PDA

View Full Version : Pro Shop Markup

backlasher
02-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Dexter SST I shoes are $90 on the internet and $120 at my pro shop. That seems like a big markup for the same shoe. Why is there so much difference?

75lockwood
02-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Online prices are very close to what a pro shop would pay, that $30 markup includes shipping cost and profit, and if you think about it, it makes sense, a website like bowlingball.com makes a lot more sales than bob's backwoods proshop, and the proshop has to pay for rent, employee time, etc. They need to do this and still hope to pocket some profit, so selling very cheap isn't feasible without the massive sales numbers.

Online sells in bulk so can afford to keep prices lower.

SouthpawTRK
02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Dexter SST I shoes are $90 on the internet and $120 at my pro shop. That seems like a big markup for the same shoe. Why is there so much difference?

Almost any authorized dealer that sells retail goods; whether it's at a brick and mortar or online; can sell product at two different prices.

On the one hand, they can sell it at MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) which is the lowest advertised price they can sell the item at; dealers are contractually obligated to not sell below MAP. The other hand, they can sell it at MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) which is much higher than MAP.

I don't work in the bowling industry, but I have worked in a wide array of retail and online establishments for a good chunk of my life. For example, a particular golf ball company has their dealers sell their golf balls at $47.99 (MAP), but has a MSRP of $58.00. Sometimes, a small pro shop/specialized shop will sell them at the MSRP to make better margins since they do not sell as much as a big box and/or online store.

They also may sell them at MSRP since they may not qualify for volume discounting when procuring items. Lastly, they may sell them at MSRP so that if a person is looking for a discount; so the golf balls could be sold for a small discount (as long as the discount does not create a price that is lower than MAP).

Zothen
02-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Most businesses will mark up their product by 30%-40% to cover shipping and profability.

Zothen

v33dubfox
02-12-2013, 05:55 PM
What is the price in the USA for a fully drilled bowling ball with thumb slug and finger inserts? Let's say as an example a Nexxxus or Sync (high performance ball)...

The German Shepherd
02-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Most businesses will mark up their product by 30%-40% to cover shipping and profability.

Zothen

Actually most use a simple method called "Keystoning." This means a flat 50% markup. The guy I get my equipment does not mark his bowling equipment up that far...

jay

Zothen
02-12-2013, 11:56 PM
@v33dubfox-$210-$220+tax depending where you go and this price includes drilling,inserts & thumb slug(California prices vary). Some states will be more or less then other states. Also some will include drilling,inserts & thumb slug while other shops will charge seperately for drilling,insert and thumb slug.

Zothen

eugene02
02-13-2013, 12:06 AM
What is the price in the USA for a fully drilled bowling ball with thumb slug and finger inserts? Let's say as an example a Nexxxus or Sync (high performance ball)...

in US it'll be cheaper.. in Singapore, that would cost probably about $300 Singapore Dollars Minimum..

v33dubfox
02-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Ok. I would pay 300$ including taxes here.

Greenday
02-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Cost me ~$220 for the combined price of buying the Sync online and getting it drilled by my pro shop guy, with tips and slug. (Comes out to 272.36 SGD)

e-tank
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
My driller marks his balls with the price online + cost of drilling so for example a lucid is 150 online and he charges 60 for fingertip drilling so he'll sell a lucid for 210 in store. So pretty much if he has balls in store that i want ill just go there instead of buying online. The only thing he really over prices on is SST 8's

DanielMareina
02-13-2013, 11:21 AM
The cost people choose to sell things at in completely up to them. I sell my products for what I think they are worth. As an example, the Storm Vivid has a MSRP of around $270. I sell it to league bowlers for $200. There are two things to remember about the pricing; If the pro shop is run by someone renting the space, they have to charge more to make their rent payments and still have profit, and most pro shops give discounts to league bowlers. If the pro shop labels the MSRP on the ball, and then gives 15% off to league bowlers (like I do), it then leaves you with a profit of a good margain. Part of this profit can be looked at like interest. The pro shop had to keep that ball in inventory until someone bought it. Money up front means that a little more profit is necessary. Plus, he/she is there to answer questions and point you in the right direction on what ball will work the best. Also worth some money to pay them for their expertise
I understand paying more money for something isn't what anyone wants to do, but know that you are supporting a local business. It is like buying organic vegetables, you pay more, but you are supporting a local farmer. Don't forget, you can always tell your pro shop person, "I found it online for $150 and you drill online stuff for $75, how about you sell me that same ball for $225 and we will cut out the internet." Most pro shop people will take that offer.

mxjosh
02-20-2013, 05:49 PM
I use 2 different pro shops. Shop 1 prices the balls $5-10 more than ordering online. So I buy there most of the time. Shop 2 charges $25-35 over internet prices and have the new stuff sooner but usually discounts me $10-20 because I am a regular there. However shop 2 charges $190 for SST8's which is waaay over internet. So I purchased sst8's for $20 over internet at Shop 1 and paid $150 total. neither shop charges tax for equipment or labor.

Shop 2 gives large discounts to League bowlers. An example: I paid $145 total for a Brunswick Aura a month ago thru my league. that same ball is sold for $230 in the pro shop.

I really dont like paying more than $210 for a ball. and will buy from wherever to keep that cap.

DanielMareina
02-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Just FYI, The MSRP on SST8s is $229.95. Shoes and bags is where the internet really kills a brick and mortar pro shop. I can justify buying from me with bowling balls, because I can watch you bowl, see your equipment, and give you advice. With shoes and bags, it is not necessary to ask for advice most of the time. I do match any online price because it still makes a whopping profit of about $5, and that is better than nothing. Most people buy a bag and shoes maybe once every 2-3 years, so $5 profit will not sustain a shop for very long. If money is tight for people, I understand, but if you have a little extra, try and buy from your local businesses. Buying products made in the United States like Storm, Roto Grip, Ebonite, Columbia, Hammer, Track, Motiv, and I am sure there are a couple more instead of Brunswick that moved their factory to Mexico helps our economy. Buying from a local pro shop instead of a giant online retailer helps keep people like me in the business. Don't let the Walmarts of the world take over everything.