PDA

View Full Version : Parker bohn iii and carolyn dorin-ballard win cheetah championship

onefrombills
12-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Two of the greatest to ever throw a bowling ball, Parker Bohn III of Jackson, N.J. and Carolyn Dorin-Ballard of N. Richland Hills, Texas, took home titles at the Cheetah Championship, the seventh stop on the 2008-09 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour. The final round was telecast live from AMF Thruway Lanes on ESPN.

Bohn III’s 32nd career title came after defeating No. 3 seed Mike Scroggins of Amarillo, Texas 242-198 in the televised championship round.

“I had one ball that worked all week, my Twisted Fury; I had tried to use others, but it was almost impossible to get through the pins,” said Bohn III, who is currently fifth on the list of all-time PBA Tour titlists.

Bohn III was the top seed entering the final round after defeating No. 2 seed Patrick Allen of Wesley Chapel, Fla. in Friday’s final position round 279-237.

“If it’s a stepladder format, I want to be No. 1 every week, that’s the way I like it” said Bohn III, who only had to win one match on Sunday’s telecast to win the championship.

Scroggins advanced to Sunday’s championship match by climbing the ladder in the stepladder format, first defeating No. 4 seed and local fan favorite Jack Jurek of Lackawanna, N.Y., 235-175, then No. 2 Allen, 222-200.

PBA Women’s Series Dorin-Ballard defeated No. 2 seed Stefanie Nation of Arlington, Texas, to take home the Cheetah Championship trophy and her 2nd career PBA Women’s Series title.

“This was a very emotional day for me,” said Dorin-Ballard. “It’s Pearl Harbor Day, and my dad was a P.O.W. in World War II, and I felt like he was looking out for me.”

Dorin-Ballard defeated Nation 208-204 in the close championship match. Dorin-Ballard threw a clutch strike the first shot in the 10th frame and then left a 1-2-4-10 washout, sparing it to force Nation to strike the first shot in the 10th frame. Nation left a stubborn 10 pin to give Dorin-Ballard the title.

“Stefanie did really well in the 10th, but I got a break and took it,” said Dorin-Ballard. “The lanes were tight and if I didn’t catch it the way I needed to, I wouldn’t have gotten the strikes.”

For the first time in PBA history, the Women’s Series final was shown first on the telecast, followed by the men’s stepladder competition and men’s championship round.

The Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour continues next week at the Lumber Liquidators Shark Championship at Country Club Lanes in Baltimore, Md. The finals will be telecast live on ESPN at 1 p.m. ET.