PDA

View Full Version : If Modern 14 Pound Balls Hit as Hard as Old 16 Pound balls.....

Rdmonster
03-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Do modern 16 pound balls hit harder than...? I don't know...20 pounders..lol

OK..seems a fair question and I know that alot of what happens in the pit has to do with entry angle and revs....ball speed etc. But if all things are equal then the 16 pounder tops them all...maybe not by much and certainly not for everyone...I've thought about this because I got my brother a 14# Freeze for christmas and thought maybe if I had some money to throw around (I don't usually) I might get a lighter ball to try out.

I'm generally squashing that idea because I dont have any problems related to the weight of a 16# ball (that I can see) and I know I get more carry out of the heavier ball. My brothers drilling is close enough to mine to throw his when I want and I get less action in the pit on fliush hits.

Thought I'd throw this out there because the notion that 14 pounders these days hit with the same power as a Urethane 16# has got me thinking ....my 16# balls must be nuclear bombs!!!

GeorgiaStroker
03-01-2013, 03:53 PM
All things being equal (core design,drilling layout, speed, revs, entry angle, axis tilt, etc...) the 16 lb would have less tendency to deflect off the pins and could cause more pin mixing, but by the same token the 16 lb ball also has to overcome a greater amount of inertia to make that turn into the proper entry angle. That would require more effort on the part of the bowler so ther is a trade off. Personally, I went to 15 lbs due to rotator cuff issues and 14 lbs for my spare ball and my scores are better than when I threw a 16 lb ball. If I had the physical ability to throw a 16 lb ball and create the same conditions as I do currently would my score improve? Maybe but I don't see it making a huge difference, and it's certainly not worth ruining my shoulder over. But as with all things, YMMV.

Hammer
03-01-2013, 05:20 PM
If you want to see a video on ball weights look at talkbowling.com episode 101. Tony Ruocco talks about it. Tony also says that he uses a 14# bowling ball for his first shot and goes down to a 12# for certain spares. I use a 14# urethane Blue Hammer because arthritis in my wrist made that happen. I used to use a 16# Blue Hammer and eventually couldn't control that weight. Went down to a 15# Raw Hammer Anger resin and eventually didn't have enough speed to make it work right on our THS pattern. So I went to the Blue Hammerand found it easier to control and was easier on my wrist and fingertips. If you can keep your wrist straight or a little cupped with a 16# ball then have at it. If you can maybe just for the heck of it try a 15# ball and even a 14# ball to see if those fit your style and ball speed and rev rate. At least you will see what kind of reaction you get from each one as long as the coverstock and layout are the same.
Maybe you would end up liking the feel of the 14# ball.

billf
03-01-2013, 05:26 PM
The question was a modern 14 lbs ball versus an older generation 16 lbs ball, not your modern 16 lbs ball.
Most bowlers can create more speed and revs with the lighter weight which is great with a reactive resin ball. Lift and accuracy were more important with the older urethane balls. The added weight slowed down some swings increasing accuracy and just lifting is easier than lifting and rotating accurately.

Rdmonster
03-01-2013, 05:44 PM
The question was a modern 14 lbs ball versus an older generation 16 lbs ball, not your modern 16 lbs ball.
Most bowlers can create more speed and revs with the lighter weight which is great with a reactive resin ball. Lift and accuracy were more important with the older urethane balls. The added weight slowed down some swings increasing accuracy and just lifting is easier than lifting and rotating accurately.

You are right Bill...that was the comparison...I merely extrapolated..maybe a lighter ball to play with for my birthday this summer. For now my thumb and hand feel better than they have all season with the change in spans and my average continues to climb.

My shoulder and elbow only hurt a little when I try to muscle it which never works anyway.