PDA

View Full Version : Over-analysis...

DrOcktagon
02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
I've just realized over-analyzing your swing can have negative repercussions. I had never recorded myself until recently, and I've been watching it a lot; going frame by frame, noticing every little thing my arm and hand do during my swing, etc.

Earlier this week when I went to practice, I had a terrible day. After the fact, I realized it was because I was over-thinking things. I was trying to intentionally do things that are normally subconscious actions. I wasn't letting my muscle-memory do what it does.

Just got back from the lanes. I made sure today to not think about every little thing and I had my best performance since I started bowling again. My swing felt pretty good and my release was more-or-less consistent. I had a 215 and a 206 which, honestly, is what I expect from myself every time I go.

One step closer to being where I need to be, but still have a LOT of work to do.

billf
02-25-2013, 09:58 PM
It's easy to over-analyze. The hard part is knowing that even though ten things are wrong, you can't try to correct more than three at any one time. Knowing that each piece needs to be combined to obtain the finished product. Meaning that there are times we have to go backwards a little to make big leaps forward.

noeymc
02-26-2013, 02:26 PM
very nicely said bill

GeoLes
02-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Per my coach, all you want to do on the approach is put the ball trough your mark. Step, set, walk.

Do the thinking behind the ball return.(Where will I stand? where am I going? How to release, etc. Go through the gymnatics mentally, get the junk out of the way. Then step up to the approach, trust you body to remember and obay. 10-seconds later the ball should be away down the lane. If you need to work on the swing save it for isolation drills during practice drill.

RoccoRock
02-26-2013, 07:46 PM
I would say, for me, that over thinking my game is one of my biggest problems. Especially because I currently have 2 different deliveries, and at times I've had 3. I bowl 5 games one way, and watch the tape and think I've got it down. Then I bowl 5 games another way, and watch that video and think WOW, that's even better. I do it with equipment too. Should I use my Marauder, or my 607A, or my Nano, or my Outlaw. Sometimes simple is just better. Last night, I basically had one ball to throw, my 508A. I just relaxed, and had fun. I was really happy, and bowled well with both deliveries. I did have to do some thinking. I had to move 5-6 boards right when I went 2 handed, but other than that I just let loose. The results were very good. I had the best practice session that I can remember in a long time. In total, 9 games, and only 2 below 200, and all above my average.

Being able to relax, and put yourself in a good frame of mind is so key in this game. Studying is fine, but if you are over thinking, and over analyzing, it could hurt you game more than help it.

J Anderson
02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
I would say, for me, that over thinking my game is one of my biggest problems. Especially because I currently have 2 different deliveries, and at times I've had 3. I bowl 5 games one way, and watch the tape and think I've got it down. Then I bowl 5 games another way, and watch that video and think WOW, that's even better. I do it with equipment too. Should I use my Marauder, or my 607A, or my Nano, or my Outlaw. Sometimes simple is just better. Last night, I basically had one ball to throw, my 508A. I just relaxed, and had fun. I was really happy, and bowled well with both deliveries. I did have to do some thinking. I had to move 5-6 boards right when I went 2 handed, but other than that I just let loose. The results were very good. I had the best practice session that I can remember in a long time. In total, 9 games, and only 2 below 200, and all above my average.

Being able to relax, and put yourself in a good frame of mind is so key in this game. Studying is fine, but if you are over thinking, and over analyzing, it could hurt you game more than help it.

Your statement about over thinking equipment reminds me of when my friend Jeff joined our team in the early 90s. Jeff was the first "serious" bowler I had met and would bring three different balls in to the alley. Almost every week we would have done better with a blind score the first game because he'd keep trying different lines and different balls until he was happy.

GeoLes
02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Your statement about over thinking equipment reminds me of when my friend Jeff joined our team in the early 90s. Jeff was the first "serious" bowler I had met and would bring three different balls in to the alley. Almost every week we would have done better with a blind score the first game because he'd keep trying different lines and different balls until he was happy.

I am also a road bicyclist and back before Lance Armstrong became a persona non grata, he ghost-wrote a book called "it's not about the bike". The slogan in cycling is "you can't buy speed". The same is true about bowling. It's not about the ball and you can't buy strikes by simply changing equipment.

A change in ball or technique may help, but posilbly may only go so far, failing once someting else changes in your delivery. Sometimes it helps to go back to the drawing board, and review the basics of approach, swing and release. Get that grooved in and micro adjust around the basics. With a sound foundation which will not change, we stand a better chance of consistency and improvement over time.

Just my opinion.