PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Slide Distance

billf
02-23-2013, 11:00 PM
The following is an article by Joe Slowinski regarding the importance of the slide and deternining your ideal slide distance.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_slide_feb_2013.pdf

noeymc
02-23-2013, 11:27 PM
my coach just shorten mine

Greenday
02-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Now, when they say slide distance, what exactly are they talking about? Because NO ONE slides that far on one slide step.

J Anderson
02-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Now, when they say slide distance, what exactly are they talking about? Because NO ONE slides that far on one slide step.

I think he must have meant the distance from the point where the slide foot passes the other foot to the point where the slide foot stops.

unclemantis
02-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Anyone know what my slide distance is? Feel free to check my videos :)

billf
02-24-2013, 09:22 PM

It would certainly have to be the distance from the non-slide foot to the end of the slide. That's the only way I could see anybody sliding six feet!

scottymoney
02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
You also have to remember it is also based on the person.A taller person will have a much longer stride so basically their effective slide distance will be more. On Joe's article you will see the pro's and their distances. Branes and Malott are much taller than most of those other guys so I can see why their effective slide may be more. Seeing Weber up there is kind of weird as well as Bohn and Duke bother being in the middle is also interesting, so maybe my taller statement doesn't hold up.

Another thing I an wondering about is Belmonte being on the list. I don't really see 2 handers as having a slide, the majority have a quick almost jump action to the line with planting the left foot.

unclemantis
02-25-2013, 11:03 PM
You also have to remember it is also based on the person.A taller person will have a much longer stride so basically their effective slide distance will be more. On Joe's article you will see the pro's and their distances. Branes and Malott are much taller than most of those other guys so I can see why their effective slide may be more. Seeing Weber up there is kind of weird as well as Bohn and Duke bother being in the middle is also interesting, so maybe my taller statement doesn't hold up.

Another thing I an wondering about is Belmonte being on the list. I don't really see 2 handers as having a slide, the majority have a quick almost jump action to the line with planting the left foot.

There are a few others that are not two handers that do not have a slide.

Slide is optional. My mom doesn't slide.

Myself? I don't slide for that long. I never really measured.

billf
02-25-2013, 11:32 PM
I haven't seen a recent pro who wasn't a two-hander that doesn't have some slide.

billf
02-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Scotty, the height factor makes sense as does the not as tall guys. Duke has a very fast pace to generate the power so his momentum gives him a long slide for his stature.

explorer05
02-25-2013, 11:37 PM
I agree it's tough to judge because for me too much slide and timing goes do the drain, not enough and I pull the ball. Really it does depend on the bowler. For me it is a feel not really distance. I think the longer you bowl the amount of slide will come to you. I buy bowling shoes with interchangeable heels and toe inserts. To me it gives me the best match for the approaches because I can change to make my side right. I also believe the amount slide can make a bowler better or worse, but that is something the bowler has to figure out.

sukeetoshyoo88
02-26-2013, 12:31 AM
scott norton? no slide super late timing one hander?

i actually thought i didn't slide at all, until i recorded some videos. and was like, wow. that pretty far.

J Anderson
02-26-2013, 09:03 PM
The following is an article by Joe Slowinski regarding the importance of the slide and deternining your ideal slide distance.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/stories/slowinski_slide_feb_2013.pdf

I just went back and re-read this article and while he makes a good case for this theoretical ideal slide distance, there isn't the slightest hint as to how to compute it other than that you need to work with a coach to do it. I know its not covered in level one. Can I just go to one of the bronze level coaches that I know, or do I have to find a silver or gold level coach?

billf
02-26-2013, 09:41 PM
It wasn't covered in the Bronze course either. I won't know about the Silver until July 13th. I also found it interesting that there was no explaination on how to determine what slide distance would be ideal for each bowler.

billf
02-26-2013, 09:48 PM
scott norton? no slide super late timing one hander?

i actually thought i didn't slide at all, until i recorded some videos. and was like, wow. that pretty far.

I just watched some of Scott Norton videos on YouTube. His slide is very short on his strike shot and none on his spare attempts.

unclemantis
02-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Slide is subjective. There is no IDEAL slide. The slide that works for you is the slide that works for you.

GeorgiaStroker
02-28-2013, 05:54 PM
I got the impression he was saying to experiment with sole and heel combinations and or footwork speed to obtain a slide that allowed you to come to a stop at the same time the ball reaches your ankle. That would be your ideal slide length.

Tampabaybob
03-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Slide length for each bowler will vary. Some guys with high back swings will plant on the last step some will slide. Likewise for strokers and twiners some will plant also. Here is a prime example of each bowler having a unique style and delivery pattern. Sure Joe can theorize that a certain slide distance is "the best", but what it really comes down to, is the bowler able to come thru the ball "completely balanced" and with his/her release timed with there finishing foot ? As long as that can happen, and the bowler is able to post his/her shot, whatever slide length they have is correct for them. Just my take on it. You can always "try" to change someones slide, but that doesn't guarantee, it's going to help them increase their average.

billf
03-01-2013, 11:29 PM
No change ever guarantees success for every bowler though. Coaching is about increasing the player's odds by trying different techniques that can suit that bowler. Just like keeping the balance leg on the floor doesn't work for all bowlers, but does help the vast majority, so won't a proper slide.

Tampabaybob
03-02-2013, 06:02 AM
True, but you must admit there are many other "tweaks" you can do for a bowler that will take much less effort on their part, to help them increase. On a scale of 1 -10 I'd put the slide factor somewhere around a 5. Again, that's just my take. Every coach has different outlooks on what's going to help a bowler progress faster.

billf
03-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Changing a slide is hard. This is especially true when so many lower level bowlers don't power off the prior step. Another piece to a rather large puzzle still the same. I do know how much a good slide helped my game not just with timing but better balance. My objective wasn't to get people to slide six feet but rather to try to stop planting so hard (bad for knees and back nevermind accuracy and timing) and try at least a small slide.

unclemantis
03-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Good to see you back Bob.

Tampabaybob
03-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Changing a slide is hard. This is especially true when so many lower level bowlers don't power off the prior step. Another piece to a rather large puzzle still the same. I do know how much a good slide helped my game not just with timing but better balance. My objective wasn't to get people to slide six feet but rather to try to stop planting so hard (bad for knees and back nevermind accuracy and timing) and try at least a small slide.

Total agreement with you on this Bill. Planting is "really bad" for the knees and other aspects of timing. If I see someone planting I do get to have them try to slide, but it comes with lots of practice usually and many bowlers are 3 games a week type of bowlers. So it's hard to get them set up and stay that way. Guys that plant will almost always end up with knee problems somewhere down the road. One of the hard parts is convincing them of that.

SmilingBowler
03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Good to see you back Bob.

Always good seeing the best chatters return. Welcome back Bob. Best of Luck!

SmilingBowler
03-03-2013, 12:58 PM

Total agreement with you on this Bill. Planting is "really bad" for the knees and other aspects of timing. If I see someone planting I do get to have them try to slide, but it comes with lots of practice usually and many bowlers are 3 games a week type of bowlers. So it's hard to get them set up and stay that way. Guys that plant will almost always end up with knee problems somewhere down the road. One of the hard parts is convincing them of that.

I encourage many other bowlers to at least try to slide on the ball of their slide foot. Distance doesn't matter as much, as long as your ball is in control and slightly behind the foul line when you end your slide. This helps your forward momentum transfer to your upper body to lift on the release. I find as long as I keep my arm straight and don't dip my shoulder, I can get enough loft to clear the first 4-5 feet of oil. This lets the ball slide shorter, break on-point and crash through the pocket, clearing the deck. But its all in the timing. I wouldn't want to throw off someone's timing trying to tell them to increase their slide.

New shoes, something I'll be adjusting to this month or next.. whenever I get them, can throw off your timing in your slide and release, but as you get used to how new shoes (any and all shoes for newer bowlers) you can slow your approach to control your slide. Like most everything else, speed kills. Its better to stay slow, in control and make your marks.