PDA

View Full Version : Can a rubber ball be cleaned to OOB finish in a ball oven?

Hammer
03-16-2013, 11:18 AM
I had an article on bowling ball cleaning on the computer that my wife saw. She read it and asked me if her ball can be cleaned to OOB finish. I said that I didn't know. The reason I said that is that she bought her ball somewhere between 1965 and 1969. So I am thinking that it is a rubber ball. It is a mystery when the ball was cleaned last. She uses it and throws it in the bag until next league night. I have cleaned it a few times with rubbing alcohol. What would happen if I took it to a pro shop and had them throw it into a rejuvenator oven to get the oil out? Would the ball melt or would it be the size of a marble after all of the oil came out? I just want to know if a rubber ball can be cleaned in a ball cleaning oven? It would be interesting to see what it would look like after a cleaning.

bowl1820
03-16-2013, 12:27 PM
There would be no point what so ever in putting a old rubber ball in a rejuvenator , if you want it to look like new.

Just resurface it get all the nicks dings out of it and then shine it back up.

The main thing that could happen is that it would stink, rubber balls stink when you sand them (and that rubber smell stays around).

greycat
03-17-2013, 12:14 AM
I am plugging re-drilling a rubber ball for myself. So, here is some info you decide afterwards what you want to do? If you sand it use water don't let the paper get dry. The rubber clogs sandpaper quickly. You really should wear gloves and clothes you can stain the black rubber gets on everything. I still have black in my nails. You really do not want to breath in the rubber and the smell lingers where you do sand it. Not that you are but drilling a rubber ball you tend to melt the cover with bits heat. Again, the fumes are not good to breath in. After sanding clean the ball with something like shop towels cause there will be lots of rubber and using a cloth towel will ruin it. I really think stick with what you are doing no smart pro shop would put rubber in a over.

austin
03-17-2013, 02:35 AM
I have only ever drilled one rubber ball, and oh the stench.

ghoul31
03-17-2013, 07:21 AM
I think its time to get her a new ball.

Hammer
03-17-2013, 10:46 AM
I think its time to get her a new ball.

That sounds like a good idea. Her ball is only 10 pounds and she throws a straight ball with conventional drilling so she doesn't have to worry about hooking the ball.

J Anderson
03-17-2013, 10:34 PM
You really do not want to breath in the rubber and the smell lingers where you do sand it.

You really don't want to breathe in any particulates whether they're rubber, polyester, urethane, or reactive resin!