PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Shop and intro Questions

Gunz1911
03-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Hey all,

First time poster but I have been stalking most of the forums to try and get tips on the game. I have a decent bowling alley not to far from my house, but the Pro-shop is very small. Mostly they carry about 15 different balls and some shoes, Most items they will order for you.

I bought my first ball there, a DV8 Misfit and also got it drilled there. This being my first ball, at the time I didn't realize all the different things I should have known prior to buying one. The ball was 13.5lbs before I got it drilled, I normally would use a 12lb house ball but throw it completely different. The layout seems like he just used a generic one. The pin is basically just above and between my finger holes. I had him put in finger tip inserts and off I went.

After dozens of game this is what I have come up with:
1. I tore the crap out of my thumb because I would grip with it slightly, Had the pro-shop open it up a few times. After reading some of the forums here I believe I really needed to have it oval shaped not circular. Right now I actually use a thumb protector (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/bowlingballcom/10025/Thumb-Protector-Right-Handed.html) and it is the only thing saving my thumb. My thumb is being rubbed on right side, where the joint is.

2. Needing to try a heavier ball. Currently I am muscling the heck out of the ball. However when I try to let gravity do all the work it doesn't seem to get any speed on it.

Now after the small intro, I guess I should get to my questions for the post. I plan to get a heavier ball and I am not sure if I want to take it back to my bowling alley to have them drill it or not. I have gone on bowlingball.com and searched for pro-shops and that one doesn't come up.

Now for questions!
1. Would I be better to find a certified pro-shop and take in my new and old ball to see if they can get me better on track?
2. Being so new, should I really worry about PAP and layout? as I need to really get my consistency down before the ball rolls the same anyway.
3. I am in Bloomington, IN which is about 50 miles south of Indianapolis. Does anyone know of a good pro-shop they would recommend? I am willing to drive up to an hour or two. Figure I can bowl anywhere, but wanna get my gear done correctly.

That's it for now, I have a whole lot more to come. I plan to take some videos of me bowling, cause I know there is a lot I need fixed. Luckily I have a friend who is very good coming down at the end of the month to help me out.

Thanks all!!

GeorgiaStroker
03-01-2013, 09:16 PM
I would certainly recommend you try a heavier ball if you have no physical limitations that would prevent it. I use a 15 lb. strike ball and a 14 lb. spare ball and find that they work really well for my style and ability. We were discussing in another thread about older urethane balls not being as hard hitting pound for pound as modern resin balls are so I don't really see the need for using a 16 lb. ball anymore. More and more of the pros are using lighter equipment these days too. Still 14 lbs. is as light as I would recommend unless your stature or physical ability precludes that. As for the pro shop, it is always best to find a driller who wants you to be happy rather than just selling what is overstocked or overpriced that month. He should be willing to look at you bowl or at least ask about what style you are, what line you prefer to play and what the conditions are at the house you use most often whether it is his house or not. I also had problems with my thumb until I found a driller that told me I needed an oval thumb hole and it made all the difference. Ask the better bowlers in your area where they get their equipment drilled and shop around until you find someone that clicks with you. Good luck.

billf
03-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Woodland lanes in Indianapolis has a decent pro shop. unfortunately that's the only one I personally know of in Indiana.
Unless your thumb is actually round (most aren't) then I would recommend an oval thumb sleeve. Any real rubbing is a concern and needs to be addressed. It would be worth showing the driller what's happening and seeing if they can fix the issue. If you get the run around then shop around.

Welcome to the forum!

rand
03-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Im a newbie bowler and just bought a 15lb misfit and had it drilled.It went great as far as their professionalism with measuring my hand and so on.They are horrible at communication but thats ok they make up for it in other ways.It took me talking with 4 different pro shops though to figure out which one I should go with.

ecub
03-02-2013, 03:02 AM
Here's some info regarding thumb fitting...
http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fitting.html

Gunz1911
03-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Bill,
Would you say the Woodland Pro-shop would be worth going to? It's about an hour and half away from me, but I am willing to drive it to get set up. It also looks like they have 3 other bowling alleys that are slightly closer, but the Woodland one seems to be the main one. It looks like they have decent leagues too, The bowling alley at my house isn't that big with no open spots, sadly.

billf
03-02-2013, 08:11 PM
From the little bit of dealings I've had at Woodland, yes they are worth going to. I was hoping some of the others here from Indy would have chimed in.

billf
03-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Here's some info regarding thumb fitting...
http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fitting.html

Thank you! Something useful fom Jayhawk besides sponsoring Krystal Scott years ago.

panbanger
03-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Hey all,

After dozens of game this is what I have come up with:
1. I tore the crap out of my thumb because I would grip with it slightly, Had the pro-shop open it up a few times. After reading some of the forums here I believe I really needed to have it oval shaped not circular. Right now I actually use a thumb protector (http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/bowlingballcom/10025/Thumb-Protector-Right-Handed.html) and it is the only thing saving my thumb. My thumb is being rubbed on right side, where the joint is.

It sounds like this is your first fingertip ball. I had a problem with wrecking my thumb after my first fingertip grip too. From what I've learned on these forums, making the thumb hole larger will only cause you to grip the ball more, which is what is hurting your thumb in the first place.

Gunz1911
03-03-2013, 12:22 AM
This is my first ball all together and a friend of mine told me to go for the finger tips and learn that way. Next week I am going to try and take some videos of me bowling and post them here. My friend who bowls a lot is gonna spend the weekend at my house at the end of the month and give me a few lessons so hopefully that will help a lot. My main problem for my grip I am having at the moment is trying to grip the ball with my finger tips into the base of my fingers, or putting my entire palm on the ball. When I do that it feels like my finger inserts need to be turned slightly. Could just be me though.