PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to use a bit of car polish?

aussiedave
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
I bought an Ebonite Cyclone only about 6 weeks ago and already it is showing some of those annoying scuff marks that won't come off with mere cleaning. They look like dirt but on close inspection they are a series of tiny scratches in patches.
I used some car polish to try to remove them with some success. It doesn't get them completely out but does a decent job. Problem is it tends to leave the surface finish slightly duller than out of box. I know my local pro shop does a great job with their ball spinners but I just wanted to give it some tlc at home.
What do you do to get these out?
ad.

J Anderson
03-07-2013, 06:40 PM
I bought an Ebonite Cyclone only about 6 weeks ago and already it is showing some of those annoying scuff marks that won't come off with mere cleaning. They look like dirt but on close inspection they are a series of tiny scratches in patches.
I used some car polish to try to remove them with some success. It doesn't get them completely out but does a decent job. Problem is it tends to leave the surface finish slightly duller than out of box. I know my local pro shop does a great job with their ball spinners but I just wanted to give it some tlc at home.
What do you do to get these out?
ad.

As long as its polish and not wax you should be o.k.

aussiedave
03-07-2013, 06:46 PM
As long as its polish and not wax you should be o.k.
Thanks john - it's "Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover".
ad.

swingset
03-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks john - it's "Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover".
ad.

That's fine to use on a ball. In fact, if there's any meaningful difference between fine grit auto-grade polishes and bowling ball polishes, it's likely the label (and price).

billf
03-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Just make sure it's polish and not wax. I use Turtle Wax auto polish. Wax contains silicates that can clog the pores of the ball killing the reaction.

bowl1820
03-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Is it okay to use a bit of car polish?

Turtle Wax's Rubbing compound (red tub) & Polishing compound (green tub) red is coarse, green finer. These two have been used for years as low cost alternative to the other polishes.

http://www.turtlewax.com/images/demostore/products/extralarge/turtle_wax__polishing_rubbing_compound_T230A_T241A _.jpg

YODA
03-07-2013, 10:30 PM

Turtle Wax's Rubbing compound (red tub) & Polishing compound (green tub) red is coarse, green finer. These two have been used for years as low cost alternative to the other polishes.

http://www.turtlewax.com/images/demostore/products/extralarge/turtle_wax__polishing_rubbing_compound_T230A_T241A _.jpg

Yep:) My uncle and my mother both use them on their balls:) cheap but does the job

aussiedave
03-08-2013, 04:56 PM

The green one is it exactly!
Thanks for the tip - guess I'm a good stumbler.
ad.

billf
03-08-2013, 08:44 PM
That's what I use and buff it with a small automotive buffer. It was like $15 at Advance Auto Parts. Comes out real nice.