PDA

View Full Version : Spare ball speed

ghoul31
03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
What speed do you throw your spare ball?

I throw my spares very slow.
When I throw it slow I am much more accurate. I can lay it on exactly the board I want.

e-tank
03-14-2013, 10:53 PM
mine varies depending on where the spare is. I shoot 10 pins fast but 7 pins slow

crimsoneyes
03-14-2013, 11:25 PM
I used to have a terrible habit of muscling my spare ball. I would miss half of the spares I shot simply by pulling it. I force myself to throw my spare ball the same speed and style as my strike balls and my conversion percentage is up towards 90% now.

swingset
03-14-2013, 11:54 PM
My strike ball is usually 15mph, spare ball usually 16-17.

ecub
03-15-2013, 12:10 AM
What speed do you throw your spare ball?

I throw my spares very slow.
When I throw it slow I am much more accurate. I can lay it on exactly the board I want.

Whatever speed you need to accomplish to pickup your spare, without losing accuracy. If you can throw your bowling ball at 21 mph, but lose accuracy, slow it down.

Bowling isn't about how fast you can throw your bowling ball or how big of a hook you can create. It IS impressive, but accuracy is what counts.

noeymc
03-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Whatever speed you need to accomplish to pickup your spare, without losing accuracy. If you can throw your bowling ball at 21 mph, but lose accuracy, slow it down.

Bowling isn't about how fast you can throw your bowling ball or how big of a hook you can create. It IS impressive, but accuracy is what counts.

this

sprocket
03-16-2013, 12:43 AM
If I throw at a ten pin the speed that is shown on the score keeper is about 2mph higher than my strike ball. That does not mean I throw at the ten pin faster than I throw my strike ball. I kill the rotation for the ten pin. Because of that, the ball doesn't slow down from friction. My strike ball does slow down. The speed gun is far down the lane at a point where my strike ball has already slowed down. My true ball speed off my hand for both strikes and the ten pin is about the same.

billf
03-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Depends on the spare. If it's a single pin or anything I'm throwing plastic at then it's usually 6-10 mph faster than my strike ball. Accuracy is paramount so whatever speed you need to stay accurate is your ideal ball speed. I'm weird in that the slower I try to throw the less accurate I am. Definitely the exception to the rule as I've seen it.

mxjosh
03-16-2013, 07:09 PM
keep in mind that the spare ball is travelling less distance than a hook. so speed reads higher. Even when I throw the same as my strike ball, the spare always reads higher.

ShortChanged
03-17-2013, 08:54 PM
I usually throw it about the same speed as the opening shot. It all depends on what pin I'm shooting though, but it usually isn't far off from the speed of my opening shot.