PDA

View Full Version : Fundamentals, maybe not so important.

swingset
03-06-2013, 07:57 PM
I admit I've had an obsession with having "proper" form since taking up bowling in my childhood. Probably came from sports where the "fundamentals" were drilled into me, and the importance of having good form as a building block for all skill to develop from. I admit I'm not perfect, but compared to most people I observe bowling and even a lot of pros, I'm more textbook than most.

That's the thing tho, it really astounds me how many very very good bowlers....even champions break the "rules" of good form. Bad swing planes, odd tempo or timing, aggressive muscling, zero balance at the line, poor posture, you name it. Some of the best bowlers on the tour right now have, at least one facet of their game that is considered a fundamental "flaw" yet it seems to not impede them nor does it some of the people I bowl with regularly.

I guess I don't have a point that hasn't probably been made before, but I think I've realized lately that I've put a little too much emphasis on conforming my mechanics to what is considered good form, and probably missed improving on consistency along the way believing that the latter would follow the former. Obviously consistency and repetition are paramount, no matter your form....or the 2-handers would never survive on the PBA, and Mika's lurching would sabotage his game, and Fagan's wrist break would mean inconsistent release...etc.

I'm just gonna bowl more, and hit my marks. :D

e-tank
03-06-2013, 08:13 PM
i was just thinking of this when i was watching a match of mark roth vs amletto monacelli. Even the announcer commented about how even mark roth didnt know how many steps hed take on his approach

mxjosh
03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
I've often wondered this as well. My left arm drops then raises back up again. My coach has repeatedly tried to get me to fix it but it really causes me to lose my accuracy. Ik most bowlers that I see do it how he wants me to do it but I have seen very good bowlers not do it. for example, Chris Barnes has a lazy left arm. It begs the question, do I need to conform or stay what feels comfortable? Im still new enuff to not be able to accurately answer that. It might eventually help my game, who knows.

Good topic op.

ArtVandelay
03-06-2013, 09:07 PM
You said it : consistency and repetition. Obviously the form cant be completely wheels off, butI think with enough practice, even bad form can post good scores, as long as that form allows for some form of consistency. And in time, muscle memory can take over.

But good form is good form for a reason. I do think there are steps that can be taken to increase consistency and increase the probability of a strike. Commit that to muscle memory and you should be onto something!

But for me, its about fun. Im ok with my 185(ish) average (it took a hit as I adjusted to the new balls... I think its more around 179 now). Perhaps proper form could make me better, but I have no question it would make me worse first. To me, its not really worth it. Bowling is purely recreational for me, and Im a top 5 bowler in our little fun league, and beer tastes good, and Im fine with all of that.

Tampabaybob
03-07-2013, 06:47 AM
I admit I've had an obsession with having "proper" form since taking up bowling in my childhood. Probably came from sports where the "fundamentals" were drilled into me, and the importance of having good form as a building block for all skill to develop from. I admit I'm not perfect, but compared to most people I observe bowling and even a lot of pros, I'm more textbook than most.

That's the thing tho, it really astounds me how many very very good bowlers....even champions break the "rules" of good form. Bad swing planes, odd tempo or timing, aggressive muscling, zero balance at the line, poor posture, you name it. Some of the best bowlers on the tour right now have, at least one facet of their game that is considered a fundamental "flaw" yet it seems to not impede them nor does it some of the people I bowl with regularly.

I guess I don't have a point that hasn't probably been made before, but I think I've realized lately that I've put a little too much emphasis on conforming my mechanics to what is considered good form, and probably missed improving on consistency along the way believing that the latter would follow the former. Obviously consistency and repetition are paramount, no matter your form....or the 2-handers would never survive on the PBA, and Mika's lurching would sabotage his game, and Fagan's wrist break would mean inconsistent release...etc.

I'm just gonna bowl more, and hit my marks. :D

Swingset...... i pretty much agree with what you said. I too, had some early coaches that worked on for and not function. But with that said, along the way I had other coaches that worked with me on consistency, and most importantly ACCURACY. I now teach, and have for many,many years, that accuracy is one of the most important aspects of this game. If you throw the ball between your legs, but you're accurate as hell, you'll score well. Every person you see will have something a little different in the way they walk, bend, swing the ball or release it, yet there are many of those people that average over 220.
Of course there's always something to be said for "textbook style" but you can't fit everyone into that spot. As a coach I try to work with what a person has, and then go on from there with minor tweaks along the way. BUT I always insist on Accuracy, Accuracy, and Accuracy as the three most important aspects of the game. It'll get you a lot further faster than changing anything else.

J Anderson
03-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Swingset...... i pretty much agree with what you said. I too, had some early coaches that worked on for and not function.

Reminds me of a guy who bowled in our league in the 70s and 80s. Dave had probably the most textbook form of anyone in the league. Sill he was just what I would call a good as opposed to an average bowler for that era. I think our median average was about 145 back then and Dave was in the mid 160s. Various guys would razz him after a split or solid ten pin, " but your form was perfect."

noeymc
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
i think every adjust made to my form made me better so i think its different for every person look at the pros how many bowl the same not a lot everyone is different

Kobra167
03-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I think it's because versatility is king now. It's not just playing down and in or up the 2nd arrow anymore. When you need more hand or need to come around the ball more. "Textbook" will fail you. Lane conditions dictates how the lane is played. and if you can't alter it a little bit to suit the condition, it becomes one of those, "but i hit the pocket, and all these ___ pins are standing up!" nights. Fundamentals is always important. You can get away with one or two quirks. But if you have like 5 or 6 it becomes extremely hard to be consistent.

UBowling
03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
What you are talking about is exactly what USBC Coaching has been looking at for years in their research. They have come to understand that there is not any "proper" form to bowling. Everyone is different. This is not a sport where speed and acceleration and agility are key, so they aren't like other sports where fundamentals matter so much. It isn't about having the "perfect" form, it is about perfecting YOUR form.

The fundamentals in bowling are more in lane play than mechanics. As long as you follow through and slide on the correct foot, there really isn't any fundamental component to physical play. Improving your mechanics is all about identifying the items of concern in your style and deciding if they are assets or liabilities and taking the correct action if needed.

If you want to focus on fundamentals, focus on spares. Focus on making adjustments on the lane. Those two components are the most important to everyone's game if they wish to become a good bowler. If you are picking up all of your spares, you will be tough to beat.

billf
03-07-2013, 09:59 PM
While I agree with Bob, Levi and most of the posts here remember one thing; if you don't try to fix a flaw you will never know if it could have helped. I tend to get lazy with my balance arm and now know it right away watching the ball's roll. If I had never worked on fixing what some never thought was broken, I wouldn't have picked up so many pins on my average this season.

ecub
03-08-2013, 07:56 AM
I guess the main concern would be the swing plane. As long as you can consistently release at the same point and follow through properly, whatever you do with the rest of your body is moot. I play golf and I know Jim Furyk has a funky looped back swing, but he's consistent at where his swing should be at impact, that it doesn't effect him.

The German Shepherd
03-08-2013, 08:51 AM
While we may think that fundys aren't as important as they once were, remember a couple of things:

- Even the pros with the most unusual or unorthodox deliveries are "right there" at the release point (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5nnDbV0znE)
- Fundamentals were stressed more highly back in the day that more ACCURACY was required. That means something. If there ever comes a time that the USBC stops allowing for blocked lanes, there will once again be a return the stressing accuracy and fundamentals...

Jay

swingset
03-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I guess the main concern would be the swing plane. As long as you can consistently release at the same point and follow through properly, whatever you do with the rest of your body is moot. I play golf and I know Jim Furyk has a funky looped back swing, but he's consistent at where his swing should be at impact, that it doesn't effect him.

Golf really parallels the mechanics of bowling and it's also a place where I push for consistency and classic form. And, yet, there too some of the greatest who have ever played had holes in their swing.

I think about golf a lot when bowling, and vice versa. The same mental and physical rules apply and the discipline of both at the time of "delivery" is remarkably the same....especially with the "impact" or "release". The power game comes from what you do, right there.

Tampabaybob
03-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Lots of good comments here. Over the years I've run across many, many styles that I've worked with and the one thing that comes to mind is that there really is no cookie cutter type of style for everyone. You rally have to have an open mind when looking at one's style and help them to execute the best possible delivery with the least amount of effort and get them to deliver the ball with as much accuracy as possible. Some people start right off turning the s__t out of the ball and that's what's comfortable to them. Learning how to work with those types can sometimes pose a challenge but once you figure out what they're trying to do it becomes somewhat easier. Being a coach means being flexible and not trying to fit everyone into the same box. You work with what you've got to work with, and every individual can bring new challenges. It's a pleasure to be able to bring someone along and see that person come running up to you after they've shot their first 200 game, 600 series or any other new accomplishment.

Flexibility in coaching is important and being able to adjust to the various styles and techniques is just something you have to accept.

Hammer
04-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Fundamentals should come into play if a person has a lousy average and wants to get a good average. Then you teach them the fundamentals of good technique from approach, armswing, proper release and targeting. Once he/she has the fundamentals down then they can incorporate their style of the fundamentals that will work for them to become better. No matter what sport you want to be good at you need to start somewhere and that is with the fundamentals. After that you use your style that works for you. Like what was said you can't cookie cutter everyone to one style.

Tampabaybob
04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Fundamentals should come into play if a person has a lousy average and wants to get a good average. Then you teach them the fundamentals of good technique from approach, armswing, proper release and targeting. Once he/she has the fundamentals down then they can incorporate their style of the fundamentals that will work for them to become better. No matter what sport you want to be good at you need to start somewhere and that is with the fundamentals. After that you use your style that works for you. Like what was said you can't cookie cutter everyone to one style.

Very true Hammer. If you're working with a "very new" bowler, then the basic fundamentals are extremely important. Once you can get them to execute the basics, then, you see what other challenges you may have to work with. Again, every person is different and you have to keep an open mind and be able to work with what you have in front of you.

sprocket
04-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Fundamentals are a good starting point. If I went back to using my thumb I would start working on SOME basic fundamentals. Right now fundamentals don't mean much. Davedamentals mean a lot more.

My name is Dave...

billf
04-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Sprocket, any chance of you posting a video? I've never seen a thumbless power stroker. Most are crankers and I understand why with how the ball has to rest on the forearm. I would like to see how you manage. I'm always looking to get more education, or in this case, daveucation.

sprocket
04-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, maybe "power stroker" is a stretch. I just try to stay balanced at the line and not jerk on the ball. I doubt there is anything really special about my almost no back swing thumbless delivery. I will try to post a video at some point.

Tampabaybob
04-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Yeah. I'd be interested in seeing this as well. I've got some younger bowlers coming up next year that bowl thumbless and their coach (my daughter) goes crazy trying to help them. I've worked with them a little but it's tough. Especially when you consider their parents ran out and got them a very aggressive ball, to boot ! Now we've got a 7 or 8 year old trying to throw an aggressive ball SLOW with no thumb.

So Sprocket, let's see what you do, yo may be helping hundreds of other bowlers across the country. Thanks.