PDA

View Full Version : Want more pressure during practice, bowl with a buddy...

ecub
02-27-2013, 09:01 AM
I know when we practice, we feel more relaxed and usually bowl allot better. If possible, next time bowl with a buddy. Add a competitive edge to it by making a wager, like the loser pays for food/drinks, games, etc. I often bowl with teammates after our league on Monday. We only bet $1 game, $2 last game of the night.

Also add some difficulty. Someone calls out a number between 1 and 10. Each bowlers will throw the ball and try to knock down that number of pins. if you knock down that number of pins, you win a point. The 2nd ball, pick up the spare. If you pickup the spare, you win another point. Of course, points would have to be manually calculated. The one with the most points, of course, wins. Here's an example, the number is 3. Each bowler tries to knock down 3 pins. If they do, they each get a point. The next ball, they have to knock down the rest (7) for the spare. If they do, they get another point.

If the nights are slow, with allot of available lanes, ask to see if they will let you have a pair of lanes. If they do, also ask to have the scores cross-over, like league scoring. This way, you get the feel of league bowling and some pressure.

- Ed

SmilingBowler
02-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Great post ecub. Since I started practicing with my Dad Sunday mornings, we often can claim two lanes and play league-style. This helps us keep pace like we'll be playing in doubles at The 74th Annual Pennsylvania State Bowling Competition in May. We bowl against one another and I've seen how I can work out some minor issues and my practice average continues to increase.

As for an alternate game, sometimes I'll shoot a game of "Catch 22" when working on corner pin shots. My Dad doesn't play this often, but sometimes another guy from our league will join us and if so, he and I stay back and play an extra game.

The point of "Catch 22" is only knock down the 10 and 7 pins. You want to score "2" per frame. Gutterballs count as 5 pins, lowest score wins. This helps me out because I like learning how I can use my strike ball to pick up those difficult spares and believe me, its even more difficult to only take out the corner pins with a full deck there.

swingset
02-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Good tip. Now, all I need is some friends.

:p

Zothen
02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
I usually play for higher stakes! $20 a win and I usually due,cause I hate to lose $20.

Zothen

ecub
02-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Great post ecub. Since I started practicing with my Dad Sunday mornings, we often can claim two lanes and play league-style. This helps us keep pace like we'll be playing in doubles at The 74th Annual Pennsylvania State Bowling Competition in May. We bowl against one another and I've seen how I can work out some minor issues and my practice average continues to increase.

As for an alternate game, sometimes I'll shoot a game of "Catch 22" when working on corner pin shots. My Dad doesn't play this often, but sometimes another guy from our league will join us and if so, he and I stay back and play an extra game.

The point of "Catch 22" is only knock down the 10 and 7 pins. You want to score "2" per frame. Gutterballs count as 5 pins, lowest score wins. This helps me out because I like learning how I can use my strike ball to pick up those difficult spares and believe me, its even more difficult to only take out the corner pins with a full deck there.

I like playing games where accuracy counts. We have house pots like Corner pin, where if you're right handed, you need to throw 1 ball and leave a 10 pin. 7 pin if you're left handed. The pot is currently over $8000 right now. We also have 7-7-7, where you get 3 throws and MUST hit 7 pins each time. After each throw, the pins are reset. If you hit any other combination, you need to total 21 for all 3 throws. If you get the 7-7-7, you get 50% of the pot, if you get 21, you get around 20% of the pot.

Besides, strikes can come easy at times, but where the points are made are picking up spares.

ecub
02-27-2013, 02:40 PM
I usually play for higher stakes! $20 a win and I usually due,cause I hate to lose $20.

Zothen

It's not the money, but the principle that counts. LOL

Tokes
02-28-2013, 04:02 AM
I like those practice games posted. With the usual side betting, high game, series, or calling out strikes; me and my friend have been bowling like the one on one matches on tv just to add that extra pressure of its you versus me. Until recently we were just bowling with no rythm just trying to fly through games. Also, we have a couple of poker games with picking up strikes and spares we use on league and practice.

RoccoRock
02-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Last year I practiced alone. This year I've been practicing with friends. We don't put money on the games, but we sure do compete. We had a game going where me, and one of my buddies started with a spare, then 5 straight. 7th frame it was on. He spared, I left an open. He turned to me and said "ha, I took the lead." I struck out from there and beat him by 20 pins LOL! Pressure is great, especially when you come through. Even though our averages are all the same, there's no way I can ever get anyone to bet me. They all know the I am better than my average, and I can go off at any time.