PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions on my next ball

Bendial
02-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi Guys,

I currently throw a DV8 Misfit, and while I love the ball, I find myself oddly attracted to Storm balls (I guess their marketing department is working well). Maybe its the scents, the way they look, I don't know I just like them lol. What would be the next logical step up from a Misfit? I'd like something not too aggressive.

Thinking about a Hy-Road, Frantic, or Manic.

J Anderson
02-13-2013, 11:39 PM
I would go with the Hy-Road.

Zothen
02-14-2013, 02:43 AM
Frantic,Hy-Road or !Q Pearl

Zothen

Greenday
02-14-2013, 09:50 AM
How less aggressive do you want? I can be rather aggressive with my Tropical Breeze when it's lighter oil. It's got a decently strong core for a light oil ball.

For medium oil, Frantic, Fringe, Hy-Road.

Hammer
02-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Brunswick Slingshot, Storm Crossroads and Tropical Breeze Hybrid.

ecub
02-14-2013, 10:23 AM
I like getting the most aggressive ball on the line then drill it down. At a later point, you can always plug/re-drill the same ball back to an aggressive ball again. You can drill an aggressive ball to be similar to a medium aggressive ball, just not the other way around.

e-tank
02-14-2013, 01:21 PM
I recommend the crossroad. Very versatile

zemeckis
02-14-2013, 05:24 PM
I recommend the Fire Road i love trowing mine and u can get the drilling the way u like.

eugene02
02-15-2013, 07:42 AM
i would say either the Hy-Road, Fire Road or Crossroad. if it's a DV8 ball.. maybe the DV8 Marauder!

noeymc
02-15-2013, 10:55 AM
hy road built a good name for it self storm owns roto grip check out there shatter its prob the best bowling ball i ve seen in a while

DanielMareina
02-15-2013, 11:14 AM
It really depends on the reaction you want. Since you have a misfit which is pearlised, I would not choose the fringe. The manic has a similiar diff., but the core is sets up earlier than the misfit, and the coverstock is solid instead of pearlised. The Hy-road is a hybrid coverstock with a polish. It has a higher differential, so you will get a little more angle at the end of the lane. The hybrid coverstock will read the lane a touch sooner than your misfit, and is much more adjustable. I sanded one of my Hy-Roads down to 1000 grit and loved it, and polished the hell of it for drier conditions and loved that too. All of that said, The Hy-road is the first ball I ever loved enough to get a second one, and even ended up with a third. The Strikeingly (pun intended) similiar Cross Road I have two of. So out of the three, I would say the Hy-Road is safest bet.

Bendial
03-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I mostly play on medium/dry oil do you think that the hy-road is still a good choice? What would you describe a typical league night oil pattern, medium?

Bendial
03-06-2013, 12:45 PM
I should note too that my average is only like 110 and I'm still learning to throw a hook lol. I just don't really like the misfit

e-tank
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
does it hook too much for you? Since youre still learning id drop down to a tropical breeze or tropical heat

Bendial
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM
It doesn't really hook at all even when I put spin on it...the only way I can get it to hook hard is thumb out but then I have no accuracy.

e-tank
03-06-2013, 01:02 PM
are you spinning it like a top?

Bendial
03-06-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't think so, usually up the side/back kind of inbetween. maybe i'm throwing it too hard though so it doesn't really have time to grip the lane? I don't know.

e-tank
03-06-2013, 01:08 PM
your speed might be too much for your rev rate since you said with two fingers you can get a hook out of it. With that being said a ball isnt going to fix this. What i would do is post a video of yourself bowling and have one of the members here smarter than myself critique you

YODA
03-06-2013, 02:59 PM
your speed might be too much for your rev rate since you said with two fingers you can get a hook out of it. With that being said a ball isnt going to fix this. What i would do is post a video of yourself bowling and have one of the members here smarter than myself critique you

I agree with this.. Although I prefer Storm balls, the Misfit is a good ball. With your low average, buying another ball isnt going to help that much. If you are trying to get it to hook, we would need to see you bowl to see what some of the problems you may be having are. You said you can hook it without thumb, but you lose accuracy. Sounds like your release and timing are off, and that you may not be getting enough revs in the throw for the ball to break when it gets through the oil. As said above, a new ball wont fix it.

explorer05
03-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Even though Storm owns Roto Grip I light Roto Grip better for me. I have a Frantic and the ball moves but it is way to lane specific for me. I am not a good with skid flip equipment. I will break down my arsenal.

Critical Theory best ball I have ever thrown and can be used on a ton of patterns and can carry from mutiple angles (getting a second one because they are discontinued the Disturbed is it's replacement getting one of those to. This is a smooth roller al the way through. Medium to Heavy

Berserk WOW!!! this ball moves and hits like a tank. This ball is more angular then the Critical and less aggressive but when I get lined up right with this ball, it is
amazing. Medium

Bendial
03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Good feedback, thanks guys. I'll stick with my Misfit until I get my average up. I think by then I'll have a abetter idea of what I really want. My next ball I'll be getting for free in a few weeks from my 10for10 league so I'll have a plastic spare ball lying around for those straight shots :).

Hammer
03-15-2013, 12:41 PM
If you are trying to hook the ball you must keep your wrist straight or a little cupped and make sure on the downswing your wrist doesn't break back. Also keep your hand behind the ball facing the pins until you reach your slide foot ankle and then let your hand turn a little to the inside. Very important is to not let your fingertips straighten to get the ball to leave your hand. Keep them bent at the angle you put them into the ball and let the balls weight and gravity pull it off your fingertips. That is what puts spin on the ball and not trying to make your hand go around the ball like you are trying to spin a top. If you do this right your ball will be rotating at a 45 degree
angle to the pins as it skids in the first part of the alley. In the middle part of the alley the ball will slow down a little and start to hook. When it reaches the last part of the alley right before the pins it should go into a roll towards the pocket if you are adjusted right.