PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing my new ball (its going to be Urethane)

I suck at bowling
03-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Columbia 300 The Classic?
Storm Natural Pearl?
Brunswick Karma Urethane?
or Storm Polar Ice?

CeKnauss
03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Urethane isn't going to hook as much. That being said, each of these balls you have listed will have a slightly different core to modify the typical urethane reaction slightly.

First question: What do you expect and want from this ball?

I suck at bowling
03-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Urethane isn't going to hook as much. That being said, each of these balls you have listed will have a slightly different core to modify the typical urethane reaction slightly.

First question: What do you expect and want from this ball?

Just a ball I can play down and in with on medium oil, and something I can throw when the lanes dry up.

Mike White
03-05-2013, 04:34 PM
All those you listed except the Polar Ice have a core you can use to shape the ball path.
The Polar Ice just has a pancake weight block.

The down side of the balls listed, again excepting the Polar Ice, is the balls have a single color scheme making it difficult to see if the transition is completing before contacting the pins.

The Polar Ice has a multi-color scheme to make viewing the transition much easier, but the pancake weight block makes the transition much less likely to occur.

I suck at bowling
03-05-2013, 04:37 PM
All those you listed except the Polar Ice have a core you can use to shape the ball path.
The Polar Ice just has a pancake weight block.

The down side of the balls listed, again excepting the Polar Ice, is the balls have a single color scheme making it difficult to see if the transition is completing before contacting the pins.

The Polar Ice has a multi-color scheme to make viewing the transition much easier, but the pancake weight block makes the transition much less likely to occur.

So which one would you suggest?

I am 95% set on the Natural Pearl

billf
03-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Storm Natural Pearl! I love this ball. Only my opinion but it's the best urethane ball I've ever used. You may want to put a piece of white tape on it during practice sessions to see the balls reaction though.

Hammer
03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
I have the Hammer Blue Hammer urethane ball. I have it drilled to go long because I bowl on a THS pattern and sometimes conditions are dry and sometimes medium. As far as urethane hooking when the condition is on the dry or medium dry on league night I can put the arch of my slide foot on board 26 and belly the ball out at the break point on board 8 to 12 and have it hook to the pocket. So for me hooking urethane is no problem. On some nights I can put the arch of my slide foot on board 10 to 15 and bowl more straight up. So my Blue Hammer is good on dry or medium. My ball speed is anywhere from 13.5 to 14.5 for speed with medium revs. The only problem is the ball is all medium blue color. I can still see the revs on my ball going down the alley. My Blue is 14 pounds with a surface of 4000 abralon. I am tempted to bring the surface down to 3000 abralon to see what the change would be as far as hooking to the pocket. Maybe better pin action.