PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 roller?

maximumslinky
02-17-2013, 06:19 PM
recently i have changed my grip and release a little with a bit more of a cupped wriest and pinky super close to ring finger with index finger way out. after i made this change my oil track is much closer to my thumb hole and sometimes it is a little over my thumb hole. does this mean my hand is coming up the back of the ball too much? what can i do to correct this and move away from a full roller to a 3/4 roller?

Tampabaybob
02-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Start your thumb out at approximately a 2:00 position and se if that moves your track lower, away from the finger and thumb holes. The outer thing you can try also, is to move your wrist (under the ball). As you look at your hand from the straight under the ball with your thumb at 2:00, bend your wrist left, so your fingers are now more to the left side of the ball. This should lower your roll axis even more and should show you a different (better) pin action on the deck. Try it and let us know if it helped.

noeymc
02-17-2013, 10:48 PM
agree with bob another way to change it is point a finger at your target index middle ring pinky =D

Tampabaybob
02-17-2013, 11:02 PM
INDEX finger works best.

noeymc
02-17-2013, 11:10 PM
right but not always sometimes u need more or just a little les =D

maximumslinky
02-17-2013, 11:24 PM
i point my index finger straight forward. i feel like my thumb is pretty close to 2 o'clock. im thinking my problem is not in how im holding my hand/wrist on the approach but in my release. i am going to try to focus on getting my thumb to come out of my ball at the bottom of my swing (i feel like it comes out a little late)

Tampabaybob
02-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Take notice of the position of your thumb AFTER you release the ball. If your thumb is pointing toward 9 o'clock or lower, then yes, you are turning the ball too soon. Your thumb should be comic up fairly straight to the ceiling, no lower than 11:00 o'clock. See where that gets you. Your "perfect" release would be your thumb (remaining in the same position that it started in) starting to come out of the ball just as your hand is coming behind your slide foot. You rotate the ball with wrist and finger action ONLY. That will give you the best rotating/rolling ball you can get. Your revolutions will depend on how quickly you can turn it at the point of release.

maximumslinky
02-18-2013, 10:37 AM
thanks for the help. i wont be able to try this until league tomorrow. i will let you know how it works out.

GeoLes
02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Ditto in index finger thing. When I need more early roll, I cup and sometimes find myself releasing the ball sideways (wrist outside/ball inside), often striking my leg on the way forward. Index finger forward fixes that. I also use the index finger forward at my mark for my flat ball. It just rolls off the first too fingers .

Tampabaybob
02-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Ditto in index finger thing. When I need more early roll, I cup and sometimes find myself releasing the ball sideways (wrist outside/ball inside), often striking my leg on the way forward. Index finger forward fixes that. I also use the index finger forward at my mark for my flat ball. It just rolls off the first too fingers .

Yeah, it's amazing how much of a difference, small changes with your hand position and fingers can make. And it will make a difference on the roll of the ball, and the resulting pin action. Once in a while I've used extra pressure on my ring finger while relaxing my middle finger. It got me some high scores but my fingers paid the price after a few weeks. Stopped doing that because of the pain involved.

maximumslinky
02-21-2013, 12:32 AM
didnt bowl tuesday. i got sent out of town for work. hopefully i will be in town so i can better my release on friday night league and throw my new BRUTAL NIGHTMARE!!!

maximumslinky
02-23-2013, 06:03 PM
i bowled last night with the new improved release and bowled about average. my ball didnt move more boards like i thought it would. my oil track was away from my thumb hole, my rev rate was up but my ball wasnt moving anymore but after paying attention to the 2 guys we were bowling against with averages around 210 they slowed their ball speed way down. there was a ton of oil and it seems like the oil was very long.

today i went to the lanes closer to home to practice and it was a world of difference. these are older wood lanes but man my ball was making a big move. my misfit was moving about 6-7 boards more than it used to and my hellraiser revenge was to strong to use on these lanes. im am now actually able to make a big move inside and really open up the lane. i have always had to play up 1st or 2nd arrow because of my lower rev rate. i just cant believe the ridiculous pin action i am getting now. i can miss my mark right and come into the pocket late but there is always a messenger to take out the 4 when it was still standing.

billf
02-23-2013, 09:21 PM
A lot of my struggles can usually be traced back to me NOT keeping my index finger orientated as needed. Brain farts can really screw up a game.
Glad to see that this change has worked as well for you as it has for most.

maximumslinky
02-24-2013, 05:22 PM
just bums me out that i havent recieved my brutal nightmare yet. they drilled it wednesday and were supposed to ship it thursday so i could have it to use friday but it is now sunday and it is still sitting on their counter. i will be lucky if i have it in time for tuesday night league.

Gunz1911
03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Not to steal your thread, but for the index finger trick. Do you bend it and have the tip of your finger pressing into the ball, Or just lay it along the ball and add pressure.

Also I Normally break my wrist and come over the top of the ball, I just got a Brunswich Powerkoil to try and help me fix my wrist, but as I am coming forward and my hand/ball are passing my pushoff foot, Do I basically do:

1. Slow my arm slightly so momentum keeps the ball going forward
2. Ball keeps going forward and thumb comes out first
3. Rotate wrist and fingers slightly and come up in hand shaking position.

I always feel like I an "whipping" the ball down the lane, but this might also be because my ball is too light at 13LBS. I have a new 15LB Ball, but I want to get better at my delivery before I get it drilled. Is that dumb of me? I just don't want to get it drilled for something that won't be as good for me and have to fix it later.

Tampabaybob
03-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Not to steal your thread, but for the index finger trick. Do you bend it and have the tip of your finger pressing into the ball, Or just lay it along the ball and add pressure.

Also I Normally break my wrist and come over the top of the ball, I just got a Brunswich Powerkoil to try and help me fix my wrist, but as I am coming forward and my hand/ball are passing my pushoff foot, Do I basically do:

1. Slow my arm slightly so momentum keeps the ball going forward
2. Ball keeps going forward and thumb comes out first
3. Rotate wrist and fingers slightly and come up in hand shaking position.

I always feel like I an "whipping" the ball down the lane, but this might also be because my ball is too light at 13LBS. I have a new 15LB Ball, but I want to get better at my delivery before I get it drilled. Is that dumb of me? I just don't want to get it drilled for something that won't be as good for me and have to fix it later.

Gunz...... When pressing your index finger on the ball, just slightly press the tip to the ball.

Let me offer a few other tips:
1. you don't want to come over the top of the ball. When you swing your arm, you "ALWAYS" want to eke the inside of your elbow facing the pins.
2. When you release the ball, notice where your thumb is pointing....it should be straight up or at least near 12:00.
3. Gravity.....that's the motion you want your arm to exert. Try not to force the ball or Muscle the ball. The only muscle if any you want to use is at the "explosion point", which is that micro second as you feel your thumb coming out of the ball. That's when you're going to rotate your wrist and turn the ball using just your fingers, not your thumb.

Your 3 points above are right on. Practice slowing down if you're "whipping" the ball. And by the way, yes 13 Lbs is way too light. stay with the 15 pounder as the extra weight will help stabilize your arm swing. Let us know how you make out and if you have any questions. Also, start a new thread for your questions. Good luck.

Fishhawk
03-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Incredible tips! This is precisely my problem as well. Never read or heard it explained this well, and this info "clicks" the lightbulb on. Coming over the ball is something I'm trying to eliminate and haven't been able to get proper revs due to my terrible release. This gives new things to practice and improve.

Tampabaybob
03-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Incredible tips! This is precisely my problem as well. Never read or heard it explained this well, and this info "clicks" the lightbulb on. Coming over the ball is something I'm trying to eliminate and haven't been able to get proper revs due to my terrible release. This gives new things to practice and improve.

You would be surprised how many people do not keep the inside of their elbow facing the pins, and then wonder why they go over the top of the ball. You also want to be sure that your wrist and forearm are straight and the wrist does not bend backwards at your point of release. If it is strap a wrist guard on to keep it straight. good luck.