PDA

View Full Version : Working Out...

DrOcktagon
02-24-2013, 10:34 PM
I was just wondering, what kind of strength training do you do to help stay in good bowling shape?

I've never really worked out, even when I was bowling every day. Bowling was my workout. I've always wondered how much my game would improve if I were actually in some kind of shape - other than round.

Keep in mind, I don't have access to a gym. All I have is two dumbbells, some weight plates, and my bowling balls which, when put in a ball polisher with handles, can double as a 15-pound kettlebell.

noeymc
02-24-2013, 10:39 PM
leg workouts and wrist would be the 2 off the top of my head

billf
02-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Lunges with your kettlebells would be great. Any exercises that strengthen the core always help.

Greenday
02-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Wrist exercises, shoulder, arms. Probably the most important muscles to strengthen. Cardio probably would be good overall. Certainly never hurts.

Stretch. Biggest problems I have tend to deal with flexibility. I don't have a very flexible hip flexor which is a problem with getting low at the line. Being more flexible will make staying loose a lot easier.

noeymc
02-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Wrist exercises, shoulder, arms. Probably the most important muscles to strengthen. Cardio probably would be good overall. Certainly never hurts.

Stretch. Biggest problems I have tend to deal with flexibility. I don't have a very flexible hip flexor which is a problem with getting low at the line. Being more flexible will make staying loose a lot easier.

the shoulder and arm work outs should be for endurance not to get big and dont let working out make u think u can muscle the ball bad things will only happen

swingset
02-25-2013, 07:17 AM
I've been doing P90X (and its variants) for a couple years now. It's helped my bowling (and everything else I do) immensely. It's really just an overall fitness program but it's very comprehensive as it includes stretching, strength training, cardio and core fitness.

I used to get pulled hamstrings and sore shoulders from a long day of tournaments or bowling, now it doesn't even phase me.

It absolutely makes you a better bowler to be in good shape. Can you be a slob and be good? Of course, but like all physical activities the better your baseline the more your potential improves.

Best part about P90X is you can do it with minimal equipment (dumb bells or bands, a chair, and a towel) in your living room. If you get really fancy a pullup bar from a door frame.

e-tank
02-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Fyi if anybody wants a workout routine just PM me. Ive been lifting almost 10 years, im a personal trainer and will soon have a degree in exercise science (Just so you guys know im not some broscience goob on the internet)

Greenday
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
the shoulder and arm work outs should be for endurance not to get big and dont let working out make u think u can muscle the ball bad things will only happen

I'm not saying work out to get jacked, just to strengthen them. Your shoulder and arm will tire out quickly if they aren't very strong.

Zothen
02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
The best workout is core,back & legs. No upper body as your legs is what you use for power!

Zothen

noeymc
02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm not saying work out to get jacked, just to strengthen them. Your shoulder and arm will tire out quickly if they aren't very strong.

i was just clearing it up

swingset
02-25-2013, 01:56 PM
The best workout is core,back & legs. No upper body as your legs is what you use for power!

Zothen

Your upper body is still prone to fatigue, even with the mild amount of work a bowling swing exerts on your arm it's still repetitive motion. Do some arm circles for 5 minutes. Your shoulders will be on fire. That's what your arm is doing during a long bowling session just extended out over a couple hours....it's still smart to condition and strengthen your arms, back and chest. And, there's a whole ancillary benefit to being in total shape, which is everything else you do in life will benefit from top to bottom fitness - including lifting the roller out of the trunk! :D

Hammer
02-25-2013, 08:40 PM
A good core exercise is to do bridges. To do that you get on your elbows and clasp your hands together and get on your toes and make your body like a bridge. Try to hold that pose for 30 seconds. Maybe you are stronger and can hold it longer. Go as long as you can until you start to struggle. Then rest for a minute and do it for the same amount of time again. Do it three to five times. This exercise is good for the core and will activate other muscles in your shoulders, arms and legs. It will hit the glutes also. Do some squats every other day also. If you want to hit the glutes and legs another way do step ups. You can use a step in your house or anything that is six to eight inches off the ground. Stand sideways to a step and step up with the foot next to the stair and lift your body up with that one leg then step back down . Then you do as many as you can with one leg and then the same number with the other leg. This will strenghten your sliding leg which will give you better balance sliding to the foul line. You have to do both legs because you don't want to be unbalanced
where one leg it stronger then the other. If there is two things on your body like your arms for instance you don't just exercise one arm.
You do both to be in balance.