PDA

View Full Version : Slide Soles - A Happy Accident

The German Shepherd
03-02-2013, 09:58 AM
The other week in my Wednesday AM Seniors' League the approach on one lane was soooo slippery that I changes the sliding sole on my SST8 from a #8 (long sliding) sole to a #6 (still a sliding sole but lesser) as I figured I would need to nearly "plant" instead of slide. What I found out was that the #6 gave me a very secure feeling - very solid and stable. With my practice on balance at the line and the new sole i am feeling much more secure at the line as my slide has been reduced by about 50%.

My favorite combo now is a #5 heel and a #6 sole...

Jay

billf
03-02-2013, 08:19 PM
I use a Chris Barnes trick and cut my soles in half. One half is a 10 the other an 8. It's still not enough for a real long slide but that's probably due to my being 200 pounds.

ecub
03-04-2013, 07:51 AM
The other week in my Wednesday AM Seniors' League the approach on one lane was soooo slippery that I changes the sliding sole on my SST8 from a #8 (long sliding) sole to a #6 (still a sliding sole but lesser) as I figured I would need to nearly "plant" instead of slide. What I found out was that the #6 gave me a very secure feeling - very solid and stable. With my practice on balance at the line and the new sole i am feeling much more secure at the line as my slide has been reduced by about 50%.

My favorite combo now is a #5 heel and a #6 sole...

Jay

I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. I normally use #6, and got used to slide then skipping, instead of sliding through. One day, the soles got wet and I only had #8 available. I had a hart time adjust, but after a few frames, I was liking it allot more. I was more accurate, since I got rid of the skipping.

scottymoney
03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
I use a Chris Barnes trick and cut my soles in half. One half is a 10 the other an 8. It's still not enough for a real long slide but that's probably due to my being 200 pounds.

Lol I thought about the old fairytale of cutting the girl in half when I read this!

I did get a new pair of dexter Seth's and I see a much better improvement in my slide and I don't stick as much. Moral of the story replace shoes more often if you don't have the interchangeable soles or try to keep them clean.