PDA

View Full Version : Question about cores of lighter balls

e-tank
03-01-2013, 01:11 PM
From what i understand most companys change the core of the ball when the weight goes below 14. For example on the brunswick site they say they use a generic core but the ball still comes close to the same RG as the heavier balls. What do they mean by generic core? A bulb core? Also for example for the case of lets say a HRR which has a asymmetric core, would the ball still have a asymmetric generic core when it goes below 14?

The reason im asking is because my friend who throws a 12lb slingshot currently is looking for a new ball that delivers more of a punch to which i suggested a ball with a stronger core but as stated above i found out that a 12lb ball would have a generic core and not one that the heavier balls use so it would not have the same effect correct?

noeymc
03-01-2013, 02:12 PM
its just wont react the same if i am not mistake i might be wrong so please dont quote me

billf
03-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Rather than take a chance that one or any of us has the wrong information, why not e-mail one of the ball companies and see what they say. From what I've read the generic core would produce a different reaction but I have no clue how different. Any chance your friend can move up a pound or two?

e-tank
03-01-2013, 05:51 PM
i did recommend that i get a used 14 for her to try out and see if shes comfortable throwing it and she was game. Although i think before that im going to try and get her to increase ball speed with her current 12lb ball because she throws about 10mph and see if that cant resolve her hitting power issue. Ill shoot one of the companies and email. Thanks Bill

billf
03-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Good luck. If you want any help just let me know. Any chance you could record her? bowlerz_score@yahoo.com

e-tank
03-01-2013, 06:08 PM
ill see if shes okay with me recording her. Her main problem is that she has a non existent back swing. Her arm starts off straight before beginning the approach but then she collapses at the elbow, then swings it back a little bit then straightens it out to release it if that makes sense. Its basically if you were standing and you went to reach in your back pocket then went to give someone a low 5 in front of you

e-tank
03-01-2013, 06:13 PM
I semi got my answer atleast in regard to storm balls. On their site they show to cores of the 14-16 vs the 12-13. It just looks like the core is less beefy. Im still gonna email about ball motion though.

James The Bowler
03-01-2013, 07:44 PM
I semi got my answer atleast in regard to storm balls. On their site they show to cores of the 14-16 vs the 12-13. It just looks like the core is less beefy. Im still gonna email about ball motion though.

Yah, I have looked at that also, and the core looks sort of the same but just not as sharp if you understand what I'm saying. It is not as..... prominent? Brunswick is the same way as well, I believe. But I cannot tell you exactly about the ball motion because I am unsure of that as well. When you get a reply back, would you be kind and post on the thread what was said please? I am interested as well (even though I throw a 14 pounder)

sukeetoshyoo88
03-01-2013, 11:33 PM
the generic core thing is the reason why i told my friend to get a 14lbs ball.
he thought it was too heavy and he couldn't really get a cup on the ball, even though it was fit for his hand and feels lighter then a house 13lbs.
he now throws a back-up ball, and throws that a lot better then a regular hook.
but, i always feel kind of guilty for pushing him towards the 14lbs....

ecub
03-02-2013, 05:36 PM
I was watching, I think, How's it's made on how the make bowling balls. I know the weight blocks are the same shape between all balls, it's the resins that make up the weight block make the difference. They either add/remove resins to make it heavier/lighter, but the weight block shape usually remains the same.

e-tank
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
got a reply from storm:

"Hello,

In the asymmetrical balls, we try and use the same “shape” weight block, but because the materials are lighter in order to make the ball weight less, the tech numbers do change and typically get slightly weaker. Hitting power comes from the total weight of the ball and ball reaction on the lane, not the weight block. But typically lighter balls won’t have as much potential as the heavier ones."

Im not expert but i dont agree with the part about how hitting power comes from the weight of the ball and the reaction. Maybe this ties into the reaction category but my HRR hits harder than any ball i have. Theyre all the same weight minus my spare ball. In my mind i was attributing this to the asymmetrical core seeing as my HRR and too reckless have the same 2000 grit finish currently.

steven408
03-11-2013, 04:51 AM
go with ebonite cyclone, same core every weight

backlasher
03-11-2013, 06:19 AM
I sent an email to 900 Global about the cores in lighter balls a week ago and no reply yet.

unclemantis
03-11-2013, 08:29 AM
I sent an email to 900 Global about the cores in lighter balls a week ago and no reply yet.

They are most likely either not the same weight block as 14 to 16 lb balls. They are either a modified version of the weight block used or just a pancake block.

I have a 13lb ball and the same weight block shape is used in it than the ones 14 and up do.

unclemantis
03-11-2013, 08:30 AM
got a reply from storm:

"Hello,

In the asymmetrical balls, we try and use the same “shape” weight block, but because the materials are lighter in order to make the ball weight less, the tech numbers do change and typically get slightly weaker. Hitting power comes from the total weight of the ball and ball reaction on the lane, not the weight block. But typically lighter balls won’t have as much potential as the heavier ones."

Im not expert but i dont agree with the part about how hitting power comes from the weight of the ball and the reaction. Maybe this ties into the reaction category but my HRR hits harder than any ball i have. Theyre all the same weight minus my spare ball. In my mind i was attributing this to the asymmetrical core seeing as my HRR and too reckless have the same 2000 grit finish currently.

If you don't think weight plays a part, trying throwing a 6lb kiddie ball down the lane and see how fast the ball deflects to the end pins! Weight is a factor but it is a balance of everything else too.

CeKnauss
03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
There are several main factors involved in ball reaction: ball weight, coverstock strength, volume and distribution of oil, surface condition on the lane, physical release of the bowler, and to a lesser degree, weight block. As stated, as the weight of the ball lessens, core shape or density must be sacrificed to keep the ball dynamically balanced.

In this case, you are most worried about the ball's weight and core shape. As the ball gets lighter, the ball is not able to create as much friction with the lane surface, resulting in a lesser ability to grip the lane and change direction. Studies by USBC, Mo Pinel, and others, have determined about 70% of ball motion is due to the coverstock, and only 20-25% due to the core. Typically, the core is designed with the intent to slow the ball down and allow the coverstock to do its work, thus it is more important to have a balance between coverstock and core density than it is to have the exact same core in a lighter ball (this would actually change the dynamics of the ball and make it hook differently than a heavier ball with the same core, which is why a 14lb ball will hook differently [usually later and quicker] than a 16lb version of the same ball if all other conditions are the same).

I've had 14lb and 15lb versions of both the Evil Siege and C-System 3.5. Each pair had the same core, but the 14lb always seemed to be more skid-flippy.

e-tank
03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Very informative post ceknauss. I might be getting my friend a used 14lb Aura to see how she does with it

e-tank
03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
to update this thread as i was browsing brunswicks site, when you find a ball and click on the more information tab then click on the balls info sheet, it opens a pdf which gives information about the ball and also shows pics of the cores including the lighter balls. I looked at both the aura and nexxus p+r and the lighter balls both had bulb cores in 12-13