PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever just used your spare ball?

SouthpawTRK
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Last night at league I was having trouble hitting my mark, picking up spares and figuring out the lanes. When I did hit my mark, it seemed that my ball was not reacting consistently. At one point, I thought that perhaps I'll just use my spare ball. So, I was wondering if anyone has gone to this extreme during league?

EboniteKid299
02-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Yes, and I got accused of sandbagging lol

noeymc
02-28-2013, 12:47 PM
vince the guy on my team and posted in here said he shot a 278 with his spare ball on some dry lanes i guess it was hooking lol

e-tank
02-28-2013, 12:58 PM
vince the guy on my team and posted in here said he shot a 278 with his spare ball on some dry lanes i guess it was hooking lol

one of my friends on my team used a 12lb house ball before she got her own and she shot a 255 with it

striker12
02-28-2013, 01:09 PM
i have when i use to bowl at cloverleaf because they use to put water in with the oil witch no ball will hook so i had to use my spare ball and throw it right at the pocket but back then it was hard for me so then i turn to my 2 handed style where i can bowl right up middle of the lane.

RoccoRock
02-28-2013, 01:20 PM
I did it a few months ago. I was bowling terrible that night. First 2 games were 171, 171. I was having trouble throwing my 15 pound strike balls. So I took out my 14 pound spare ball, and played straight down and in. I never missed the pocket, but no pin carry. I ended up shooting a 167 with my spare ball. Over the summer, I went to a house I had never been too before. It was crazy dry. I used my spare ball there, and bowled a few good games including a 235.

barcar
02-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Only once in league as the oil machine didn't work, so instead of putting oil down, it just moved the little oil left from the previous days oiling.
Was an interesting night for some of those crankers in the league, as they couldn't keep the ball on the right side of the lane, and I know a lot of corner pins were missed that night.

Kobra167
02-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Oh yeah. I just did that last week. A another league prebowled before our league and they didn't redress the lanes. I went through all the lesser aggressive equipment i had. Even the entry level slingshot wasnt able to get it done. It was that scorched. I got fed up 2 frames into the last game. Pulled out my spare ball, said just hit the pocket and make the spare. i through it straight up 7 and let it turn in. I had no carry but I pulled out a respectable 170 out of that mess.

billf
02-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Hmm, no carry? I used my spare ball for the third game of league for the last half of the season last season. No carry issues. Went with lower speed to be rev dominant.
I have several games over 200 posted on here under the Storm Ice video section and they were after only two games played on that oil.

I suck at bowling
02-28-2013, 07:10 PM
I know several people that will throw plastic on short/dry lanes and bowl great. No carry issues what so ever.

Keep in mind they all have rev rates 500+.

unclemantis
02-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Spare ball? What spare ball?

I suck at bowling
02-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Spare ball? What spare ball?

Hey man. High Rev players like you and me need spare balls.

I was lazy and just got mine, lol.

unclemantis
02-28-2013, 07:42 PM

I was lazy and just got mine, lol.

I don't think I am a HIGH rev player. more along the lines of a MID.

Greenday
02-28-2013, 07:43 PM

Everyone needs a spare ball.

I throw mine on burnt up lanes. I can hook it from the ten board into the pocket when the lanes are dry no problem.

unclemantis
02-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Everyone needs a spare ball.

I throw mine on burnt up lanes. I can hook it from the ten board into the pocket when the lanes are dry no problem.

That is when I just grab a house ball.

My nephew gets a kick out of the way i throw the ball. He uses the 6 pound house balls and every time I go up and if we are together he wants me to use his ball. LOL. It is fun :) he is also my official towel boy too. :)

Greenday
02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
I can't use house balls. If the ball doesn't feel right in my hand, I can't throw it right. I'm actually having molds made of the thumbhole of my Frantic since it's perfect. I'm going to have the other four drilled exactly like it.

unclemantis
02-28-2013, 08:35 PM
I can't use house balls. If the ball doesn't feel right in my hand, I can't throw it right. I'm actually having molds made of the thumbhole of my Frantic since it's perfect. I'm going to have the other four drilled exactly like it.

Picky Picky!

mxjosh
02-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Havent used one on league but I practiced with just my spare ball yesterday. Shot 236, 189, and 214. had great pin carry. Don't know if I am brave enuff to try it in league.

Greenday
02-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Picky Picky!

My coach are a lot alike in this. If things don't feel right, they won't go right.

I suck at bowling
02-28-2013, 09:38 PM
My coach are a lot alike in this. If things don't feel right, they won't go right.

Amen.

The difference I feel between my spare ball now verses the old house ball I used to throw is amazing.

Day and night almost.

Greenday
02-28-2013, 10:30 PM
House balls hurt my thumb. Edges are too rough. I have thumb slugs that are beveled out to my liking in all my balls. Very soft on the thumb.

e-tank
02-28-2013, 11:13 PM
House balls hurt my thumb. Edges are too rough. I have thumb slugs that are beveled out to my liking in all my balls. Very soft on the thumb.

i got my first thumb slug put in my HRR and im hooked

Tokes
03-01-2013, 01:44 AM

Exactly I can't throw a houseball anymore either. I tried like 2 months ago when my finger insert flew out of my backlash never to be seen again. Fit issues and just couldn't throw it right.

I used just my spare ball a couple of times mostly if i get fustrated (very rarely nowadays). Once in awhile if I have a date ( cause chicks love that cosmic bowling) I show up with just that cause it glows, their drunk, and I look cool to them (girls not in the know). lol

Tampabaybob
03-01-2013, 08:44 PM
House balls....... drilled to fit 50 people and have hundreds if not thousands of games on them.....leave 'em on the rack !

Spare balls........ when all else fails.....pul it out and use it. In most cases on burned lanes they'll hook just the right amount !

billf
03-01-2013, 11:47 PM
I know several people that will throw plastic on short/dry lanes and bowl great. No carry issues what so ever.

Keep in mind they all have rev rates 500+.

My rev rate isn't that high so I just slow the ball speed down to about 14 mph

ecub
03-02-2013, 03:37 AM
You can use whatever ball you that you think will create more strikes. I know there were times where I've used my plastic ball and threw better strikes, than my strike ball. I just felt like I wasn't fully utilizing my $250 ball, so instead of using the better ball (plastic) to throw the strikes, I stuck with the more expensive strike ball to TRY and manage to throw strikes :D