PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pattern Terminology

Greenday
02-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Last weekend, I asked the guy oiling the lanes at my practice alley what pattern they lay down. He told me that they have a 35' pattern that they buff out to 38'. To me, this means they lay down a 35' THS, then smear the end of the pattern to 38'? I don't know. Do I treat it like a 35' pattern or a 38'? For some reason, I always do better playing the inside because my ball will hold a lot longer. If I throw from the outside, it hooks way too early. It's very confusing to me.

austin
02-11-2013, 07:23 PM
On the oil machines they have a buffer brush which puts the oil on the lanes. With the pattern the, buff distance is total length of the pattern. The other number being 35 in this instance is the last distance that oil is applied to the brush. So the buff out length is just using whatever oil is still left on the brush. As with most THS patterns there is a lot more oil in the middle portion of the lane so the ball will turn a lot more from the outside of the lane compared to the middle portion.

rand
02-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Is there a newbie oil terminoligy thread that explains all of the terms used on here? just so Im not confused or guessing.

GeoLes
02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Very useful info Thanks