PDA

View Full Version : prob a dumb question ( deep cleaning)

noeymc
03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
but if i deep clean a peral bowling ball ( roto grip shatter) by giving it a bath would that mess it up? i have a space heater i could set it next to and just keep turning it if that would be better but i am not sure cuz that was the first peral ball i owned so i really dont know

e-tank
03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
As far as i know you can give any ball a bath. I never had success with the bath method but the hot air or oven method is amazing imo. I put mine in a box and cut a hole for a hair drier and pointed it at one of the walls, sealed up the box and turned the hair drier on for 10 min intervals until the ball stopped sweating. Im sure the space heater thing would work. If youre feeling crafty i think it was edpup that made a thread here on his take of a ball oven

swingset
03-01-2013, 03:32 PM
You'll have MUCH more success sweating the oil out of a pearl ball if you sand it down to 300 grit to open up the pores on the surface, then once you've got it to quit leeching oil re-sand it to OOB+polish.

GeoLes
03-01-2013, 04:02 PM
I call this the Haloween thread. It all sounds so scary to experiment with my ball like that. I have been sucessful with the hot bath (A bit hot to touch, but not boiling). I use hot tap water and a little dishwashing soap in the basment sink. Place ball in until oil floats to top. Drain, wipe with clean towel, New batch of soap water, repeat. Final wipe, let air dry, finish off with denatured alcohol. Apply polish to smooth balls, nothing more for resin finished balls, I am good to go.

ecub
03-01-2013, 04:27 PM
The only thing with a space heater is you can't regulate the heat. It's normally recommended to not go about 150° F, though most people try to stay around 120° F. If you do use it, you would have to rotate it very often, otherwise, you'll be creating a hot spot, while the other side cools down. But as mentioned, I wouldn't use a new ball. I'd rather experiment with an old ball or maybe a garbage ball, so if it cracks, you have nothing to worry about.

billf
03-01-2013, 05:13 PM
To answer your original question, yes you can soak pearl balls or any other ball for that matter.

noeymc
03-02-2013, 12:05 AM
thanks bill that was the answer i needed =D

Juice
03-03-2013, 12:29 AM
but if i deep clean a peral bowling ball ( roto grip shatter) by giving it a bath would that mess it up? i have a space heater i could set it next to and just keep turning it if that would be better but i am not sure cuz that was the first peral ball i owned so i really dont know

bath = soaking in hot water.
space heater/hair dryer = bake (redneck style).

You can de-oil a pearl ball.

It won't "mess it up" if you keep the temp around 120 - 130 (soak is better, since water heaters don't go above that).
I've fixed more than a couple of balls b/c they left their ball next to their space heater/wood/coal stove too long and it cracked the cover.

Proper way is to sand the polish off to open the pores of the cover, bake/soak, then bring the surface back (as close as you/your proshop can) to oob specs.

noeymc
03-03-2013, 12:42 AM
bath = soaking in hot water.
space heater/hair dryer = bake (redneck style).

You can de-oil a pearl ball.

It won't "mess it up" if you keep the temp around 120 - 130 (soak is better, since water heaters don't go above that).
I've fixed more than a couple of balls b/c they left their ball next to their space heater/wood/coal stove too long and it cracked the cover.

Proper way is to sand the polish off to open the pores of the cover, bake/soak, then bring the surface back (as close as you/your proshop can) to oob specs.

i do the bath i just said the heater cuz i have one and i know someone on my team who does it and i wasn't sure if a pearl ball would get messed up in a bath

ecub
03-03-2013, 02:55 AM
De-oiling bowling balls via heater, kitchen oven, hair dryer, may work, but long term use may damage the ball.