PDA

View Full Version : Measuring REV Rate

SmilingBowler
02-17-2013, 01:21 AM
I see a number of your signature lines show your rev rate (revolutions from the time the ball leaves your hand to the time it reaches the headpin) and I'm wondering how you measure it. At the lanes where I bowl, it gives us the speed. I throw between 14-17 depending on lane condition but I've never really counted revolutions.

Is there a simple way to do this? I imagine I can try to watch my fingertip grips, but without video I can't say this will be an accurate estimate. Maybe I just need to ask someone to record me bowling during practice. Any other ideas to estimate rev rate?

ecub
02-17-2013, 02:54 AM
Put a piece of tape above the finger, going towards the PAP. Record your release and count the revs from release to the time it hits the pins. Here's a video to calculate the RPM's (starting at 3:54)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicFPNb0YHw&list=PLD97720759BA5CE8A&index=30

SmilingBowler
02-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Great help there ecub. Thank you!
I'll speak to my friends at the Pro Shop and bring my iPad for the practice session next Sunday.

Perrin
02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
I used the methods in that video and used the coachmyvideo app on an Iphone to get the measurements for me

The app lets you do frame by frame to get the timing and to count the revs as the ball goes down the lane.

SmilingBowler
02-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Very cool... I'll look for the app.

noeymc
02-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Put a piece of tape above the finger, going towards the PAP. Record your release and count the revs from release to the time it hits the pins. Here's a video to calculate the RPM's (starting at 3:54)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicFPNb0YHw&list=PLD97720759BA5CE8A&index=30

this is def the best video learn from great post!

SmilingBowler
03-18-2013, 12:19 AM
I look forward to doing this come Sunday. We didn't practice this week (Dad was under the weather) but we have both talked about applying this method the next time we get a practice session in. Thanks for your tips. I have the CoachMYVideo App now and look forward to putting it to the test. (: .)

mxjosh
03-18-2013, 02:22 AM
I went to an Ebonite demo day and the pro shop owner had a computer doing the measuring through video. Never tried to do it on my own.

SmilingBowler
03-18-2013, 02:34 AM
That's cool. I could've had that done at our Ebonite International Demo Day back in November. A bunch of other folks were already registered with the guy conducting the study (or whatever you want to call it) of those interested. I'll be going back if they have a second one, which they may do. They had two back in 2009 and the Pro Shop guys have all be talking about organizing another after the success of the one in November.

mxjosh
03-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Definitely do that. I waited about 2hrs before getting my name called but I was bowling the whole time so it wasn't too bad.

ecub
03-18-2013, 12:52 PM
I rather do it on my own. My rev rate differs from the very first ball I throw until the 3rd game. I HAVE to keep telling myself to slow it down.