PDA

View Full Version : Bowled my way out of a slump!

RoccoRock
03-01-2013, 09:49 PM
I've been bowling like garbage since the start of the current league season. I only had one 600 series in the first half of the season, and then started the second half like garbage as well. As usual, I went back and forth between a few styles, which some people believe was the cause of my issues. I said I couldn't decide if I wanted to just stop bowling, and only bowl on league nights, or just bowl 1000 games and figure it out. I took the 1000 games route. Despite peoples suggestions, I split the games between a traditional one hand thumb in the ball delivery, and a two handed delivery. I put in hours of work on each, breaking down film frame by frame. At one point it looked like the harder I worked, the worse the result.

A few weeks ago I took to the lanes, two handed. My bowling shoes fell apart, and I bowled in sneakers. Had a good series, but it was all because of one game, where I strung 8 in a row and 2 of those were Brooklyn. The following week, I warmed up half one hand, half two hand. Bowled the league two handed, and this time a much more even series, good, but still not brilliant. Last week, I practiced 3 warmup games before league, all one hand. I decided to switch to two hand in the league. According to most, that was a huge mistake right? Stick with one thing, right? I bowled very well that night, and posted my second 600 of the season. This week, I had a great practice Monday night, again screwing up :rolleyes: by bowling both one handed and two handed. Bowled well one handed, and great two handed that practice. Last night, bowled my warmup game one hand, and the league two hand and had my best night of the season. So now, after only posting one 600 in 24 weeks, I've posted back to back 600's Too bad I don't know what I am doing.

So I busted out of a slump by bowling an insane amount of games, and being versatile. Oh, and the turning point just may have been when my garbage 3G shoes fell apart, and I bowled a league night in my sneakers. BTW, anyone want to buy a brand new pair of 3G sport deluxe shoes, new in box. No, ok, they're on the way to Ebay.

billf
03-01-2013, 11:41 PM
I have often broke out of slumps by bowling left-handed. Humans are weird a what makes things work for each of us can be truly strange.
Two things for the record: 1. I'm all for bowling an insane amount of games 2. Wasn't I one of the few who said work on both deliveries for versatility but use whatever you had more fun with?

mxjosh
03-02-2013, 01:15 AM
I don't have the option to bowl two handed. I'd hurt myself. Left handed? no way lol.

Im trying the 1000 games approach but damn if I'd made any progress.

Glad u finally got a good feeling back and posting better scores.

RoccoRock
03-02-2013, 03:14 AM
Yes Bill, you have been telling me for a while I should stick with both. Developing two games at once may slow down development, and night not be ideal for most, but you have to keep in mind the insane amount of games I throw in a week. If I was bowling 10 games a week, and doing both then working on booth would show down my development. However, the fact that I bowl the equivalent to a few hundred games a week each way gives me plenty of time to work on two things at once

billf
03-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Not only does it give you a versatility most will never have, it helps to keep things from getting boring. Plus you said a few months ago that you had more fun two-handed but wanted to be a "real" bowler and use one hand. I applaud you for wanting to learn how to be conventional in an unconventional world but it's a sport and all sports are suppose to be fun. Besides, think of how much money you could sucker from people by throwing killer strikes both ways.

RoccoRock
03-02-2013, 08:25 AM
I was talking to my teammate last night about the whole "real bowler" thing I was saying months ago. I told him this is the first time that I am fully comfortable being a two hander. I am a real bowler, I just use two hands. Anyone who doesn't like it should tune into ESPN on Sundays an see who most people think is the best bowler in the world right now. I used to say I was ashamed to talk to my friend about bowling. He studied under Parker Bohn, and I was an idiot palm bowler, or a two hander. Now, I can't wait to talk to him again, because I want to see if he can help me get even better two handed. My future teammate, who has a very nice, classic style, and has the highest average in the league. Over the summer he told me he liked the way I threw the ball with my thumb in better, even though my average was higher without my thumb. Thursday he told me he watched me practicing, and he said he liked the way I bowl two handed better.

I plan on hitting some local tourneys here while my handicap is so high. If I can keep bowling this way, I can make some good cash in those tourneys, until they make me re establish my average. Even then, if I keep getting better I'll still have an advantage.