PDA

View Full Version : Hook Angle

JCasey1992
02-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Hi all!

I recently watched a few frames of a pretty high level tournament. I admit I hook the ball but these blew me away with the angle they enter the pocket. these guys were able to roll the ball way towards the rail and it would still snap into the pocket sharp and hard. I imagine that this entry angle will give me much more power and more strikes. thow can I practice this? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Casey

noeymc
02-24-2013, 12:32 AM
it depends on a lot of things the people you see doing that prob have 190 up avg or they can add the revs to help the ball the balls cover might have been changed a lot plays into that but u dont need a big hook to get strikes on a normal house shot right up the ten board will give u a entry to pocket i dont know how u bowl so i cant say for sure but for ur everyday joe ten board will work just fine =D

CeKnauss
02-24-2013, 12:50 AM
Revs don't solve all problems. You must find a line, speed, and revs to match up to the lanes and oil pattern. It also depends on the ball you are using. I've seen the same ball do 3 or more different things depending on what conditions it was used on and how it was thrown. Revs help create entry angle, and as long as the ball hits the pins the right way to strike, you shouldn't need to ask for more.

Zothen
02-24-2013, 01:05 PM
I have seen power players do that and it is a blessing and a curse! The right angle stikes,slightly off and splitsville or 10 pin.

Zothen

billf
02-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Revs don't solve all problems. You must find a line, speed, and revs to match up to the lanes and oil pattern. It also depends on the ball you are using. I've seen the same ball do 3 or more different things depending on what conditions it was used on and how it was thrown. Revs help create entry angle, and as long as the ball hits the pins the right way to strike, you shouldn't need to ask for more.

Revs create entry angle? Since when? I think this is a common misconception and only part of the equation. Revs create push. Push is the distance the breakpoint is beyond the oil pattern. Revs with the wrong axis rotation and/or tilt will not create more angle.

The ideal entry angle to maximize strike potential is 4° to 6° at a ball speed of 18 mph to 21 mph at the pins assuming speed and rev rate are matched or at least close. Axis tilit of 13° and rotation of 60° were the given variables in this study conducted by the USBC at the IRTC.

CeKnauss
02-25-2013, 02:22 AM
Revs create entry angle? Since when? I think this is a common misconception and only part of the equation. Revs create push. Push is the distance the breakpoint is beyond the oil pattern. Revs with the wrong axis rotation and/or tilt will not create more angle.

The ideal entry angle to maximize strike potential is 4° to 6° at a ball speed of 18 mph to 21 mph at the pins assuming speed and rev rate are matched or at least close. Axis tilit of 13° and rotation of 60° were the given variables in this study conducted by the USBC at the IRTC.

Revs, or revolutions, consist of some rotation imparted on the ball. This helps the ball hook, no? The ball can still hook and have entry angle, but that rotation imparted on the ball will assist the ball motion and grant the user a better entry angle. However, too much rotation can cause overhook or overskid, depending on too many other variables. If I am wrong in any of this, do correct me. I'm always learning.

swingset
02-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Don't confuse "looks impressive" with being effective at striking. A sharper hook angle isn't always advantageous. If your control isn't on the money, it leaves disastrous splits. Many of the players on my league with that sharp "L" hook roll 279's, and 149's when they have a bad game.

A more gradual controllable hook can be every bit as dominating on the lanes....ask Norm Duke.

barcar
02-25-2013, 01:48 PM
I have had this same discussion with my son, who loves to throw without put his thumb in the ball, because he gets a much bigger hook, then when he puts his thumb in, and he likes the sound the pins make when he hits the pins. I on the other hand throw up the 10 board and can make the same sound when I strike, throwing the ball 3-5mph slower then he does.

Kobra167
02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
You'll need a coach, a strong hand position and strong wrist. You'll need a ball designed and drilled to do it. You'll need lane conditions that will support it. You'll need about 200 games of practice to learn and have an intermediate level of mastery of getting that motion. And then many many many more games of practice to learn to strike with it and be able to make adjustments for lane conditions and changes. And once you think you got it down. Go practice at a different bowling alley.

GeoLes
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Don't confuse "looks impressive" with being effective at striking. A sharper hook angle isn't always advantageous. If your control isn't on the money, it leaves disastrous splits. Many of the players on my league with that sharp "L" hook roll 279's, and 149's when they have a bad game.

A more gradual controllable hook can be every bit as dominating on the lanes....ask Norm Duke.

Ask Miko Koineumeini (spelling?) - He has about as many perfect games under his belt as Belmonte. There's nothing remarkable about his approach. No super high back swing. No super crank on release, just down and in.