PDA

View Full Version : I finally got my own spare-ball! but I have some questions

I suck at bowling
02-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Hey guys, I've taken your advice, and I finally got my own spareball. I got the Storm Mainframe pretty cheap so I'm happy. Now I have a few questions.

My PAP is down 1/2 and over 6 1/2. Will that be used when drilling it? Does the layout of the spare-ball really affect its reaction? With my rev rate being 540, will this still go straight for me? Do you suggest polishing it down even more when it arrives?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I need some help, lol.

J Anderson
02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
I think, ( I'm sure the pro shop guys will correct me if I'm wrong ), that on a spare ball the pancake weight block is centered in the grip so that after drilling the ball is as symmetric as possible. I don't think that your PAP gets taken into effect.

I've watch a few PBA tournaments where Belmonte was using a plastic ball as his strike ball so a little polish couldn't hurt.

I suck at bowling
02-26-2013, 10:32 AM
I think, ( I'm sure the pro shop guys will correct me if I'm wrong ), that on a spare ball the pancake weight block is centered in the grip so that after drilling the ball is as symmetric as possible. I don't think that your PAP gets taken into effect.

I've watch a few PBA tournaments where Belmonte was using a plastic ball as his strike ball so a little polish couldn't hurt.

Thanks man!

And I've noticed that Belmo flattens out his wrist a whole lot when shooting the 10 pin, but I plan to still throw one handed at it so thats not a problem. and I'm hoping that I could also use this ball when it is extremely dry. but I will polish the ball down when I get it. Someone on the site told me to polish it before every set, so I might try that as well! Though, I will run out of polish fast, lol.

75lockwood
02-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Hey guys, I've taken your advice, and I finally got my own spareball. I got the Storm Mainframe pretty cheap so I'm happy. Now I have a few questions.

My PAP is down 1/2 and over 6 1/2. Will that be used when drilling it? Does the layout of the spare-ball really affect its reaction? With my rev rate being 540, will this still go straight for me? Do you suggest polishing it down even more when it arrives?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I need some help, lol.

Layout is irrelevant when it comes to a spareball, look at the ball, you will notice the lack of a pin, can't drill a layout if you wanted to lol.

having such a high rev rate you will most likely see some movement unless you make an adjustment, some two handed bowlers such as osku palermaa throw one handed on spares to get the ball going straighter, then there's bemlo who gets rid of axis rotation to get the ball to do straight.

I will leave polish to someone else, as far as i know it wouldn't do anything, but never thought about it before.

I suck at bowling
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Layout is irrelevant when it comes to a spareball, look at the ball, you will notice the lack of a pin, can't drill a layout if you wanted to lol.

having such a high rev rate you will most likely see some movement unless you make an adjustment, some two handed bowlers such as osku palermaa throw one handed on spares to get the ball going straighter, then there's bemlo who gets rid of axis rotation to get the ball to do straight.

I will leave polish to someone else, as far as i know it wouldn't do anything, but never thought about it before.

I throw hard and straight at splits, the 6 pin, and the 10 pin. And I want to stop dinging up my Nano Pearl when I do that, lol. I've tried throwing flat at spares like Belmo, but that is difficult for me.

I didn't think layout mattered, but I needed to be sure.

Thanks for the input man!

Kobra167
02-26-2013, 02:00 PM
At 540 you'll probably get about 3 boards of visible movement out of it if your using it as a spare ball. Specially when the lane break down or gets dry. Put a little polish on it and practice. If you get to revs down to about 400, the ball with hold true to its course unless your throwing it up the 5 board.

I suck at bowling
02-26-2013, 02:37 PM
At 540 you'll probably get about 3 boards of visible movement out of it if your using it as a spare ball. Specially when the lane break down or gets dry. Put a little polish on it and practice. If you get to revs down to about 400, the ball with hold true to its course unless your throwing it up the 5 board.

Okay, thanks for the advice man! I'm gonna try to cut down on my revs for spares, but if that fails I'll just have to adjust for the slight hook it will have.

GeoLes
02-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Mine is being drilled now, and I am waiting to pick up my spare ball, but as I understand it, the ball is drilled to be completely neurtal on the lane. That said, side spin can still give you some turn on the ball so it's best to learn to release the ball end over end. Index finger points at mark, plam remains facing up, let the ball roll off the index finger onto the lane. Keep it simple. I roll my regular ball that way to get spares and it is usually right on, depending on lane conditions, (when not, I have to adjust mark to the right.). Spare ball should eliminate the guess and adjustment.

unclemantis
02-26-2013, 05:07 PM
I am still not sure what spare ball to get. There are so many different designs!!!!!

James The Bowler
02-26-2013, 05:37 PM
I am still not sure what spare ball to get. There are so many different designs!!!!!

I currently have the Ebonite Maxim Royal/Purple/Yellow, and it looks awesome going down the lane. It also glows in the dark, so if your lanes have a night where they turn on blacklights it looks pretty different. I bought mine at one of my local pro shops, but here is a website that has a ton of balls for cheaper than normal prices (does not include drilling though). This is the link to the ball though http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/Ebonite/10069/Maxim-Royal-Purple-Yellow.html?lf=search and I also have a Brunswick Slingshot (which I use more for spares than my plastic)

75lockwood
02-26-2013, 06:23 PM

A spare ball is a spare ball is a spare ball! if your on a budget get something cheap like a Brunswick T Zone, Storm Freeze, or C300 White Dot. if you want to spend more but have it look cool, get something like a dv8 zombie, Viz a Ball, etc

billf
02-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Even at a 540 rev rate, the more you can reduce axis rotation the less the revs will matter. 5,000 revs going forward (0° axis rotation) will move less than 300 revs going left (90° axis rotation). Plus it's cheaper than polish.
Polish after every set for a spare ball seems excessive unless you don't throw any strikes.

unclemantis
02-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Try and stay away from cross marketing promotions such as Tinkerbell and Superman, etc... Stick with a C300 WD.

James The Bowler
03-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Or an Ebonite Maxim. And some leagues will give you the option of getting a Pyramid Path or a Brunswick T-zone for free once the league is totally paid off. That is a good way to get one as well as have fun

I suck at bowling
03-04-2013, 10:01 AM
UPDATE!

I really love this ball! Goes straight on fresh, and it really is seeming to help me! It works great when the lanes are dry, and it plows through the pins.