PDA

View Full Version : Found a new (to me) spare making aid - The mental game is becoming more important.

GeoLes
03-05-2013, 01:45 PM
I am starting to approach all spares with a straight ball, and at times fail to "see" the line from pin to mark to approach. I get the line wrong and miss - "dough!!!!"

Mentally, I place the pins on the approach and put my feet exactly where they are on the pin deck. Note the color of the board that produces the line to spare. Set up focus on my mark downlane and roll straight down that line. (of course this is for area center pin spares. 6 or 6-10 from far left through or just inside the thrid arrow. and 4-7 or 4/7 from a hook ball down 2nd arrow).

If you can't see what you are shooting at in your mind, you are destined to miss. If you are unclear in your mind, your are shooting at nothing and will almost always hit it. :)

Tampabaybob
03-22-2013, 08:36 AM
George, there are many spare shooting systems that are in use today and what I've found over the years is that whatever is going to work for you to maintain the highest percentage is the one you should use. I have my own that I developed as a teenager.(MANY years ago) I've taught it to hundreds of people that were having trouble and still teach it the same way today. If you're comfortable with what you're doing than stick with it, refine it, and get you're spare shooting percentage up to 90% +. Spares, to me, are the most important aspect of the game. Many games, tournaments and championships have been lost, just because someone missed a single spare !