it.

Gunz1911
03-06-2013, 10:46 AM
I really wish I had a way to video tape it, But the worst for me was hitting a good strike. Then having the 10 win wobble all the way over and stop betwen the 7-8 pin and stay straight up. So now me and the 10 pin are arch enemies.

YODA
03-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Head Pin for sure, but other than that the "7"Pin for me.. I can spare the 10 pin easy, but cant even count the number of times I have failed to pick up a lonely 7 pin:(

aussiedave
03-06-2013, 07:37 PM
I vote for the 8 pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3fWgis-D9s
Depends on the frequency of a particular pin too - for instance, I voted for the 8 pin, but how many of those do you leave in a night compared to 10's? How many times does a ringing 10 break a sequence of strikes or prevent you from getting a string going? Now that's frustrating...
Only last night I had 7 or 8 of the blighters and could quite easily have had a strong 600+ series instead of just scraping into the 500's. Very frustrating.
ad.