PDA

View Full Version : What's your strategy when you just can't find your game?

Bendial
03-03-2013, 07:44 PM
And every shot doesn't go right. Had a night like that at league a few weeks ago, and then today. I couldn't even break 100. Ugh.

bowl1820
03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
What's your strategy when you just can't find your game?

When your lost you go back to the basic's. Don't get fancy, straighten the shot out some and keep the ball in play.

ecub
03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I switch to the other bowling ball.

SmilingBowler
03-03-2013, 09:04 PM
I do a combo of each. If I can't find my line my first two practice balls on a lane, I switch balls.
No time to waste.

But in the case that conditions start breaking down in the middle of a game, I may try just shooting it straight, unless we're behind and in need of strikes, in which case, I'll go to another ball and hope for the best. This has worked well about 70% of the time; other times it has taken two or more shots on each lane to find the line, like in practice.. which is the few times it doesn't quite work as soon as I'd like.

swingset
03-03-2013, 09:11 PM
What helps me immeasurably is to walk away from the lanes...I take a little walk in between frames and do some arm circles (loosens up the shoulder, tightness is so often at the culprit of a bad game). Breath, relax, clear my head. Get something to drink and come back.

9 times out of 10 it loosens me up mentally and physically.

striker12
03-03-2013, 09:22 PM
well if i can keep the ball on the lane and knock down some pins and able to make the spares im all good because spares make a good game

DrOcktagon
03-03-2013, 09:43 PM
I get mad, throw a temper tantrum, punch an innocent trash can, whisper some profanities into the thumb hole of the ball in question and chuck it into the closest lake. That'll be the last time that ball ever gives me trouble. Then I grab my other ball and let it know what I just did to it's brother.

One of these days those stupid balls will learn not to mess with me.....one of these days.

SmilingBowler
03-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I get mad, throw a temper tantrum, punch an innocent trash can, whisper some profanities into the thumb hole of the ball in question and chuck it into the closest lake. That'll be the last time that ball ever gives me trouble. Then I grab my other ball and let it know what I just did to it's brother.

One of these days those stupid balls will learn not to mess with me.....one of these days.

LOL!

(shakes "other" fist at old ball at it sails through the air headed into the lake)

=FADE TO BLACK=

SmilingBowler
03-03-2013, 10:05 PM
then audible "splooooosh!" sound effect plays as character unzips bowling bag to retrieve "next victim".

SmilingBowler
03-03-2013, 10:09 PM
That method works well in a hollywood script.

I'd direct that movie. Not so sure it'll help the OP @Bendial with a new strategy, however.

Sometimes, we just have to straighten up the shot, stand nearer to the edge and throw at 3 (Righty) or 2 (Lefty) to give the ball room to come back, because we all know it won't come back after ending up in the bottom of a lake. (: .)

billf
03-03-2013, 10:16 PM
I ask my team if they see anything wrong then I just keep trying. First I go to my trusted go to ball, play like a Stroker and pray like a Roman Catholic priest.

noeymc
03-04-2013, 02:13 AM
i take 3 deep breaths say relax hit what your looking at and whatever happens happens

ecub
03-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Start drinking heavier!

swingset
03-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Start drinking heavier!

This is of course the correct answer. That's why the bar is right there by the lanes.

scottymoney
03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
I tend to throw the ball harder but play less hook. If all else fails try using brute force!

Gunz1911
03-04-2013, 11:24 AM
I havn't been bowling long enough to get into those tight situations where others are counting on you, as I am not on a league yet. But when I am practicing and I just keep messing up, I tend to force myself to smile and start whistling. Clears my head and makes me think about something else, while letting the body do what it does.

maximumslinky
03-04-2013, 11:28 AM
go to the bar, order a single shot of whiskey, try to relax my body and slow down. when i am really having a hard time i find that slowing my approach and my swing down really helps and the whiskey helps my body not be so tense. when i bowl badly, i get frustrated and my muscles tense up.

e-tank
03-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Start drinking heavier!

i like your style.

Zothen
03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
When things don't go right,I just use that game as a practice game and hope things get better! If nothing is working period,i'll just pretend i'm practicing and chaulk the games up to having 1 of those nights where nothing is going to work. No sence in forcing things to work!

Zothen

J Anderson
03-04-2013, 01:45 PM
because we all know it won't come back after ending up in the bottom of a lake. (: .)

And where do you think that DV8 Zombie ball come from?

Bendial
03-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Lol great replies, thank you all! Here are my takeaways:

1) Smiling, whistling to yourself to cheer yourself up
2) Shot of whiskey, probably definitely better than slamming beer after beer. Beer makes me tired and lazy lol.
3) Just start throwing it hard and straight and stop trying to hook so much.

Kobra167
03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
If the A game isnt working. Pull out the B game and move right. If that doesn't work, go to C game. Get soft and move left. C game doesn't work, go go D game and get deep inside. All four strategies not working. Drink Rum, pick up plastic ball throw up the pike. Try again next week.

SmilingBowler
03-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Start drinking heavier!

This is that one thing I wasn't doing Monday Night... and it showed, as I shot a 431. LOL!

Maybe if I had just one beer I would've made my average one stinking game.

We'll never know.

One thing I could've done, but never did, was just throw the damn ball at the head pin as fast as I could and hope for the best. But I usually only do that if I don't have 100 pins by the 9th frame.

ArtVandelay
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
The late great Leslie Nielsen would say the key isnt to make your game BETTER, but to make your opponents game worse! Before every game, I like to point out how awesome a 300 would be. I might ask someone, "is it me, or does that left lane feel extra slick in the plant area tonight? Be careful!"

When all else fails, make your opponent question their equipment. "Oh, I see you went pin high with that ball. I hear they designed it for more a mid lane read, but Im sure your driller knows more than me..."

Oh wait... He was talking about golf! Nevermind.....

Tampabaybob
03-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Lol great replies, thank you all! Here are my takeaways:

1) Smiling, whistling to yourself to cheer yourself up
2) Shot of whiskey, probably definitely better than slamming beer after beer. Beer makes me tired and lazy lol.
3) Just start throwing it hard and straight and stop trying to hook so much.

Although some of these are pretty good ideas, Bowl1820 hit the nail on the head. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, go back to your basic game. Try to clear your head of any negative thoughts (this is part of the mental game) and try to do what your body wants to do that's natural. (and that doesn't mean walking out of the bowling center..LOL)

Additionally, 98% of the time, if you having a crappy nite you are probably missing your target, whether its an arrow or a spot on the lane. WHY you ask????? Because 98% of bowlers will lift there eyes off of their target "A MICRO SECOND" before they release their ball. As I've said in many threads before, "YOU CANT HIT WHAT YOU DONT SEE !!" You MUST be watching your target as the ball rolls over it to be accurate. It would be like bowling blindfolded if you look up from that spot. Get it ?? Accuracy is the three most important things in this game. If you can't hit your spot you're gonna be in trouble.

Beyond that, read the passage below my signature and that may calm you down. Good luck and hang in there.

hoppy1605
03-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Totally classic!! I use this approach all the time. I guess thats why my pro shop guy loves me, lol!

ecub
03-08-2013, 09:01 PM
I don't know. If I drink heavy enough, I see 20-30 pins. I only have to hit 10 of them :D

aussiedave
03-11-2013, 04:26 PM
And every shot doesn't go right. Had a night like that at league a few weeks ago, and then today. I couldn't even break 100. Ugh.
Try rolling the ball on the center part of the lane. I come at it from the left hand side of center and let it drift out to the right a bit. This keeps it on the middle of the lane as much as possible for me. I find it doesn't hook as much and as long as you don't hit right on the nose you're good.
If you're having a bad night, then you really need the spares - this is where the most versatile players still get close to their average even in a "bad" session - which is really just the conditions not suiting their style.
Happens to most every now and then.
ad.

SmilingBowler
03-12-2013, 01:48 AM
Try rolling the ball on the center part of the lane. I come at it from the left hand side of center and let it drift out to the right a bit. This keeps it on the middle of the lane as much as possible for me. I find it doesn't hook as much and as long as you don't hit right on the nose you're good.
If you're having a bad night, then you really need the spares - this is where the most versatile players still get close to their average even in a "bad" session - which is really just the conditions not suiting their style.
Happens to most every now and then.
ad.

Like AD said in the post below, spares are a huge part of the game. I wasn't terrible tonight. I just needed to pick up my spares. If I had made my single pin spares and two-pin spares (splits excluded) I likely could have made my average both of the first two games. To see my scoresheet, look in the most popular thread, titled: POST YOUR SCORES HERE! (: .)

ecub
03-12-2013, 02:42 AM
In all seriousness, if I can't find my game, I change my line. I normally like to do an Out & In shot, if it's not carrying or not working, I change to a Down & In. I usually find this work. From this point on, I move a board left or right for minor adjustments to hit strikes. Usually after a few frames or maybe by the next game, I can change to an Out & In shot.

ecub
03-12-2013, 02:53 AM
Unable to edit my previous post, so here goes....

As an example on my 1st game tonight, I had an 86 by the 7th frame. I had allot of splits and opens. Had issues with the approach being sticky as well as the lanes were oily. So I struggled. I finally felt comfortable with my slide, so I had to work on my release. I was shooting out and in, so I decided to go down and in. PERFECT MOVE. 8th frame, strike. Even though it was a strike, the shot was a little high, so I made a slight adjustment. Strike on the 9th, 10th, 2nd ball on the 10th, and a 9 count on the filler on the 10th. I finished off with a 179. Not great for me, but I finally figured out the shot. Played a Down & In shot 2nd game and noticed it was starting to go high. Most of the bowlers were burning out the line where I wanted to shoot for Out & In, so I decided to shoot Out & In. 2nd game I shot a 237, 3rd game 236. Finished off with a 648 series.

75lockwood
03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
try a different ball, line, etc, make sure i leave makeable spares then make them

Tampabaybob
03-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Unable to edit my previous post, so here goes....

As an example on my 1st game tonight, I had an 86 by the 7th frame. I had allot of splits and opens. Had issues with the approach being sticky as well as the lanes were oily. So I struggled. I finally felt comfortable with my slide, so I had to work on my release. I was shooting out and in, so I decided to go down and in. PERFECT MOVE. 8th frame, strike. Even though it was a strike, the shot was a little high, so I made a slight adjustment. Strike on the 9th, 10th, 2nd ball on the 10th, and a 9 count on the filler on the 10th. I finished off with a 179. Not great for me, but I finally figured out the shot. Played a Down & In shot 2nd game and noticed it was starting to go high. Most of the bowlers were burning out the line where I wanted to shoot for Out & In, so I decided to shoot Out & In. 2nd game I shot a 237, 3rd game 236. Finished off with a 648 series.

Great finish to what started out to be pretty a miserable night. What readers should take away from your thread is a couple of vey important things....

1. You were paying VERY close attention as to where your ball was tracking, what reaction you were getting based on the oil conditions

2. Trying a different line that worked and paying attention, again, to when the oil started to break down and adjusting from there.

Great moves, excellent awareness of what's going on with the ball in relation to the oil, and most important being aware what the other bowlers were doing to the oil you were trying to use. This type of focus is what separates the good bowlers from the average bowler. Keeping your head in the game, being aware of what's going on, is a huge part of this game. If you're a casual bowler just out for a nite out, this probably doesn't apply to you. But if you really want to improve your game, this is a prime example of being mentally alert throughout all three games and it paid off in spades.

Thanks for sharing this with everyone because it's an excellent example of what you can do in adverse conditions. GREAT JOB !!

Hammer
04-07-2013, 12:34 PM
I throw my hands up in the air and give up big time. And then I take my ball and crash it into the ground and say a few cuss words.
Just kiddin'. I do the best I can that night and accept the fact that this is about as good as I can do that night. What sometimes gets my game going in the right direction is concentrating on visualizing the shot in my mind before I make it and then as I make my approach I focus on my hand during the swing to make sure it stays behind the ball all the way to the release point where my thumb comes out first and then my fingers make that little inside turn to put some good revs on the ball. You can't be a good bowler every time you bowl. Sometimes you just have to fight through a league night and do the best you can.

Greenday
04-07-2013, 07:18 PM
At this point, it's just focusing on my approach and release. If changing balls and lines won't work for me, I just make sure to throw a good ball and pickup the spare.

Tampabaybob
04-08-2013, 10:05 AM
At this point, it's just focusing on my approach and release. If changing balls and lines won't work for me, I just make sure to throw a good ball and pickup the spare.

This is also a very good response. When all else fails, get up on the approach and say to yourself, "JUST MAKE A GOOD SHOT". It's helped me many, many times.

BigErn32
04-08-2013, 12:08 PM
My answer if you cant get your game to work..... Drink

Kingpin

So Roy, where have you been for the last fifteen years?
Roy: Well, I uh, well, ya see, I uh... Drinking. Lot a drinking.
ESPN Announcer: I see. Well, are you still drinking?
Roy: No. I uh... I put... uh... Why, you buying?

stumblintowards100
04-15-2013, 02:12 PM

then audible "splooooosh!" sound effect plays as character unzips bowling bag to retrieve "next victim".

My answer if you cant get your game to work..... Drink

LOL, too funny! This is me to the T!!! When all else fails, buy a new ball! lol. Being that if I'm bowling, I'm already drinking, it becomes "drink MORE!" lol

TCJ
04-15-2013, 02:18 PM
If my game won't work, I try a variety of things such as changing ball speeds, changing the release, changing balls, and changing the line. If none of those seem like they'd help, I'll switch styles entirely. Usually I don't go cold for three games in a row.

ghetto24
04-16-2013, 09:08 PM
when I have tried everything and NOTHING is working I just focus on the cold beer and b.s. ing with my buddies. because at the end of the night, it was just league and there is always next week

Hammer
04-16-2013, 09:54 PM
This has to be one of the funniest posts. I like what ecub said: if I drink heavy enough I see 20-30 pins and I only have to hit 10 of them. I read all of the replies and couldn't stop laughing. What everyone should do is print out the replies of this post and then when you are having a bad night pause for a while and read the replies of this post, it just might loosen you up. Very funny guys. :cool:

Tampabaybob
04-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Yeah, it's amazing what some thoughts are on these subjects. I've bowled with guy's that loved to drink, and of course never had any chance of winning the league. LOL But we had fun.

noeymc
04-26-2013, 12:15 AM
ill move left and add a lot of revs