PDA

View Full Version : Why don't more people use spare balls?

ghoul31
02-22-2013, 07:01 AM
I was at the bowling alley yesterday, And I was watching this 2 handed bowler. He had a super gigantic hook. But he was so wild, he rarely got strikes.

And watching him shoot at spares on the right side of the lane was hilarious. I saw him shoot at at 6,10 and he didn't come close to either pin.

Its like he thinks that the point of the game is that whoever has the biggest hook wins, and that score doesn't matter.

That was one guy that certainly could have used a spare ball. Or he could have used 1 hand and broke his wrist on his spare shots.

ecub
02-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I know the feeling. When people first start out bowling, all they want is the big hook. So they learn to bowl 1 handed. The hook looks "cool" until they try to pickup their spares. For me, I'm a tweener and I throw a hook, though not a big one, for strikes, but I can use the same ball for spares. I use a wrist device and have a weak wrist, so I can't remove it and break my wrist down for spares. All I do is just compensate for the hook and to increase the ball speed to pick up my spares. I'm been successful picking up 10s and sometimes 6,7,10's.

Greenday
02-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Without a spare ball, I'm sure my average would drop at least ten pins. On medium or heavier oil, I can throw any of my balls cross-lane and hit the ten pin. It's just a matter of killing the hook. I've done it with my Sync. Just now I've developed a system that works for me to pick up pins on the left side with my spare ball.

I think for some people who are more casual bowlers, it's not a big deal to them if they miss a spare here and there. It's a must have for anyone getting serious about bowling. But let's be realistic for a second, if you are bowling on a THS, picking up the left side spares is just a matter of throwing slower and letting the ball do its thing. So most people don't really need a spare ball for that. But if you bowl on a sports shot, having a spare ball is a must. You can't rely on your ball's hook to save you anymore.

swingset
02-22-2013, 09:25 AM
My spare shooting has become much more consistent and accurate since I abandoned using a hooking ball for spares. Except for THS left-side spares, I use the plastic...even at 7's. Knowing all I have to do is lay it on the right arrow takes 100% of the guesswork and mental game out of my spares, and that confidence means less misses.

e-tank
02-22-2013, 10:23 AM
I think its just a matter of practice. Maybe the bowler was just getting into two handed? I can roll some pretty good games two handed but picking up a 10 two handed is a no go for me

CeKnauss
02-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Around my area, there are many people, young and old alike, who believe purchasing a separate spare ball is a waste of money because they could just use a house ball or they claim they can adequately throw their strike ball straight enough. Unfortunately, reactive balls still hook for them. They just make themselves think it doesn't.

maximumslinky
02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
i honestly probably need a spare ball for shooting at the 10 but that would mean i would need a bigger bag. i have been limiting myself to a 2 ball bowling bag because i live on the second floor of an appartment building and carrying more weight sucks. i have 4 "strike" balls and have to make a decision on which to bring based on which lanes i will be bowling on. i sure hope i can buy a house soon haha.

barcar
02-22-2013, 11:38 AM
I had to buy a spare ball just for the right side spares, as 10 pins were an adventure.
It sure has increased my made percentage, as was stated hit the correct arrow and let it go.

Kobra167
02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
To be honest, they just dont know any better or are in denial. They get too fasinated with the big hook and it's flashiness among the inexperienced. Somehow the managed to do get a hard pin like a corner pin once, and that justification enough not to get one. They think if they can just manage to through it right, then can they use just one ball. So then they end up with a 10% percentage on the harder spares like the 7 and 10 pin. I've told one of my students mutliple times to get a spare ball and that it would be the best investment to improve their game and average. They insist on doing it the hard way. They have 4 performance balls including one of the new DV8 ball, just ordered an $80+ dollar bowling shirt, and cringes at 10 pins everytime they show up because it's gonna go in the gutter or hook away from the 10 pin at the last second.

DrOcktagon
02-22-2013, 01:19 PM
I've never used a spare ball. I understand the need some people have for them, but I've always been able to throw whatever ball I'm using dead straight, and I'm not just fooling myself into thinking that. I throw a decent sized hook, but even with a very aggressive ball, I can throw it straight as well.

If I'm throwing my 2Cruel at a full rack, then I'm throwing my 2Cruel at ten pins, too.

noeymc
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
i dont need a spare ball i can pick up all my spares with my hammer taboo deep purple or my roto grip shatter =D its up the how the person bowls and what he feels is best for him

Kobra167
02-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Well there are exceptions and there are people that can throw it straight or come up the back of the ball to get it there. The guy isn't really talking about you 200 bowlers that more or less know what to do. The problem is that the 120-170ish avg "newbie" bowler is unlikely to have both skill sets. Do you have to have a spareball no. But there are advangates if you do. The problem tends to lie when an average joe bowler decides to learn to how hook. A lot forget how to bowl straight with any amount of accuracy. So they miss it both ways when they get fed up with trying to hook at it. But it's not till you get more serious, for what seems for most people, that they adequately learn to throw it straight or take the hook off. Or finally make the investment to get the spareball.

zemeckis
02-22-2013, 02:19 PM
I have almost always used a spare ball to shoot single pins but since short i only use a spare ball to shoot at the 4-7-6-10 al the other pins i just use my "strike" ball.

noeymc
02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Well there are exceptions and there are people that can throw it straight or come up the back of the ball to get it there. The guy isn't really talking about you 200 bowlers that more or less know what to do. The problem is that the 120-170ish avg "newbie" bowler is unlikely to have both skill sets. Do you have to have a spareball no. But there are advangates if you do. The problem tends to lie when an average joe bowler decides to learn to how hook. A lot forget how to bowl straight with any amount of accuracy. So they miss it both ways when they get fed up with trying to hook at it. But it's not till you get more serious, for what seems for most people, that they adequately learn to throw it straight or take the hook off. Or finally make the investment to get the spareball.

not sure where i got a 200 avg from=D youd be shocked to know what my avg is but ill let u guess it off my videos =D lol but its not as hard as people think it is this game is more mental then anything imo take a step back 6 inchs should be enough use the same marks u used while throwing a straight ball for ten pns and 7s atleast and throw it try it pratice doing it i prob hit about 80-90 % of my ten pins and like 75-85% on my 7 pins but for every other spare go to the lane throw ur ball down every arrow see how it hooks and that will give u a idea of how ur ball will react all over the lane

xthe_charismatic_enigmax
02-22-2013, 03:08 PM
I throw my Taboo Jet Black as my strike ball and I throw my Taboo Jet Black at 10 pins, everything else I throw my Nexus at.

GeoLes
02-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I just purchased a Brunswick T Zone for about $80 just for spares. Prior to that, I threw my shineiest ball with a flat release, rolling the ball off the index finger. I got more or less turn at the back end. Depending on lane. ConditIons.
It took me a white to Fin.d the third mark form 38 without overcompensating and dumping it in the gutter.

A ball with zero break would be very helpful. I normally throw a breaking first ball.

billf
02-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Those who have been here awhile know I keep stats on everything I do. Since abandoning my spare ball (pitches were off causing hand pain) my spare conversion percentage has dropped 10%. Just the ten pin alone went from 97% to 90%. Splits are a hair harder to convert also. Of course THS are a lot easier, even for spares.

unclemantis
02-22-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't use my thumb at all so a plastic ball really makes no difference for me.

billf
02-22-2013, 09:56 PM
The lack of a core will make a difference, thumb or not. Easier to control with a ton less hook potential (5 boards vs. 15)

unclemantis
02-22-2013, 10:07 PM
The lack of a core will make a difference, thumb or not. Easier to control with a ton less hook potential (5 boards vs. 15)

I will agree with you on that. I will try my 10 pin shots using a house ball and see what happens.

billf
02-22-2013, 10:17 PM
A teammate of mine bowls thumbless. We took a weak ball, added polish like crazy, drilled it to go very, very, long but for the opposite hand. It's worked well for him so far. It hooks about three boards tops.
Maybe one day I will think inside the box or at least near the box.

unclemantis
02-22-2013, 10:28 PM
A teammate of mine bowls thumbless. We took a weak ball, added polish like crazy, drilled it to go very, very, long but for the opposite hand. It's worked well for him so far. It hooks about three boards tops.
Maybe one day I will think inside the box or at least near the box.

My 10 pin pickup rate has gone UP but i am still not anywhere near my goal of 80 to 90 percent! More like along the lines of 40 to 50 percent!!

swingset
02-23-2013, 08:24 AM
That's the big confusion I see with my friends on league - they think that spare ball automatically means "throwing it different/straight". You can still throw your regular hook style with a plastic ball....cause polished and with a weak core it's not going anywhere but straight. I don't bowl a different release for my spares, I just use plastic and it goes straight - that's the whole idea. It takes the lane out of the equation.

Most people who swear they don't need them are also only bowling on THS. Try some sport patterns or worse a PBA pattern - you'll understand why relying on a hook for your spares is a bad thing when conditions are not the same week to week.

noeymc
02-23-2013, 10:21 AM
That's the big confusion I see with my friends on league - they think that spare ball automatically means "throwing it different/straight". You can still throw your regular hook style with a plastic ball....cause polished and with a weak core it's not going anywhere but straight. I don't bowl a different release for my spares, I just use plastic and it goes straight - that's the whole idea. It takes the lane out of the equation.

Most people who swear they don't need them are also only bowling on THS. Try some sport patterns or worse a PBA pattern - you'll understand why relying on a hook for your spares is a bad thing when conditions are not the same week to week.

bowled on a 40 ft sport shot on yesterday shot a 187 i warmed up on a ths waled 2 lanes over and bowled no spare ball 2 open frames

swingset
02-23-2013, 01:18 PM
bowled on a 40 ft sport shot on yesterday shot a 187 i warmed up on a ths waled 2 lanes over and bowled no spare ball 2 open frames

Good for you.

unclemantis
02-23-2013, 10:23 PM
This one should match up nicely with my Nail. Thoughts?

http://c3333154.r54.cf0.rackcdn.com/columbia-300/bowling-balls/300/white-dot-scarlet-gold-black-25122.

http://c3333154.r54.cf0.rackcdn.com/hammer/bowling-balls/300/nail-smoke-and-fire-31252.jpg

billf
02-23-2013, 10:43 PM
They look too much alike for me. I would end up grabbing the wrong ball lol

greycat
02-24-2013, 12:56 AM
I perfer the plastic ball. this thrusday I took the bet of spare vs resin. Yeah, I won had a 4 bagger with the tzone. I warned him not to go easy on me but I think the pressure to match a guy with a spare was too much. I Played 5 board and stood back a step. I wanted to teach him the importance of finding your mark that picks up spares. basically the 3-6-9.

It's not a joke when you read guys saying don't get on a tough pattern without a spare ball. You have to bowl with a spare game where you know what arrows to throw at to pickup any pin leaves. Guys fail at this simply if you aren't striking you don't know the balls motion to the oil. Guy throws the second ball still don't get the motion needed and miss the spare.

Now put me on ths and I will do whatever I please to make the spare. On wednesday in league I used my urethane and threw a backup ball at left side spares and nearly got a spilt. I really had five 7 pins in a row. The other team was laughing so hard. They couldn't believe I had that many revs same arm either spin direction. I played straight down 5 and ball hooked to the 7 pin.

ArtVandelay
02-24-2013, 01:37 AM
Its tough watching someone practice and figuring out whats going on... If Im having trouble with my strike ball (and if time permits) sometimes I will go practice but ONLY throw a strike ball. It doesnt matter what the leave is, my next ball is being thrown as if all 10 pins are still there. Im looking for location and the roll phase to be correct.

But more often I will just pick a pin and shoot for that. I worry about placing the ball where I want it more than anything. A game without an open frame is just as rewarding to me as a 240 game. Spares matter.

Heres a fun one: have you ever practiced throwing a brooklyn strike? Ive bowled whole games like that just working on my angles. Sometimes the ball hits the pocket spinning weird and you will get one of those odd splits. If you can throw brooklyn you have a good shot kicking one of those pins on the left off to the right and taking out the 10 for your split conversion. Its one of my favorite shots. Some people think its an impressive conversion, but I bet I pick it up 75% of the time now.

SmilingBowler
02-24-2013, 01:54 AM
Art: I love that you brought up testing angles. I have bowled entire games in practice and some early frames in league play to try a different line, using that method. When I get a new ball, I often find myself doing it more often in practice. Sometimes I'll throw an entire game aiming to go Brooklyn (or Jersey as we call it here in the Philly area). Sometimes I play a game of 22, aiming at the 10 and 7 pin. Lowest score wins - gutter balls count as 5 pins.

Note to Mod: I know this is "off topic" and perhaps someone would like to start a thread about bowling drills, or recommend one?

J Anderson
02-24-2013, 08:42 AM
They look too much alike for me. I would end up grabbing the wrong ball lol

At least once I've picked up the wrong ball and thrown it when the balls looked nothing alike!

unclemantis
02-24-2013, 10:40 AM
At least once I've picked up the wrong ball and thrown it when the balls looked nothing alike!

Maybe i should just get a big yellow smile face ball! But then again when I am practicing I might have someone else mistake it for a house ball!

chrono00
02-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Art: I love that you brought up testing angles. I have bowled entire games in practice and some early frames in league play to try a different line, using that method. When I get a new ball, I often find myself doing it more often in practice. Sometimes I'll throw an entire game aiming to go Brooklyn (or Jersey as we call it here in the Philly area). Sometimes I play a game of 22, aiming at the 10 and 7 pin. Lowest score wins - gutter balls count as 5 pins.

Note to Mod: I know this is "off topic" and perhaps someone would like to start a thread about bowling drills, or recommend one?

I've done the jersey on purpose to try n pick up certain spares as well.

Where in Philly are you from?

ArtVandelay
02-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Yeah, I didnt mean to go off topic... Hahahaha. I think the OP said he was at open bowling watching that guy. Im sure there are people who have watched me during open bowling and thought "what an idiot." Im lucky to break 100 sometimes when I practice (depending on what Im doing). So maybe the two handed bowler was doing that on purpose.

When I warm up for league, my first ball is always 10 pin. My second ball is my strike ball. That way I always get to throw two balls to warm up my arm, AND I get to practice the 10 pin, which helps me get better at it. I bet im now about 75% shooting 10 pin, but I bet I was around 10% when I first started (Im mostly a no thumb bowler... I can use my thumb, but my last ball had been drilled so poorly it would really hurt after a while. I have new balls now, but Im used to 2 finger bowling. The 10 pin isnt as big an issue for me as it is for some no thumb bowlers).